New Kovy Update ("As the Kovy Turns")

DevsFan7545

Not necessarily. They can let the Devils / NHLPA know, but not make a public announcement.

Uh oh... I hope I'm wrong but I just noticed the NHLPA no longer lists Kovy as having signed with the Devils (they had it up last Friday when he signed).. Last time he was taken off this list was when the NHL denied his first contract

http://www.nhlpa.com/Players/Free-Agency/

• Replies 12.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"Ilya Kovalchuk’s revised, second-time-around signed contract had not been officially approved at our press time, but one would assume -- should one? -- that each side has learned from the other and a green light will be flashed by the league.

If not? Well, we'd rather not think about that unfortunate eventuality and we'll leave this endless saga at that."

http://www.hockeyjournal.com/news/2010/09/01_flyerslaviolette.php

Edited by Zubie#8

The PA, the players or the teams affected would have grounds to sue in court to stop this. A fair reading of the CBA is that once a deal is approved, assuming there is no evidence or claim of under the table payments or something like that, there is no agreement to arbitrate. A court would probably issue an injunction halting any kind of arbitration.

the contracts are "under investigation". and they've decided to try them in arbitration. I'm sure they could sue, I'm not so sure it's a slamdunk. setting them in June would 1) be a small olive branch, as releasing the players now is insane, and 2) give some time for the legal process to work itself out.

I'm not saying this is at all likely, I don't think they have the sack to do it.

one thing I'm glad about, I'll never have to hear about this deal compared to Hossa's ever again. hopefully. yes, they're exactly the same. :lol: or Lecavalier's. the guy has a $7.7m cap hit. think Kovalchuk is getting denied with that?

Edited by maxpower

I posted my finding on TG's blog and now it won't load the blog at all.. If I crashed his blog and the contract ends up getting approved I fully expect to be punched in the face this season by multiple fans for giving them all heart attacks

As a hockey fan, I am appalled by the treatment the league is giving the fans on this one. This 5 day wait is complete bush league garbage.

Treatment of the fans? It's not about you or me. It's about the league making the best move for themselves. Do you really think they should sit around worrying what's the nicest thing to do for the fans here?

It doesn't take till the 0 hour to get your ducks in a row. This is posturing, a power trip, also known as petty.

It's not a power trip or petty. The league isn't trying to torture anyone. They're taking a long time because it's in their best interest to do so for whatever reason (my guess is it shows teams that submitting a contract like this will lead to much scrutiny from the NHL - or they may want to stay silent to show that this deal may pass this time but it's not gonna happen again. - It's only been 5 days anyways, which is nothing and the league has only had what 2.5 days?

They should have laid the hammer down on the Hossa deal. Approving that deal opened up this Pandora's Box. That contract had a great chance for an NHL win at arbitration.

The Hossa deal is much different because he was 5 years closer to the end of his contract than Kovy was with the 17 deal. But whether what you say is true or not: horse.gif

Also related to job hunting but not really related to interviews, be careful of scam-jobs. They tend to target those right out of college and there is a good chance that you will be at least contacted by one of these companies. These companies are usually pyramid schemes in or out of disguise. Examples are Amway (used to be Quixtar and before that Amway), Primerica, etc...

Here are some warning signs you should look for when they pitch their job to you:

1) Right away promise a ton of money usually within 5 years. Real jobs discuss salary/payment towards the end of the interview.

2) Saying that you will be your own boss even if you have zero experience with that.

3) Your "interview" is not in an office but at like a Starbucks or Dunkin Donuts.

4) Interviewer sounds like he is trying to remember from a script.

5) Where most of the money made from the business is through recruitment, and not selling the actual product.

6) Asking you to pay for start-up materials or background checks. I know franchises do this, but that is totally different. Franchises actually give you supplies and help you out when you start and make you sign a contract. These scam companies send you only motivational tapes and other useless stuff at high costs. You should never ever have to pay for anything during the interview.

Anyways thats my 2 cents and a head's up. Happy hunting with the job and good luck!

These people are actually recruiting at retail stores now. I have been approached by 4 people this year alone at Target and Best Buy from people promising me a new job opportunity. You can sense that it is shady when they don't give you much details and their business cards are the worst. It looks like it was made on a computer with poor graphics, no company name, and a strange URL that relates to their work

the contracts are "under investigation". and they've decided to try them in arbitration. I'm sure they could sue, I'm not so sure it's a slamdunk. setting them in June would 1) be a small olive branch, as releasing the players now is insane, and 2) give some time for the legal process to work itself out.

I'm not saying this is at all likely, I don't think they have the sack to do it.

The league can cry "investigation" all it wants. The CBA lays out when an arbitrator is authorized to review a decision by the league. While I don't have my copy of the CBA handy, I think it's clear that a post-registration investigation is confined only to the discovery of new facts. The arbitrator is not authorized to review the type of scenario you're describing.

You're right, it's not a slam dunk, but with courts, nothing ever is.

The league can cry "investigation" all it wants. The CBA lays out when an arbitrator is authorized to review a decision by the league. While I don't have my copy of the CBA handy, I think it's clear that a post-registration investigation is confined only to the discovery of new facts. The arbitrator is not authorized to review the type of scenario you're describing.

beyond that, they're not even allowed to do investigations unless there is a system arbitrator in place.

Treatment of the fans? It's not about you or me. It's about the league making the best move for themselves. Do you really think they should sit around worrying what's the nicest thing to do for the fans here?

It's not a power trip or petty. The league isn't trying to torture anyone. They're taking a long time because it's in their best interest to do so for whatever reason (my guess is it shows teams that submitting a contract like this will lead to much scrutiny from the NHL - or they may want to stay silent to show that this deal may pass this time but it's not gonna happen again. - It's only been 5 days anyways, which is nothing and the league has only had what 2.5 days?

The Hossa deal is much different because he was 5 years closer to the end of his contract than Kovy was with the 17 deal. But whether what you say is true or not: horse.gif

Let me rephrase. I understand that we're the little guy and we are always the ones who cough up the cash but don't factor into the equation. I'm just venting.

As for the power trip, I certainly understand waiting till the 0 hour for an approval. Sending a message, etc. Waiting till the 0 hour for a rejection is flat out petty. No question in my mind about that.

Finally, if the league challenged Hossa they would've had a fantastic shot at the arbitration. Why wouldn't the same "retirement contract" and "artificial years tacked on to lower the cap hit" arguments have worked?

These people are actually recruiting at retail stores now. I have been approached by 4 people this year alone at Target and Best Buy from people promising me a new job opportunity. You can sense that it is shady when they don't give you much details and their business cards are the worst. It looks like it was made on a computer with poor graphics, no company name, and a strange URL that relates to their work

Yeah they tend to approach you at public places like Malls and other big box stores. They are creepy and indeed those URL's on their terrible cards leads to a website that explains next to nothing about what the company does or even tries to sell. They are even worse now these days as the economy went down the toilet and more and more desperate people are looking for work.

"new facts" could be construed as the Bloch ruling