New Kovy Update ("As the Kovy Turns")

DevsFan7545

Well ... this immediately made me want to post the "There are some who call me ......... Tim?" clip, but when I YouTubed it I saw this one on the sidebar. As a good little NJDevs poster, I felt it was my duty to our French friend to post this one instead.

fish slapping dance

:clap: Horrible confession... my husband actually is thinking about getting involved with Morris Dancing - it all started with musician Martin Carthy...

Can you imagine even? and I say Stevens would be great friends with him... with a guy who wears a utili-kilt and wants to Morris Dancing... <_< fish slapper ohh hey! They're playing ye banks and braes! Sorry watching while posting.

Edited by Pepperkorn

• Replies 12.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I totally agree with you even if I think that soccer is still a kind of a thrilling game in its own way,when its 1-0 and you have been watching the whole game you can see that this 1-0 lead is not something that came just like that.The two teams kind of work hard to get that goal and have to show a lot of talent.

Take USA vs Algeria for example:the game had been very boring from a neutral point of view but still if you were an American supporter you would be so thrilled and on the edge of you seat till the very end because of the empty nets that the team missed all match long and finally they score in the last minutes of the game.

And also Hockey is not a game that all the continents can watch or even afford to play.On the opposites soccer can be loved really easily since its a game that you can play whatever the place you are.

I watched a USL team [the Soccer equivalent to the AHL] come back and BEAT Columbus from the MLS is a US Open Cup match last summer when down 2-0 in the last 15 of regulation time. one of the most exciting matches I've seen in person cause Rochester was knocking on the door all night, Columbus was playing to their level and being very sloppy. Rochester tied it off a corner kick in like the 89th minute, then won it on PKs.

I used to HATE soccer as a kid, but i really got into the 2006 world cup and i was hooked as a fan watching the 2008 European Championships when it was 100+ in buffalo and i refused to go outside before my summer class that night.

We're going on our second straight day of the servers being down at work, so we're all doing absolutely nothing. I hope this Kovy stuff picks up just so this thread gives me something to follow all day.

We're going on our second straight day of the servers being down at work, so we're all doing absolutely nothing. I hope this Kovy stuff picks up just so this thread gives me something to follow all day.

It's time this thread mentions perhaps the greatest time-wasting site: Sporcle.

Particular hockey-themed quizzes:

Calder Trophy winners

Hart Trophy winners

Norris Trophy winners

Vezina Trophy winners

A good handful of other ones related to hockey. And of course lots for other sports, TV, etc.

Go ahead, DIG - get hooked.

Edited by insanity_gallops

ESPN is all about making money, they aren't national public sports TV (NPSTV?). If hockey could make a profit then they'd be the official network of the NHL.

*speaks in droning voice* This... is member-supported... NPSR. National... Public... Sports Radio.

"Stupid public radio! I never got my tote bag!"

Hockey is one of the most intense, athletic, skilled, well rounded sport in the world. It's fast paced and highly entertaining. I can't understand why people don't find it as exciting as I do. It boggles my mind that baseball and soccer are more popular.

Scoops

I still think the Broad Street Bullies made a lot of people think that hockey = fighting, and there's not much else going for it. All those "I went to a fight and a hockey match broke out" jokes came from that team. I think we've been rebounding, but not a lot of people take second looks at things they've discarded as a waste of their time.

But I agree, it KILLS ME that golf and women's bowling get more airtime and viewers in the US than hockey does.

I still think the Broad Street Bullies made a lot of people think that hockey = fighting, and there's not much else going for it. All those "I went to a fight and a hockey match broke out" jokes came from that team. I think we've been rebounding, but not a lot of people take second looks at things they've discarded as a waste of their time.

But I agree, it KILLS ME that golf and women's bowling get more airtime and viewers in the US than hockey does.

I'll tell you something encouraging about Hockey. I'm not rich, and I can't get to a lot of games a year. I usually get to about 15 games a year. (not counting playoffs) Of those games I try to take friends or my peers at work and I always get, "Wow, that was fun" or "Let's do that again." or I didn't know Hockey was this good in person." and I've had those friends call me and ask me to go to games again. My work friend wants to get in on the 'flex' plan this year with me and my gal pal. It's nice to hear from those not usually accustomed with hockey become excited about it.

We really need an NHL films equivalent of the NFL films. Hockey needs more promoting as a sport in general. Specifically in the USA.

We need some 'behind the scenes' footage, more information for the public.

Scoops

1.) New Jersey did have cap space when first start negotiating with him and made it clear that they would move bodies to make it work.

that's fair, but it was pretty clear that ilya was going to test the market.

2.) Kovalchuk wants to win, he also wants to win on his terms. New Jersey certainly won't be his terms.

like i said, it's going to be impossible for him to win on his terms, both financially and hockily. he can have one, but not the other.

3.) You don't need to visit HF to see the young talent LA has. I usually just watch them on tv, maybe that's just me. I guess you could say every team who makes the playof are "poised" to contend. I'm certainly not as confident in this team as I was in the past. Too much dead weight passengers.

those dead-weight passengers are all gone in two years or possibly two days depending on what lou's got up his sleeve when kovalchuk signs. and there have been dead weight passengers on this team since 2003-04.

Calder Trophy winners

Hart Trophy winners

Norris Trophy winners

Vezina Trophy winners

A good handful of other ones related to hockey. And of course lots for other sports, TV, etc.

Thanks!

This one kept me busy for a while. Got 112/150. Totally forgot a lot of those guys even existed.

I really don't get why this bothers fans so much.... I mean it's nice and all... the league is successful it's not going to go under anytime soon... and SO WHAT if the common sports-fan-idiot DOESN'T watch the game... to me that means less front runners and morons so I EMBRACE the cult-like following hockey has because it means less stupid people watching the game!!!

Sporcle! :lol: I haven't done that in a while!

I am sick to my stomach!! I think it's because the dog has been crappin' up his cage -- he's like a freaking ape - not a dog! He sleeps in it and flings it all around the basement... so he splashed me with sh!tpiss water yesterday while I was cleaning up and I think I got E. coli poisoning...

Don't make fun of bowling -- we have a champion on this board I'll have you know. I wish I could bowl. I just have no concept how to get my weight behind it -- golf same thing - I just dont get it. BUT I can TAP DANCE!

:rolleyes:

TG tweet:

Volchenkov admitted that his first choice was to remain with Ottawa, but the Senators' offer was "not good enough."

So does that mean the people here who say "fvck Kovy for not having NJ be his first choice" will say the same about Volchenkov since his first choice wasn't NJ either?

Some people just don't understand negotiations....sad...

TG tweet:

Volchenkov admitted that his first choice was to remain with Ottawa, but the Senators' offer was "not good enough."

So does that mean the people here who say "fvck Kovy for not having NJ be his first choice" will say the same about Volchenkov since his first choice wasn't NJ either?

Somewhat relatedly, Hradek on his Twiiter page says that Volchenkov has spoken to Kovy a couple times in the past weeks. Also has good things to say about Tedenby.

(Sorry for no link, but my browser is acting a bit funny).

TG tweet:

YES

Hockey is one of the most intense, athletic, skilled, well rounded sport in the world. It's fast paced and highly entertaining. I can't understand why people don't find it as exciting as I do. It boggles my mind that baseball and soccer are more popular.

Soccer and baseball just kill me. Baseball is too long and boring and soccer... soccer is skilled no question but it's too many 1-0 games and the utter lack of anything exciting that really get to me. In hockey you can make a comeback 3-0 with 3 minutes left. It's difficult and rare but doable. Soccer... 2-0 with 5 minutes left is a loss for the losing team.

Anyway, back to Kovy... Sign with the dang Kings already and end this drama. Please.

Scoops

Sounds like every ranger fan talking about the devils from 95 - present

Not saying I agree or disagree, just waiting for you to knock soccer's attendence now.

ESPN caters way to much to players, not the sport itself. Although I must admit I watch PTI almost every day. Kornhieser, while terrible in MNF(or was it SNF?) is outstanding on that show, Wilbon I disagree with more then agree, and is too NBA centric.

Although Bevis and Butthead are coming back, I can't tell you the last time I put on MTV. * VH1 classic is in my rotation of channels I check though. Wish they would show repeats of remote control, I'd probaby tune in for that.

* Yes, I admit I'm an old fart

I may be in the minority, but I still feel the longer this goes on, the better for the devils. Once he realizes that the Kings can't afford him, he will take the Devils offer. I don't see a problem with it either, some say he will sulk, why not inernalize it and motivate him?

I'm still tyring to not get my hopes up, but the silence from Grossman is better then the negotiating through tweets imo. Casue he knows(or at least should know) that Lou doesn't play games like that.

yeah, I'm bored, I admit it.

Calder Trophy winners

Hart Trophy winners

Norris Trophy winners

Vezina Trophy winners

I have made quite a few hockey/devils related ones myself:

Here they are:

Pre-Original Six NHL teams

NHL records held by Martin Brodeur (sorry if I haven't updated the specific numbers on some of them)

NJ Devils Head Coaches

American #1 NHL Draft Picks

Top 49 IIHF National teams (2010)

Have fun!