World Cup 2010

redruM

• Replies 290
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ugh.....after such an impressive qualifying run............wining their first 9 and only losing their last meaningless match, Denmark weakly exits against a weaker Japanese team.

So disappointing.

But at least they are only my back-up.

Go USA, I am pumped for tomorrow.

TO ALL THOSE WHO DON"T THINK THE WORLD CUP MEANS ANYTHING TO AMERICANS:

"Student’s video tribute to Donovan a hit"

USA Reaction

It didn’t take long for the images to be passed through to the USA’s training camp near Pretoria and onto the laptop of Donovan himself. For all of the praise and plaudits the goal-scoring star received after his moment of glory, it was seeing the reaction sparked by his calm strike into the bottom corner of the Algerian net that touched him the most.

“Not sure if you guys saw this but it brings tears to my eyes every time,” Donovan wrote on his Facebook account, while linking to Donoho’s video. “Thank you all so much … we can do it.”

Ugh.....after such an impressive qualifying run............wining their first 9 and only losing their last meaningless match, Denmark weakly exits against a weaker Japanese team.

So disappointing.

But at least they are only my back-up.

Go USA, I am pumped for tomorrow.

Au contre.

Japanese football has really improved over the last 20 years. They have got some great players, like USA players who play in the best leagues around the world.

Do not take them lightly.

Same old same old Eagle.

I just hope it's a fair game and the best goes through.

I thought Ghana played pretty well today, nothing bad about losing to them.(other than the losing, of course)

Somehow I think if that first goal happened like that to the Devils, this place would still be going batsh!t about it :P

they got a little sloppy and got burned twice for it, and missed a few chances... yeah... it's a Devils playoff run pretty much :lol:

Au contre.

Japanese football has really improved over the last 20 years. They have got some great players, like USA players who play in the best leagues around the world.

Do not take them lightly.

Denmark ROLLED through a tough qualifying schedule.

The USA definitely UNDERachieved today. The path was set perfectly for a ride to the Semis.

This is a BITTER pill.

The USA played a 45 minute game and didn't capitalize on their chances when they got them... sound familiar?
Somehow I think if that first goal happened like that to the Devils, this place would still be going batsh!t about it :P

they got a little sloppy and got burned twice for it, and missed a few chances... yeah... it's a Devils playoff run pretty much :lol:

(yeah I'd say it sounded familiar :P

Thank god thats finally over. Can the USA please get back to the sports that really matter now?

Nope... the NFL doesn't start till September :P

(wow... no instant replay denies the obvious goal for England :blink: )

Poor showing from the English. Which also makes the US effort rather poor considering their highlight was tying England. Now some will say the comeback against Slovenia and victory vs. Algeria were better but those were games that were expected to be won.

Just a frustrating WC for the US.

Poor showing from the English. Which also makes the US effort rather poor considering their highlight was tying England. Now some will say the comeback against Slovenia and victory vs. Algeria were better but those were games that were expected to be won.

Just a frustrating WC for the US.

This is a good point. Looking back, we may have had a dramatic comeback tie and a dramatic late game victory, but who did we beat that was of any significance. USA soccer is on the way up. Next World Cup maybe we can run with the big guys.

What a great game by Germany. They totally outplayed England for most of the game.

Sadly enough, this day will be more remembered for the poor decisions by referees. One clear goal not given, and another allowed which shouldn't have been (even if a referee sees his mistake, he is apparently not allowed to overturn it). I feel especially sorry for Mexico who was equal to Argentina, but could not get over the injustice.

When will that old fossil of a Blatter finally leave the FIFA, so football can get out of the middle ages and use instant replays...

This is a good point. Looking back, we may have had a dramatic comeback tie and a dramatic late game victory, but who did we beat that was of any significance. USA soccer is on the way up. Next World Cup maybe we can run with the big guys.

I'm really confident for your "next teams".

USA players take the good road : go to Europe to improve .... Your better players are good players in Europe... YOu need more experience and learn how to win football games.

Your natural passion & DNA to always "wanna be competitive" will do wonder in a short time... But your league is way too weak to build a good squad.

You will have to find a solid backup to Donovan too. In 4 years, he will not be exactly the same...

And about the yesterday games... Ok that were HORRIBLE referee mistakes (and instant replays are on the way.. that's a non-sense) BUT there aren't any surprise about the winner... Germany & Argentina were better teams on every aspect.

Germany/Argentina will be such an impressive 1/4

(so will be the Holland/Brazil)

As excited I was about the German 4:1 win yesterday, it also showed the weaknesses of the young squad. The defense is very vulnerable with Mertesacker playing a subpar tournament. If the midfielders have space they can shred any team to pieces. I doubt other teams will let them have that space. I am not sure though they have the mental strength and experience to win “ugly”. A more experienced team would have never let England get back into the game like that as the goal”s” was not a result of offensive brilliance.

I know this doesn't directly have to do with the world cup but Landon Donovan is now being pursued by Everton full time to play in the EPL and Cherundolo already got his contract extended for two years for how he played. There was also some news on Michael Bradley's future on ESPN insider, so I couldn't access it

I know this doesn't directly have to do with the world cup but Landon Donovan is now being pursued by Everton full time to play in the EPL and Cherundolo already got his contract extended for two years for how he played. There was also some news on Michael Bradley's future on ESPN insider, so I couldn't access it

Everton isn't going to get him if the rumors about Man City pursuing him are true:

article

BLOEMFONTEIN, South Africa – Landon Donovan’s pain over the United States’ World Cup exit could be eased by a lucrative transfer to the world’s richest soccer club.

Yahoo! Sports has learned that English Premier League team Manchester City has identified Donovan as one of its top targets in the gigantic summer spending spree by owner Sheikh Mansour bin Zayed Al Nahyan, a member of the ruling family of Abu Dhabi in the United Arab Emirates.

Man City sent a scout to watch Donovan “in all four games” that the American played during the World Cup, according to a source who is familiar with the team’s player acquisition dealings. Another source close to the club confirmed to Yahoo! Sports that there is “significant interest” in Donovan.

The problem is this core's run is over or their best days are behind them four years from now. Donovan will be 32, Howard 35. Dempsey will be older. The US backline was disgusting. The fresh blood sucked, Altidore did a whole lot of nothing, Findley should never step foot on the pitch again. I liked what i saw from Gomez and Buddle but they got little time. Who knows if Davies will ever get back to what he once was? They need some kids to come out of nowhere, hopefully some talented halfbacks.