Lamoriello: There’s no question Lemaire will be back as coach

brodeur14301991

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If Lemaire stays, I expect some major moves in the locker room.

After Pandolfo and hopefully Rolston, I wouldn't be surprised to see one of Langenbrunner or White moved off for younger talent. Their value can be high depending on the team they're headed to (young squad, playoff hopeful) and the return could be good.

Regardless, we're now obviously years into "the end of an era" and I don't think Marty will sniff the finals again before his time here is through. It's very sad and tough to swallow.

Just wondering, do you believe these are reasonable reasons for the way things turned out?

I mean they might sound like excuses but when you seperate your anger from the results, these are all legit reasons that contributed to the poor finish.

Personally I feel there is something wrong within that locker room but how the hell would I know any better. I just feel that the way Langs acted about his "rest" day was a clear red flag that something was not right. It just seemed like the whole vibe of this team has been off for several months now.

No, I don't believe any of those reasons those are legit. However, I do believe that Lou thinks the team is much better than it actually is, and that is why I very seriously doubt there will be anything more than minor tinkering to the roster.

Take the team from game 5 against the Flyers, subtract Kovalchuk, Niedermayer, McAmmond, Mottau and maybe Martin; add maybe Vasyunov, Belanger, Zharkov and Corrente, and you have your 2010-11 New Jersey Devils. Unless Vanderbeek and Gilfillan absolutely demand a pound of flesh, I don't see Lou making any kind of significant changes to the roster or coaching staff.

Edited by Patches O'Houlihan

No, I don't believe any of those reasons those are legit. However, I do believe that Lou thinks the team is much better than it actually is, and that is why I very seriously doubt there will be anything more than minor tinkering to the roster.

Take the team from game 5 against the Flyers, subtract Kovalchuk, Niedermayer, McAmmond, Mottau and maybe Martin; add maybe Vasyunov, Belanger, Zharkov and Corrente, and you have your 2010-11 New Jersey Devils. Unless Vanderbeek and Gilfillan absolutely demand a pound of flesh, I don't see Lou making any kind of significant changes to the roster or coaching staff.

these are pretty significant changes, all things considered. nothing can be done about rolston. i don't really think that getting rid of colin white is a significant change. langenbrunner, meh, while i wouldn't mind seeing him gone, he's gone in another year.

Edited by Triumph

keep in mind that Lou could can him next week and give this exact reason:

"What I said last week was how I felt. As we always do, we address and make changes when we feel they'll better the team. Today, we feel this is the best move to move the New Jersey Devils forward."

When pressed to answer what changed in one week he can say:

"There are always a number of issues to factor and once everything was looked at in a complete picture, this was the move we felt was proper to take."

I remember when msweet had in his signature "we'll certainly need to get a second line center" as a lou quote after the year brylin manned that role (poorly). that second line center was elias.

my point - the words rarely mean anything.

too bad - Lemaire fvcking sucks.

I thought having Lemaire here was supposed to make Rolston a better player?

I never thought Lags should have been Captain. I think he should be stripped of the C like Elias was and give it to someone that shows a little fire in his belly.

keep in mind that Lou could can him next week and give this exact reason:

"What I said last week was how I felt. As we always do, we address and make changes when we feel they'll better the team. Today, we feel this is the best move to move the New Jersey Devils forward."

When pressed to answer what changed in one week he can say:

"There are always a number of issues to factor and once everything was looked at in a complete picture, this was the move we felt was proper to take."

That or Lemaire's going to be allowed to quitely retire after things die down, or a real long shot which is option number three, he's being kept around until Kovalchuk decides what he wants to do if it turns out he is actually a caveat for Kovy.

Either way I'm not going to panic until I see Lemaire behind the bench for camp.

Just to clear it up, I agree that the reasons you mentioned are not legit excuses either. I guess what I was trying to say is that I do feel they could have played a role to an extent but good teams will ovecome bad matchups and bad bounces. there is more going on here and your point about Lou thinking this team is better then they are is really fair imo.

I don't know. I just keep seeing the same core of players churn out the same results and whether it's a mental thing or an issue with talent, things are not changing. It's the same result year after year.

I personally feel a few players on our roster have run their course here but I'm not going to pretend to know more about the team then the guys that run it do. I just have a big problem with Lou speaking to the media and pretty much saying he had no issues with teh coaching or the players. How the hell are things going to get better if no one seems to think there is a problem?

these are pretty significant changes, all things considered. nothing can be done about rolston. i don't really think that getting rid of colin white is a significant change. langenbrunner, meh, while i wouldn't mind seeing him gone, he's gone in another year.

They are insignificant to me in that I think the end result would be the same as it has been...probably make the playoffs and most likely lose in the first round. At some point, they have to make a decision to stop being Sisyphus, even it leads to some lean years.

Having said that, I am aware that they are somewhat hamstrung with too many mid-30s players with NTCs to change much of the core. They can change the coach though, bring in someone with a fresh perspective and energy. That's something I would definitely be in favor of.

I am very happy about this. Unlike everyone else on this board. I still believe in Lemaire and love his coaching. Of course there are things I wish he did differently, as with all coaches. But he really is the smartest coach and has taught players so much already. And if everyone is still on Kovalchuks balls, after the other game he did say the entire team still trusts Lemaire. So a recap, Lou loves Kovalchuk, both Lou and Kovalchuk like Lemaire, and Lemaire doesn't question Langenbrunners leadership. Somewhere you'd have to break your trust with someone if you don't believe that. Anyone calling for Lou's head is probably the worst hockey fan ever.

Lou has to do something. Although I am not surprised he is saying this, it still fvcking pisses me off. This series was probably a new low for the Devils franchise in the Lou Lamoriello era. Pierre McGuire (and I know he is an idiot) called it "the most pitiful demise of a hockey team he has ever seen." Sadly, I tend to agree with him. I have never seen a top seeded team get worked over by a lower seed like that ever. Usually you see a top seed get knocked out because of some ridiculous goalie performance like Giguere against the Wings, Theodore against the Bruins, Joseph against the Stars, Hiller against the Sharks etc.

But this was something else. Major changes need to be made.

JL signed for 2 years. That's perfectly fine by me if he stays, I know I said last night there was no coming back from last night's loss - but a clearer head this morning feels differently. JL is a hockey genius, but even genius' can't do magic. He's a great mind, and our guys will continue to learn from him next season. I think we'll see more rookies next season in the lineup, and I think a full year under JL will set this team up for a good future.

I don't think JL is the issue, I think it's a talent issue. I know I sound like a broken record, and at somepoint I'll write a thorough write-up about the summer. But I'll give quick ideas, that I've been writing around with today.

Tri, I think Rolston is moveable - some team could take him if we sweeten the pot a little bit. What that means, I don't know. I think Colin White could be useful to other teams - but one of him or Salvador have to go. Since you can't get a good defenseman by trade in this league anymore, I think Pavel Kubina is someone I'd consider signing. Mike Mottau, Martin Skoula are finished here. I'd be willing to sign Mike Mottau for the minimum to be a 7th defenseman but not part of the top-6. I think we have some rookies in Corrente, Eckford, etc. who maybe ready.

Langenbrunner has one more year, like Tri said, but I think if they could get something for him - great. If you can package him and White somewhere, even better. A team like Columbus seems prime for a guy like White or Jamie. I'm not sure what we could get in return - or what we'd want.

Guys who need to go: Peters, Pando, Rolston (I don't care how it's done), Skoula, Mottau, Niedermayer, McAmmond, 1 of White/Salvador and Jamie Langenbrunner.

My today as of 3:15pm fantasy team for next year.

Parise(3.125)-Zajac(4.2)-Zubrus(3.4) - 11M

Kovalchuk (7.5)-Elias (6)-Colby Armstrong (2.5) - 16M

Zharkov(.850)-Belanger(2.75)-Clarkson(1.5) - 5M

Halischuk(.875)-Pelley (.550)-Leblond (.525) - 2.1M

Kubina (5)-Martin (5)

Sal (2.9)-Greene (750K)

Corrente-Eckford-Fraser-Cheap FA (2M/both)

D: 16M

O: 34M

G: 5.5M

Total 55M

Much more to come in the following days.

Lou has to do something. Although I am not surprised he is saying this, it still fvcking pisses me off. This series was probably a new low for the Devils franchise in the Lou Lamoriello era. Pierre McGuire (and I know he is an idiot) called it "the most pitiful demise of a hockey team he has ever seen." Sadly, I tend to agree with him. I have never seen a top seeded team get worked over by a lower seed like that ever. Usually you see a top seed get knocked out because of some ridiculous goalie performance like Giguere against the Wings, Theodore against the Bruins, Joseph against the Stars, Hiller against the Sharks etc.

But this was something else. Major changes need to be made.

As much as I hate to say it, I gotta agree with McGuire. I guess the first couple of games were not that bad but from game 3 forward this team just got waxed by the Flyers. It wasn't even close. I said it yesterday as well, but this was the worst beat down in a series this team has had that I can remember in the last 17 years.

Edited by Sickman