THIS TEAM IS A JOKE

Guest Devsrule

yeah the fire is not there.. this is true... but it's not like you can say

"player X sucks.. he stinks we need to get rid of him" (well ok.. Berglund does :P )

but the fire and intensity this team had last year.. just ain't there right now...

maybe the best idea here would be to start Schwab a game just to light the

fire and have them pick it up for the other guys ya know ???

Just a semi-rational thought after feeling that pain in person tonight :P

Guest Devsrule

This team currently is a joke. The devils overall are not.

But come on. How many blown leads have they been guilty of so far???????

And 4 goals in the third. Who are we the rangers???

When is it not early enough???

This has to be fixed NOW.

The defense is worrying me. This team could get by without offense last year, we had such a stellar offense. However, when we cannot keep a lead, then there's something wrong.

Also, the lack of finishing the play is also a concern. I want to see Madden's chances in the net. I want to see Friesen's chances in the net. Same with Gomez, same with Langenbrunner.

OTOH, it's a mere seven games into the season. As said in seasons past (and will be said in seasons future), it's not the time to hit the panic button.

Don't worry, yet. Concerned is more like it.

Oh I'm exacerbated by the team's play so far this year too...but the offense is the same middling offense we had last year, the difference between last year and this year is the defense isn't airtight - at least right now. Last year during the playoffs the Devils never lost after scoring first, this year they've already lost three times after scoring the first goal (and settled for ties in two other games when they scored first). I don't expect the D to struggle like this all year, though. I suppose I'd be more concerned if the team was losing 1-0 and 2-1 every night cause I wouldn't have as much faith in the offense to pick it up as I do the D.

The defense is worrying me.

So when can Daneyko suit up again...it's just not the same without him. I keep seeing half or Larionovs 8 thinking it's old number 3 out there still... :(

We need the boost only Dano seems to be able to give...I mean, it's just not up to par, Ralfaski hasn't looked good (defensively) all season, White is taking dumb penalties again, and the rookies are still getting broken in. It's not that I'm not happy with the rookies, I'm very happy that they're getting better with each game played, but still...

As for the rest of the defense, Niedermayer is and will always be THE MAN while Stevens hasn't really done much for me (then again, I'm not PK B) ), and Brown hasn't really looked that good to me either. Albelin does seem to be a safe bet, however.

Once we get the defense back in order, then it's smooth sailing. It's not that I"m not worried about the offense, it's just that the offense is ALWAYS something that we have to worry about. It's always a concern. There is something about the offense that does concern me moreso than in years past, however, and that's the idea that this team can't seem to finish right now, they're getting all the chances in the world but they just can't finish it. And no, I don't think we need that sniper or goal scorer, we have a bunch of guys who can put the puck in the net enough times to get the job done -- they're just not doing it yet. (which reminds me, Elias is looking VERY good).

With a shaky or rusty defense, of course we're not going to be able to hold the lead. It's not a huge problem, it's not the end of the world. This team is not in shambles, it's not a lost cause (yet), hell, it's only 7 games in.

But yeah, I miss Dano! :evilcry:

The team is not a joke... There is nothing to worry about. Concern ... well that is a different thing all together. The Devils are a team that relies on defense. If Defense is not getting it done, they will struggle... Yeah I guess I miss Dano too... But I am not pulling any alarms yet....

Has Brown played yet???

They need to have a party - like a cookout or something - relax, clear their heads and start again. It's not a big deal and it shouldn't be taken as an indicator of a big deal. of course having a lameass cookout is my answer to most things :P

well...whatever! just write this off and move on - the last thing they need is to take on this we suck lets press to "fix" things. That's crap and I hate that this board always cops that attitude as if it was easy peasy :rolleyes: you f**kers do it then -- fix your negative attitude- don't give excuses on how the Devils MAKE you schmucks, just get over it and relax yourselves even. And if you tell me to ignore these threads then I put to you to just ignore the Devils losses, blown leads, ties whathaveyou -- really :rolleyes: I think this bears repeating: :rolleyes:

Anyhow a fresh start is in order, that's it.

Edited by Pepperkorn

Whatever is going wrong, I don't think Lou can say it is because the players "mistook kindness for weakness" on the part of the coach this time. Not with Burns.

All I know is that the offense is pretty much what it was last year. Not that that was impressive, but they got by because the D was great. The D (and that's all of it - the forwards, defensemen and the goalie, all have their roles to play) isn't what it was. If they can't clamp down and play the WHOLE game, they are in real trouble and this is going to get ugly. But we aren't at that point yet. But I would hate to be in the line of fire when Burns finally blows over this whole thing....

They need to have a party - like a cookout or something - relax, clear their heads and start again.

:blink:

PK they need to go to my boss' tailgate party again! I had to give my boss updated phone numbers from his management and supervisors, I am neither but he asked me anyway, so I said you had better call me/give my number to Brodeur! :P

It's ugly but let's not jump ship yet. We all know this team--downfalls and mental blocks. They will come around.

I never tell people how to feel, but I will say what people who are bitching loudly about the Devils sound like.....spoiled brats. I'm not saying you are spoiled brats......you just sound like 'em.

This team has some problems to address. Hopefully, they'll be addressed. If people want to call this team "a joke" in October, it's your prerogative. Let me slice some cheese to go with your whine.

Look. There's some work to be done here. We have 3!!! Count them, 3, new defensemen here right now. That's a problem that has to be dealt with. Rome was not built in a day, my dear pannicked friends. And neither will the Dev's defense be. As far as the offense goes. They look better than they did last year. They're just having trouble finishing right now. Give them some time.

Once the forwards realize that they are not as needed to back up the D (hopefully that will happen this year), then they can open up a little. But right now it's "one for all and all for one."

So relax, mon Amies, I'm pretty sure Louie knows what he's doing, taking a chance like he has on this years' defensive system.

If this doesn't work this year, you will all be in my prayers to be alive next season when we get to do this again. But my money will always be on the Devs, as long as the system keeps running the way it is right now. :soap:

The Devils never had an explosive offense. They relied on defense and Marty to win close games. The Defense isn't as good right now as last seasons defense. Marty isn't playing as well this season so far as he did last season. That being said they Devils will have their loses and at home against weak and strong teams.

It's really not time to trade anyone because the players they have to trade won't bring a saviour for the offense.

Accept they have a weak offense with very few only 1 first line player.

It's too early to pick up a defenseman that might shore up the unsettled defense and may not be needed as soon as some of these defensive players get experience and timing working together. Rafalski is making mistakes trying to cover for the other defenseman. White is trying to do too much. Marty isn't as sharp as he could be, STAR hangover. Niedermayer is the offense and he is carrying too much of the load and isn't healthly.

Time on the ice will fix the problems or they will be mentally broken and waste the season.

It depends on how you measure them IMHO they weren't the best team in the East last season even though they won the CUP. The Ducks weren't the best team in the West last season either but they were in the finals. Defense is key but offense is necessary against better teams. Attitude is a must against weaker team. The Devils need to work on both.

Geez GR, you had a good post somewhere on the board recently, now you go and write this.

"The Devils have never had an explosive offense." . Hm. 2000-01 isn't that far away. That team was arguably the best offense in the league.

"They have a weak offense." True and not true. Their offense has played weak. If you're taking weak to mean less than average, maybe their offense is less than average. I'd put them in the middle of the pack offensively.

"It's really not time to trade anyone because the players they have to trade won't bring a savior." Well, first off, you can never bring an offensive "savior" in. What you can do is augment the offense by bringing a great offensive player in. It is very unlikely that this player will play to his level, and the longer you wait to bring this player in, the less likely he will play to his level in the playoffs. And I agree, right now, they can't make a deal for an excellent offensive player. But if Lou needed that player in March, he could get it by dealing either Hale or Martin. And he's going to need that player to come in to go deep into the playoffs again. But I digress.

I see we're taking shots at Stevens again, didn't you learn your lesson when Stevens played through a concussion and ended up with the top +/- rating for defensemen in the playoffs?

Whatever is going wrong, I don't think Lou can say it is because the players "mistook kindness for weakness" on the part of the coach this time. Not with Burns.

So let me just say really fast even though this isn't realy the time yet. Burns will accept full accountability and try any and everything in his power. I'm just saying that a good coach, like a good director, will always beleive it is HIS responsibility to get the best out of his players. If a guy is playing like crap it's the coaches job to figure out what buttons to push to make things happen on whatever level be it skills, a hidden injury, and naturally every level of psychology you've got. If they suck it's his fault and if they're great it's all them.

I suspect what gives Burns an edge over Robinson is he clearly states the expectations all the way down the line. That's quite a gift - it's not unbending, which maybe he was earlier in his career and maybe you can mistake it for that as a player, especially if you don't want to meet the expectation :evil: But see that's what I'm trying to articulate here -- that Burns will seriously work on not losing his players. he's not going to be one of the team but he's not going to wax tyranical on their a$$ at the drop of a hat either.

I sort of feel like the real fun would be in sitting in on these practices even more than the games! Imagine all the REAL hockey work you'd see! You know? I mean, in acting the best moments the real moments of perfection often happen in rehearsal! I dont know though because in practice your conflict isn't full throttle against you like it is in a real game. :wacko: whoa....man I'm just this side of spinning out on a serious hockey delerium here... i think I'd better find a place on my website to put my inane thoughts :evil: I just don't understand this love for hockey I've aquired...I'm all befuddled even!