New Kovy Update ("As the Kovy Turns")

DevsFan7545

• Replies 12.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Oh. My. God. When mrthemike posted, I just got an AMAZING idea. We need to kick him from something for luck, like we always do during gameday chats. Since chat isn't running right now, what can we do?

Best.Idea.Ever.

As the keeper of his curse/magic I vote we must do this

Thanks for the pointers Ken!!

Also related to job hunting but not really related to interviews, be careful of scam-jobs. They tend to target those right out of college and there is a good chance that you will be at least contacted by one of these companies. These companies are usually pyramid schemes in or out of disguise. Examples are Amway (used to be Quixtar and before that Amway), Primerica, etc...

Here are some warning signs you should look for when they pitch their job to you:

1) Right away promise a ton of money usually within 5 years. Real jobs discuss salary/payment towards the end of the interview.

2) Saying that you will be your own boss even if you have zero experience with that.

3) Your "interview" is not in an office but at like a Starbucks or Dunkin Donuts.

4) Interviewer sounds like he is trying to remember from a script.

5) Where most of the money made from the business is through recruitment, and not selling the actual product.

6) Asking you to pay for start-up materials or background checks. I know franchises do this, but that is totally different. Franchises actually give you supplies and help you out when you start and make you sign a contract. These scam companies send you only motivational tapes and other useless stuff at high costs. You should never ever have to pay for anything during the interview.

Anyways thats my 2 cents and a head's up. Happy hunting with the job and good luck!

Anyways thats my 2 cents and a head's up. Happy hunting with the job and good luck!

Thanks! Yeah I've seen some of these posted on job sites and they all sound fishy.. Sometimes there are so many that it becomes hard to find the "real" job listings

Thanks! Yeah I've seen some of these posted on job sites and they all sound fishy.. Sometimes there are so many that it becomes hard to find the "real" job listings

Yeah sites like Monster are full of them, so def be careful on that. Best bet is through word of mouth or job fairs. If you go to job fairs, def do your research as to what companies you want to talk to and to see if the companies in attendance is worth it because some fairs cater to specific industries.

I got my current job 3 years ago through word of mouth and a couple weeks later they were at a job fair and talked to people and had a great convo witht he recruiters since I kinda knew the inside already and a week later got an interview. Company I work for now is great, has almost doubled in size in the past 3 years and my salary has gone up by about 67% of my initial salary since I started working for them. Not too shabby:)

Edited by DevsMan84

Yeah sites like Monster are full of them, so def be careful on that. Best bet is through word of mouth or job fairs. If you go to job fairs, def do your research as to what companies you want to talk to and to see if the companies in attendance is worth it because some fairs cater to specific industries.

I got my current job 3 years ago through word of mouth and a couple weeks later they were at a job fair and talked to people and had a great convo witht he recruiters since I kinda knew the inside already and a week later got an interview. Company I work for now is great, has almost doubled in size in the past 3 years and my salary has gone up by about 67% of my initial salary since I started working for them. Not too shabby:)

That sounds so awesome.. TCNJ is doing a career fair in late September so I'm going to attend that.. Never done one before though.. My other good job lead is that I know the GM of the Camden River Sharks and if he can't get me a job with them his wife might be able to get me a job as she is the head of Vitamin Water's marketing dept.

That sounds so awesome.. TCNJ is doing a career fair in late September so I'm going to attend that.. Never done one before though.. My other good job lead is that I know the GM of the Camden River Sharks and if he can't get me a job with them his wife might be able to get me a job as she is the head of Vitamin Water's marketing dept.

There you go lol. Hope you snag at least one of them and enjoy it:)

If I were you I would definitely go for a job with Vitamin Water before the River Sharks!

Job fairs are a crapshoot. Some can be good, like the ones I've attended at Fort Monmouth. Others have been awful, like the one I went to at a hotel in Cherry Hill where the best job available was bus driver.

The absolute worst was at Madison Square Garden. My friends and I -- all fresh out of college at the time -- were lured in because all the local sports teams plus ESPN were going to be there, plus we'd get free ticket to a game at MSG. Turned out the tickets were for a Liberty game. The lady representing the Giants stood at her table yelling, "We aren't hiring! I don't even know what I'm doing here! Give me your resume if you want, but I'll just end up throwing it away!" The only jobs anyone was offering were for ticket rep positions, except ESPN which was looking for Production Assistants (and that's just a half-step above being an intern). Total waste of time.

Do your homework before going. You could either avoid wasting your time or you could set yourself up to make some great connections. Best of luck, man!

all in all, though, i hate gary bettman and i hope dies of gonorrhea and rots in hell

I met a bitter Whalers fan in Connecticut like 7 years ago who wished the same on Peter Karmanok. That wasn't you, was it?