New Kovy Update ("As the Kovy Turns")

DevsFan7545

Oh also...this is now the greatest thread ever. With all the twists and turns and the him finally signing with the Devs out of nowhere...

If there is, trust that ESPN will be the last to report it.

It's the best I've seen in my short stay :)

• Replies 12.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Oh also...this is now the greatest thread ever. With all the twists and turns and the him finally signing with the Devs out of nowhere...

If there is, trust that ESPN will be the last to report it.

+1

This thread was / is better than most dramas on TV/Movies. Best plot twist since Sixth Sense.

i don't think the deal can top 150 mil over 17 years. you are leaving a lot of money on the back end of that deal if so, because they can't exceed 11.8 million per season.

Well if it is 150 mil over 17 wouldn't that put it at about 8.82 mil a year?

I disagree with this.

A 50 goal scorer is not a novelty. He'll bring excitement.

Did Parise or Gionta, in and of themselves, put more fans in the seats when they put up (almost) 50 goals?

Hockey is what it is. Obviously we all love it, but the casual sports observer isn't going to come to more than maybe one game they ordinarily wouldn't have because of Kovalchuk. An exciting team THAT WINS will be what helps attendance. The latter part being more important.

kuklaskorner

RT @dtolensky: Per Scott Burnside, Kovalchuk's deal could top $150 mil!?!? http://es.pn/bauJrK

If this is true, I will :puke:

I HIGHLY doubt lou would dish out 8.8m a year for 17 years. The point of such a long contract is to reduce the cap hit, not plague your team with a huge one. He's not that foolish.

Gaborik was a great signing, and has delivered in the department he was brought in to help. Offense. He's got flaws, but if Kovy puts up the numbers Gaborik was at least on pace to put up (50 goals, 100 points) before he got hurt, we'll be happy.

Despite Gaborik's performance last year the Rags still missed the playoffs that's what I'm talking about.

Well if it is 150 mil over 17 wouldn't that put it at about 8.82 mil a year?

yeah but the whole reason you make it that long is to cut down on the cap hit. so you have to plan for some 500k or 1m seasons in the back there.

at the league maximum:

11.88*12 = 142.5. so there's still 7.5 left on the deal and 5 years left to go. now you can't have it go from 11.8 million to 1 million, it has to gradually decline (something like 11.8 9 6 1 i think is possible but i haven't read the CBA section on that since pronger).

anyway 17 years at 150 million would possibly be worse than derek boogaard.

True (that happens every year it seems) but the team was, at best, mediocre in the second half, which is when interest is supposed to pick up.

While it might not be as noticeable in the point total at the end of the year, I think the coaching is better (not saying that Johnny Mac is going to be awesome, just that you can't do much worse than Lemaire last year), and even without Martin, the defense is improved (but I have an irrational hatred of Martin).

I have an irrational weirdness of Martin just because it looks like his face stop developing when he was still in the womb.

Burnside corrected himself by saying after the Devils contract PLUS the 50 mil he made in Atlanta, he will have made around 150 mil which brings us back to the 17 year 100 mil.

What a fvcking moron. Way to make ESPN that much more unreliable.

Rolston not sure what Kovalchuk signing means to his future, has not been asked to waive no-trade

Rolston has a no-trade clause, though, so he would have to approve any trade involving him. He said no one has asked him to waive his no-trade clause so far

His tone (to the extent one can pick up a tone in writing) sounds like he would probably waive it depending on what the destination is.

Did Parise or Gionta, in and of themselves, put more fans in the seats when they put up (almost) 50 goals?

Hockey is what it is. Obviously we all love it, but the casual sports observer isn't going to come to more than maybe one game they ordinarily wouldn't have because of Kovalchuk. An exciting team THAT WINS will be what helps attendance. The latter part being more important.

Gionta and Parise are not 50 goal scorers. Neither of them have ever scored 50 but even if they had once they still wouldn't be "50-goal Scorers" neither would they equal a Kovalchuk.

His tone (to the extent one can pick up a tone in writing) sounds like he would probably waive it depending on what the destination is.

Yeah TG edited the post after I had already posted the link and quote otherwise I would've used this instead...

Rolston, who has two seasons at $5,062,500 per season left on a contract he signed as an unrestricted free agent two years, spoke as if he knows he might be a player on his way out. He referred to the Devils multiple times as “they” and not “we.”

Pretty excited to see what other FA signings happen around the league since this Kovy thing is done. I've only been checking in on NHL network recently to see the news which takes forever since they are showing those Stanley Cup games and they recap all the trophy winners for that year plus blah blah blah on the chiron.