We don't have enough cap room for Kovy

trailblazer

They sign Kovy and I've gotta think it's bye-bye Parise at the end of this season or next.

Consider this scenario to free up cap space. We trade Salvador and Elias to Minnesota and in return we get Burns and Brodziak, this should clear up enough space for Kovy.

I know Elias has a NTC but if he goes to the Wild not only would he probably be their top LW/go to guy for offense but he would have a chance to play with his longtime friend/countryman/

Martin Havlat.

eh?

Hopefully it means moving Rolston somehow and giving some of that money to Kovalchuk. Parise isn't going anywhere either. As I said before, Arnotts money is going straight to Parise next year. The only reason why I want Kovalchuk is so we didn't give away Bergfors and Oduya for nothing.

Parise is an RFA next year. He's not going anywhere. Arnotts money is going to parise next summer and a lot of other cash. .

I hope not... 4.5 (Arnott's cap) + 3.125 (Parise Cap) = 7.625. Which is just about right (hopefully 6.5-7mm will do).

I said this on another board and some fly-by-night Devils fans started to cry and told me I was "exaggerating".

Even if the Devils sign Kovy, Parise could be resigned for a good price. It just depends on how much trash Lou can get rid of.

They sign Kovy and I've gotta think it's bye-bye Parise at the end of this season or next.

Why? After two seasons (when Parise's contract is up) Rolston is off the books, Langs is off the books after this year and who knows what other cap space gets cleared or how much the cap increases by then.

My main worry with Parise is if we keep losing in the first round or worse every year he isn't going to want to re-sign with us no matter how much cap room we have, he's a competitor and is tired of getting his teeth kicked in.

How about this ? :)

9,9,9,9,9,9, 500k, 500k, 500k, 500k with full knowledge he skips to the KHL after year 6.

I'm not sure if you're serious, but I don't think the cap allows you to make that big of a dropoff in salary. It'd have to be done more gradually.

My main worry with Parise is if we keep losing in the first round or worse every year he isn't going to want to re-sign with us no matter how much cap room we have, he's a competitor and is tired of getting his teeth kicked in.

Now this, is actually a legit concern. In this scenario he irony is, signing Kovy would make it more likely that we resign Parise.

Let me ask this.

Lou doesn't make the deal for Arnott, we have more than enough for Kovy, correct?

There are 2 problems with trying to trade Rolston as I see it:

1. How is Lou going to convince another GM to take Rolston for the next 2 years at $5M per.

2. Even is Lou found a sucker, Rolston has a full NTC.

Now this, is actually a legit concern. In this scenario he irony is, signing Kovy would make it more likely that we resign Parise.

Just the opposite. It is more likely that Parise leaves for greener pastures to find his own team (again).

Lou signs Kovy this season and next season will be all about Parise and his long term contract and the next captain of the Devils. Please, do you guys really think parise is going elsewhere? No way. Lou is not stupid. Relax take a deep breath because parise will get his payday next season. right Lou wants Kovy and still believe he will find a way to get him back here to New Jersey.

Lou signs Kovy this season and next season will be all about Parise and his long term contract and the next captain of the Devils. Please, do you guys really think parise is going elsewhere? No way. Lou is not stupid. Relax take a deep breath because parise will get his payday next season. right Lou wants Kovy and still believe he will find a way to get him back here to New Jersey.

Unless Kovalchuk does a one-year Hossa-like deal, the two salaries cannot co-exist without running the risk that Parise gets to arbitration, at which point you can bet your bottom dollar he'll be another soon to be ex-Devil who was just "testing the market."

If I'm Vanderbeek, I'm telling Lou that unless he can pull a rabbit out of his hat and ship Rolston and Salvador out of town within the next few days to forget about Kovalchuk and have Parise signed to a 7 year $49 to $52 million before the season starts. And even with Rolston/Salvador off the books, it still makes having Kovalchuk and Parise making $7 to 7.5 million each while having enough left over to make sure a good chunk of the roster isn't made up of AHLers extremely tricky.