Carter hit on Salmela

Derek21

Carter Hit on Anssi Salmela  

109 members have voted

1. 1. Was the hit clean or dirty?

• Clean
    • Dirty
    • Not Sure

it was technically a legal hit but annsi was in a very precarious position. the league is supposedly trying to cut out deliberate head shots. this is a fine line... carter knew that he was going to hurt him and he chose to knock him dead. he was also coming back down the middle, it was not your typical east/west collision over the middle.

i just hope that annsi is ok...all i gotta say is karma is a bitch.

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

So Carter hits him 0 strides after the shot is let go and less than a second after the puck is let go, even in slow motion. Come on, guys are still legal to be hit then, nobody knows the puck is going in the net. Heck, the hit is so quick it's before the goal light goes on.

Agreed, timing is definitely not the issue with this hit. It was after it went in, but not long enough that he could have prevented the hit.

At least this one was a legitimate attempt to separate a man from the puck, unlike a lot of the crap we see on the ice these days. As much as I hate the Flyers and Carter, I'd be hard pressed to say that was a head shot or an attempt to injure.

Strong move to the the net with speed and your head down can put you in dangerous territory. You hate to see that happen, but man, you gotta be alert out there.

See, that's the thing that irks the sh!t outta me. You have the two stooges dressed- send one of them out there and make Carter answer for that hit- it was clean IMO, but he should still have to answer for it. It's been mentioned in other threads and it's spot on- what's the point of scratching Zharkov (who really might have helped tonight) if you're gonna give Peters a lousy 42 seconds all night? Peters is dressed to deal with sh!t just like that, but nothing is done about it. That boggles my fvcking mind.

jeff carter wasn't going to answer for that hit, and he certainly wasn't going to fight andrew peters about it.

At least this one was a legitimate attempt to separate a man from the puck, unlike a lot of the crap we see on the ice these days. As much as I hate the Flyers and Carter, I'd be hard pressed to say that was a head shot or an attempt to injure.

Strong move to the the net with speed and your head down can put you in dangerous territory. You hate to see that happen, but man, you gotta be alert out there.

I think blaming the victim on this one is wrong, wrong, wrong. Salmela wasn't skating with the puck through center ice with his head down. He had just scored a goal and then was blindsided.

If people want to argue it was technically a legal hit, go right ahead. To me, the hit showed no respect for a player in a helpless position. It was a disgrace, and the kind of hit that should not be allowed in hockey. Go ahead and make your arguments, people, you'll never convince me that it wasn't a gratuitous, unnecessary, dirty hit.

Edited by Jerrydevil

Dirty hits win. Of course that hit was dirty. Being legal doesn't make it not dirty. Stevens built his career on that kind of hit. That's why we won cups. Phaneuf hits like that. That being said, where were the rest of the guys when Salmela was lying there?

Carter needs to die and this team better show some guts in NJ... they were smashing us all game

Speaking of die, that's when the NHL will do something about this. When someone is killed.

And how is Salmela by the way? Versus never even bothered to find out during the telecast, in addition to taking too long to show a replay of the hit.

See, that's the thing that irks the sh!t outta me. You have the two stooges dressed- send one of them out there and make Carter answer for that hit- it was clean IMO, but he should still have to answer for it. It's been mentioned in other threads and it's spot on- what's the point of scratching Zharkov (who really might have helped tonight) if you're gonna give Peters a lousy 42 seconds all night? Peters is dressed to deal with sh!t just like that, but nothing is done about it. That boggles my fvcking mind.

Absolutely correct, I dont want to hear well we are trying to win a game etc etc. The fact is to lose is one thing to lose and PANSY out is another. The only guy out there that plays with an edge in my opinion is Savie, and if the goof Peters wasnt going to I wish Savie would have. I am not for blind siding or hurting Carter, but challenge him straight up and MAKE/FORCE him to go with you. Take the 2 minute instigator and move on, but dont let the other team think well we can pull crap like this on New Jersey they wont answer back...

P.S. and I did think the play was questionable from the standpoint of the location of Carter as was mentioned. And also the follow through. The initial hit was forearm but the follow through ended with ELBOW clearly extended. Legal I guess but borderline dirty and needed to be answered for.

Edited by PaDevsFan

Speaking of die, that's when the NHL will do something about this. When someone is killed.

And how is Salmela by the way? Versus never even bothered to find out during the telecast, in addition to taking too long to show a replay of the hit.

Versus actually did give a couple of updates during the telecast. The last one they gave was near the end of the game when they mentioned he was walking in the locker room I believe.

i agree that what philadelphia could've used was a power play - that'd show them not to mess around with our players, otherwise we'll give you a man advantage. set them straight.

So its ok to do that kind of stuff then? So next time its Parise getting hit like that which he already has been by Pronger, and next time they take Parise and he is carted off due to a "questionable" hit, then you are ok with that as well I guess becuase GOD FORBID we give some other team a Power play in a game that hey you yourself was saying in the chat it doesnt matter if we lose now right??

yeah i'm sure pronger woke up in a cold sweat this morning thinking about a fight with andrew peters or pierre leblond. i'm sure we could really show him by getting in a wrestling match with jeff carter.

there's plenty of time to get a guy back - wednesday night may be a good time.

Edited by Triumph

Sounds as if Lou and Lemaire aren't going to send the tapes for review. IMO this is the kind of headshot the league needs to eliminate. If it's not already dirty -- and to me it looks like a shoulder to the face, rather than an elbow. But Bettman clearly says that's dirty. So I vote dirty. The poll question isn't legal/illegal, but dirty/not dirty.

NHL to crack down on headshots, Bettman says (Toronto Globe & Mail, 2010 Jan 27)

Mr. Bettman pointed out that the existing rulebook covers off the majority of such hits anyway.

Hits to the head where the head is targeted by an elbow or a stick or where you charge or where you leave your feet we have punished those acts for years, he said. If you think back to [Marty] McSorley or [Todd] Bertuzzi, those hits were severely punished. In McSorley's case, he never played again. In Bertuzzi's case, he was basically away from playing hockey for a year-and-a-half. So we've always punished that.

What we're going to do with the managers is to see if we can refine the standard on what would otherwise historically have been a legal hit, but where the head is implicated through a hit on the shoulder.

Edited by Shtikl

yeah i'm sure pronger woke up in a cold sweat this morning thinking about a fight with andrew peters or pierre leblond. i'm sure we could really show him by getting in a wrestling match with jeff carter.

there's plenty of time to get a guy back - wednesday night may be a good time.

Thats the point here Tri at somepoint you want to be a nasty team to play against right?? I mean come on thats all i was reading after the Cormier incident that the way he plays is what the Devils need a nastiness etc This team is SOFT. They are good but soft. There is no toughness to this team, and in my opinion that is 1 not the only but 1 reason we show no success in the playffs in recent years. You think Carter would have done something like that if he knew Stevens was on the ice? No he would be thinking damn now I cant come across the middle because I am gonna get my head taken off. Even Dano would have stuck up for him. I mean I am not talking about a wrestling match here, I am saying Salvie takes Carter and lays a beating on him if Carter doesnt want to go then he will stand there and take it like a man or TURTLE like Domi did when McKenzie pummeled him! That is what I am asking for SHOW SOME TOUGHNESS thats all!

Edited by PaDevsFan

jeff carter must be brilliant if he can take stock of everyone on the ice before making a play that is purely instinctual. maybe he should get to work on fixing the economy instead of playing for the flyers.

I love the sarcasm but you know it is true you didnt address one thing I said. You know as well as I do that this team LACKS TOUGHNESS PERIOD!! I mean even the wussy Penguins are more physical than this team. There is nothing wrong with being a bit physical as well as skilled is there TRI? Isnt that the way the Ducks won it a few years back? Teams knew it was going to be a nasty game when you faced them. Thats the way this team USED TO BE!!

Edited by PaDevsFan