Who might accept Rolston?

NewarkDevil5

In my opinion Lou, as a perfectionist, isn't going to want to stop forming this team until it is perfect in his eyes going into the season. Dealing Zubrus would hurt the team more than help and he's going to want some cushion in case of emergencies. This all points to Brian Rolston being moved.

Now we're all aware of Brian's albatross of a contract including its NTC. This means that not only would a team need to accept him being traded he would also need to be willing to go there. What teams fit that description? I guess this question also includes the question of what is Brian Rolston expecting/wanting out of wherever he plays out the rest of his career? Is he looking to be on a competitive team that will have a chance at a Cup?

No team like that would be willing to take on his contract with the lack of work ethic he's displayed in the last two years. So he'll have to settle for a team where he can be a veteran presence among kids. Teams like the Islanders, the Avalanche, the Predators, and Thrashers. The teams where he'll be an elder statesman at the bottom tier of the league.

Now mind you, Brian Rolston in his prior life (from 1995-1999) was my favorite player on the Devils. I used to wear #14 when I played hockey whenever it was available. Unfortunately, that was a very long time ago and its time to move on. Now the question is how to go about moving on.

LA just whiffed on Kovalchuk and Gagne, any chance they get desperate? Past that, I really don't know.

LA might make sense. However, unless they think they're absolutely robbing the Devils, from a PR standpoint, it would be difficult to stomach helping the team that beat you to the pucnch to get under the cap. I also don't know whether Rolston would accept a trade to LA considering he seemed intent on settling down in the NJ area.

Islanders, I could see. LA just whiffed on Kovalchuk and Gagne, any chance they get desperate? Past that, I really don't know.

Is he married with kids? Isles would be the least disruptive if he had a family. Plus he could be a top 6 there instead of 3rd or 4th liner with the Devils.

EDIT: I am assuming his family would live in NJ with him specifically because of the NTC.

Edited by DEV1LDR1VER

What would be the effect of Rolston, being injured during the preseason and no longer being able to play OR not play for an entire year? While I do NOT want this to happen, no matter the circumstances, I was wondering if...

a) would he receive the remainder of his contract?

b) would it require he be placed in LTIR?

I am assuming if this happens his salary is NOT counted towards the cap hit.

At times during the last season he did seem to play with two bricks for feet, but maybe he was injured already? ;)

What would be the effect of Rolston, being injured during the preseason and no longer being able to play OR not play for an entire year? While I do NOT want this to happen, no matter the circumstances, I was wondering if...

a) would he receive the remainder of his contract?

b) would it require he be placed in LTIR?

I am assuming if this happens his salary is NOT counted towards the cap hit.

At times during the last season he did seem to play with two bricks for feet, but maybe he was injured already? ;)

you are correct - if they wanted to play the LTIR game, he'd get his $ and the cap hit would be replaceable. but he's got two more years left and unless he somehow comes up with a career ending injury, this isn't a viable option.

as to where he could go - i still say the islanders are the perfect fit for all involved.

as to where he could go - i still say the islanders are the perfect fit for all involved.

This

the Islanders need an abyss-level contract to hit the salary floor still

and they could fool themselves into think he's a quality vet to have around for Tavares

i imagine lou calling garth snow every day to see if he's interested in bryce salvador, and garth finally relenting, begging him to stop calling. lou is asked, 'so, is that it? are you going to stop calling him?'. and lou says, 'no, i think i'll call him twice a day.'

you are correct - if they wanted to play the LTIR game, he'd get his $ and the cap hit would be replaceable. but he's got two more years left and unless he somehow comes up with a career ending injury, this isn't a viable option.

There's a common misconception with LTIR... the team DOES NOT get credit for his entire cap hit... they only get credit for that part of it that pushes them over the cap. This means that yes, the Devils can replace Rolston if he's on LTIR, but there wouldn't be any real cap space to work with.

Who give a sh$t it's another bad signing by Lou so send him to Albany for the rest of his career.

Yeah but LD, you're missing the point here - he can be banished to Albany, but then his contract still counts against the cap since he signed it as a 35-year old player. The idea is to clear his cap hit, which can only really occur via trade... and he has a NTC. Hence, this speculative thread.