New Kovy Update ("As the Kovy Turns")

DevsFan7545

• Replies 12.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

One more time for the cap dense (like me), if we're paying him over 17 years, and he decides to retire after 10, we keep paying him his salary but the cap hit for retired players disappears? All that salary the Devils continue to pay is just money shelled out and doesn't count against the cap, right?

No. The cap hit stays for all seventeen if he retires. That's the idea of the deal. He'll retire in like year 14 because it would be small money on the back end of the deal. He won't get paid but the avg. cap hit stays.

EDIT: Oh my bad. THe 35+ rules don't apply to him.

Edited by ben00rs

One more time for the cap dense (like me), if we're paying him over 17 years, and he decides to retire after 10, we keep paying him his salary but the cap hit for retired players disappears? All that salary the Devils continue to pay is just money shelled out and doesn't count against the cap, right?

The Devils stop paying him and the cap hit stops as well.

If it is the 17 year deal, most of the actual money will be paid out in say, the first 10 years of the contract, while the last 7 years has very little money. So Kovy collects 100 million over the first 10 years in real money, while the cap is only affected by the cap hit, which is the contract value divided by 17 years, or $110 million/17 years=6.45 million cap hit(as a made up example. So Kovy retiring after 10 years in this scenario would remove the 6.45 cap hit from the Devils cap and they would not have to pay the remaining 10 million dollars.

this really is ... just weird. He CHOSE to stay here.... HERE? He CHOSE it?!?!?!

I hear ya ... when I heard about it, I flat out said 'no fvckin way!!' :koolaid:

No. The cap hit stays for all seventeen if he retires. That's the idea of the deal. He'll retire in like year 14 because it would be small money on the back end of the deal. He won't get paid but the avg. cap hit stays.

False. If he retires, the cap hit is gone. This deal was signed before he turned 35..

On the other hand, if Rolston retires, we are fvcked and we just pay him 5 mill (against the cap) to sit at home.

is that the official Contract? 17 Years for 100Mil+ or so? Like it's not gonna turn into 2 years for 23.6Mil is it? Cause while I am really excited about Kovy staying...I'm a greedy SOB and want him for his career.

Hey MadDog, my friend, i am delighted to say that you have won our signature bet.

(See: sig)

Haha, you are indeed a man of your word sir! Although if you check a bunch of pages back (right after the announcement was made) I did say I wouldn't make you pay up because of how long it took and what a cluster-f this whole thing became. I'm just happy to be right bro. :P

Ya, that's incorrect.

Ninth!

dchesnokov

Kovalchuk $102m over 17 years. $10m per year for the first 8 years. $7.5 for the next 2, from what I heard.

http://twitter.com/dchesnokov

Can the NHL take a dump on this? 95 mil for the first 10yrs and then 1 mil a year for the remaining 7?

6mil cap hit is great, give simliar to Parise too! (maybe more evened out)

This is so sweat :) I wish I was home and could high five my hockey addicted 8 year old son (the one in my avatar in his Marty gear). Great day to be a Devils fan!

HOLY sh!t PEOPLE!!!

THIS IS AWESOME!!!

I'm so getting tickets to Staples when the Devils roll into town...wonder if i should wear a Kovalchuck Jersey?

We get to see this Magician in Jersey for keeps??? UNBELIEVABLE!!!

Edited by ice dog

And I'm almost positive that you can't.

Yeah, but then again so was SD in a weird, twisted way. (N)Єverson, too. Not great company, you've got there.

SD just went on most people's popular opinions that it would be long, long term to absorb the money/cap hit and 100 million, which we knew since the Winter Kovalchuk wanted.

I am surprised he hasn't come on and posted name calling, arrogance, anger, denial, finger pointing while forgetting why he's been a running joke of (now) three fan forums.

HOLY sh!t PEOPLE!!!

THIS IS AWESOME!!!

I'm so getting tickets to Staples when the Devils roll into town...wonder if i should wear a Kovalchuck Jersey?

We get to see this Magician in Jersey for keeps??? UNBELIEVABLE!!!

I'd love to hear the responses to your Kovy jersey in LA. I wouldn't do it.

Holy sh!t!!!!!!!!!!!! I've been so excited for the past few hours that I haven't been able to calm myself down and actually type out a message. The fact that people are saying 17 years/102 mil is just increasing the excitement. I haven't been this pumped in a while.

- IK wanted to come back to New Jersey cause he loved his experienced with the team last year but money was also a issue.

- Kovalchuk will play the full 2 minutes on the PP and will Qb our PP... GARANTEED.

- The Devils are planning to play a more "offensive" system and will let their offensive stars show off their talent (Parise, IK, Elias, etc) instead of playing a more "conservative" system. That's one of the things IK wanted to know when negotiating with Lou

Kovy quarterbacking with Arnott in front of the net sounds like a good idea.

I knew Kovy had concerns about the system. Hearing that the Devils will open up the play is pretty exciting.