So who's you secondary team

Daniel

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't care if you were the 1st fan into the building the day they opened the franchise.

I'd would rather have 100 guys that started watching in 1995 and will live or die by this team than folks like you that run and cause a big stink during dark times.

You can be dissatisfied with the "on ice product", object to GM decisions, or hate players or coaches - you don't have to AGREE- but finding another team is FAIRWEATHER.

Your a pisser and a whiner - you can find a secondary team without announcing it to the board or posting it on an NJDEVS board - you can do that sh!t on HF Boards - you knew what you were doing.

You want to see a "crap product" go to FLA, go to PHX in the day, or ATL. You've seen "Crap" for twelve games and are bitching like this team hasn't given you anything for your $$$ over the years.

If you don't want to follow this team or support a crap team - thats your decision - but lead your infantile mutiny on another board.

This is for DEVS fans - good times or bad - pro and con opinions. I'm all for differing viewpoints, but renouncing loyalty to a team by rooting for another (especially when they are far from out) shows your true colors.

No but you can voice an opinion (which you have no problem doing) without crossing the line and throwing a temper tantrum.

Agree 100%. Win or Lose there is no other team for me. I would love to be able to afford to go to games= win or lose!

Edited by Devs1965

wtf? Islanders? Do you have a secondary wife or girlfriend when your current one sucks or is cranky? Well....don't answer that. Devils until game 82. If no playoffs for us then maybe i'll pick a team to watch during the playoffs.

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Win.

My secondary team is the Knicks, because I feel the same way as this guy. I am Devils and Devils only until they are eliminated, then I might pick a team if I like any of them.

Haha. Spoiled fairweather fans. Devils through thick and thin.

For me this thread isn't "What team will you root for now that the Devils suck", it's more like "Who is your second favorite team"... And I have always said the Coyotes are my 2nd team.. I'll stick with the Devils no matter what, but I enjoy following another team that resembles the Devils circa early 90's.. We play them once a year so I don't see why it's bad to root for them as well.. I also only give them about 1/10th the passion I do for the Devils

Edited by Colin226

Are you a hockey fan and/or a Devils fan? Who are you going to root for during the playoffs if(and probably when) the Devils don't make it. I'm sure last year many of us were rooting for the Habs, Blackhawks, Canucks etc. It's not like beign a fairweather fan. We all want to see the Devils succeed but we suck and watching us suck only goes so far. Sometimes you just need to have another horse in the race especially if your horse is out of it.

To me their is NO SECONDARY team. It is the Devils through the good and the bad. Lord knows many Devils fans and myself went through the bad and worst of times in the 80's and this season sort of reminds me of that 1983-1984 Devils team. There is a difference as this years team has the talent, the goaltending and the players/scorers to turn this team around. Its still somewhat early in the season only 12-games in, but this Devils team just needs to get on a winning streak to get back into the race in the division and the EC. I believe this team can do it and pull themselves out of this slow start.

As for other teams there is NO other team I like in the EC, but I do like and follow some teams in the WC that I like but could never be a secondary team while the Devils are still playing and in the playoff hunt. The Devils should be the only team through the good and the bad. The Devils and our fans have been fortunate for (the last 14 years straight) making the playoffs every year and having at least a chance to win it in all these years. I don't see a reason to just quit and give up on this team just because they are having a bad start of the season in their first 12-games. It's crazy hearing some of these Devils fans. For some its a shame you didn't experience the nightmares and bad seasons in the 80's because this is nothing this season compared to those bad years. Stay positive Devils fans as I believe this team when healthy will turn it around. I just hope it is sooner and not too much later.

To me their is NO SECONDARY team. It is the Devils through the good and the bad. Lord knows many Devils fans and myself went through the bad and worst of times in the 80's and this season sort of reminds me of that 1983-1984 Devils team. There is a difference as this years team has the talent, the goaltending and the players/scorers to turn this team around. Its still somewhat early in the season only 12-games in, but this Devils team just needs to get on a winning streak to get back into the race in the division and the EC. I believe this team can do it and pull themselves out of this slow start.

As for other teams there is NO other team I like in the EC, but I do like and follow some teams in the WC that I like but could never be a secondary team while the Devils are still playing and in the playoff hunt. The Devils should be the only team through the good and the bad. The Devils and our fans have been fortunate for (the last 14 years straight) making the playoffs every year and having at least a chance to win it in all these years. I don't see a reason to just quit and give up on this team just because they are having a bad start of the season in their first 12-games. It's crazy hearing some of these Devils fans. For some its a shame you didn't experience the nightmares and bad seasons in the 80's because this is nothing this season compared to those bad years. Stay positive Devils fans as I believe this team when healthy will turn it around. I just hope it is sooner and not too much later.

when i was in buffalo, i pulled for them after we got knocked out of the playoffs because it was an amazing atmosphere in the city when they went on their back to back ECF appearances, and they typically ended up against whoever ko-ed us. i still try to catch their games here or there because i also knew a handful of the players from encounters up there over the past 7 years, i.e. myers, pominville, ennis, campbell [before he was traded to SJ], and miller. most of them even came to the school for students with developmental disabilites that i worked at, including myers, gerbe and ennis who were there today apparently,and campbell still runs a golf outing for them. i have tremendous respect for them on an individual basis as well as their organization.

as for the western conference, i dont mind the northwest division [except for mr beans team]

Edited by jagknife

Are you a hockey fan and/or a Devils fan? Who are you going to root for during the playoffs if(and probably when) the Devils don't make it. I'm sure last year many of us were rooting for the Habs, Blackhawks, Canucks etc. It's not like beign a fairweather fan. We all want to see the Devils succeed but we suck and watching us suck only goes so far. Sometimes you just need to have another horse in the race especially if your horse is out of it.

I watch the games to watch hockey. I don't start rooting for someone once the Devils are gone, I just root for interesting hockey.

Unless it gets completely unbearable, I'll still watch as many Devils games as I can (although I certainly won't pay anything to go to a game).

More that I'd like to have at least something to root for.

Maybe it's just one part of the your team sucks twelve step program.

Daniel, you are such a freaking frontrunner. The Devils have given us solid hockey pretty much non-stop since 1988. A bad start through the first 10 games and you're jumping ship? Pathetic. I'm actually embarrassed that you call yourself a Devil fan.

Does anyone have a secondary team they root for when the Devils are clearly out of contention? (To all Kool-Aid drinkers, the Devils will finish at the bottom five at the end of the year, and hopefully bottom two for purposes of a draft pick while we're at it).

Me personally, I have a soft spot in my heart for the Islanders. So let's go Isles, and hopefully the Rangers end up only slight less worse than the Devils this year (again for draft pick purposes, while still not making the playoffs).

DEVILS DEVILS DEVILS - YOU TRAITOR!!

Edited by rpaq88

guy def. gets a little dramatic i think and seriously lmao at the audacity of being a seasoned contributor to a devil message board and asking its members who to root for considering the devils would prob be better off losing the majority of the games they have left...

that being said...Boston baby because if your going to root for a team root for the eventual winner

as for lou retiring...jeez that could end up being extremely bad

suggested reading for the night

baf2c060ada0a5ef7c0c9110.L._SL500_AA300_.jpg

I don't understand why all of these pussies keep bitching about this thread...i know what your asking Daniel but everyone else is just bitter cause the KovalCup isn't looking too good right now

but to answer your question: I don't have one secondary team, I usually find myself cheering for the underdog like the Leafs Oilers and Thrashers. But I do like seeing the Kings, the Blues and the Blue Jackets win...so yea I like seeing a lot of teams do well.

It was fun rooting for Halak in the playoffs last year, and while I understand what Montreal was thinking when they let him go it still surprises me that they did.

When the Devils aren't on and I'm watching two other teams play, I'll occasionally pick one to 'root for'. That lasts for that game and ends with the buzzer :) I watch a lot of sports on TV with my 9 year old son, and he loves to have a horse in the race no matter what he's watching; it just makes the watching more exciting for him. We were probably all like that as kids (though that's 40 years ago for me - I get the distinct feeling most of you guys are 20-25).

I see no harm in following or enjoying other teams play too... after all it's just sports, I mean I know we have our passions and our hang-ups (and I think I've been through one or two too many life changing experiences to let this drive me crazy anymore :P)

and lets be honest.... we all may love the Devils, but we love THE SPORT first and foremost (I'm the same in football) and there is something to be said for enjoying the sport played at its highest level.... long as you're not cheering for a rival team.... or the Pond Scum in Anaheim :rant:

If you're not having fun and ENJOYING the game.... what the hell is the point after all????

and lets be honest.... we all may love the Devils, but we love THE SPORT first and foremost (I'm the same in football)

Speak for yourself, I'm pretty much emotionally out of the NHL when the Devils get eliminated. Unless I have a black hat (rival team) still in the mix that I'm rooting against anyway. I'm the same way with the Mets too, I don't spend much time on the baseball playoffs or stretch drive when they're out of it by July.

It's a little different in the NFL with one-game seasons but in the NHL or MLB I don't have the interest to watch two random teams play full games in a seven-game series. I'll turn it on here and there, but I won't be watching whistle to whistle.