fourth overall pick!!!!!!

depths of HELL

IMO, if you want a lead on who the Devils will pick then read the back-story of the candidates. Almost always, LL goes with the individual that has shown strong personal character in dealing with life's issues.

Character, Leadership, Dealing with adversity etc seem to be things that LL uses to help decide who he picks. Not always but often enough to give us a lead on who our pick will be.

• Replies 152
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

This board is kinda funny.

I started a thread earlier this year saying I was having a hard time watching the games because it was obvious that we were too far back to make the playoffs.

I absolutely HATE watching the team lose.

And even if they won, all it meant was that they were moving further and further away from getting a decent draft pick.

I was ridiculed on two basis:

(1) Psychologically, wins are good. And wins means Zach is more likely to stay with the team. And it gives the rest of the team confidence going into next year.

(2) This draft has no clear top players, so picking 1 thru 10 mean you get a good player, but no superstar. One pick is about as good any other pick in that range.

I give credence to point #1, though it is immeasurable. Happiness factor isn't something that they put on the back of your Upper Deck card. Even if they start next year well, you can't prove that it wouldn't have happened just the same had we finished last overall.

However, it's funny how I was pummeled by multiple people with point #2 and some of those same people are happy happy happy that we moved from 8th to 4th.

:rolleyes: - obviously, you're more likely to get the player you want at 4 instead of 8. plus there's a difference between finishing 8th and winning the draft lottery and finishing 4th because you sucked.

max: no. there's no reason to put an 18 year old player in the nhl with the team NJ has right now. i don't care who he is.

I cannot see RNH being avalaible for the Devils in 4th, i think Edmonton take him 1st overall.

I can see Colorado adding Larsson with the second pick, although they are in need of wingers so they could take Landeskog. But i think they can still effectivly address tat issue with the number 11 pick they have from St Louis.

If Larsson is still avalaible then Florida takes him, they have Gudbranson but they need more at the back. If not then i can see them taking Cotourier.

I can see it going:

1. Edmonton- Nugent-Hopkins

2. Colorado- Larsson

3. Florida- Cotourier

4. New Jersey- Landeskog

I'm thinking Edmonton takes Larsson, since they have an abundance of good young forwards and could use a stud defenseman. Then I could see Colorado happily take the "consolation prize" of Nugent-Hopkins.

:rolleyes: - obviously, you're more likely to get the player you want at 4 instead of 8. plus there's a difference between finishing 8th and winning the draft lottery and finishing 4th because you sucked.

max: no. there's no reason to put an 18 year old player in the nhl with the team NJ has right now. i don't care who he is.

yup, devils have never been a team to bring in a kid and with a stacked team we have, we already have problems playing the amazing kids we have in ahl. he will wait his turn. hopefully the year after when we dump rolston he can come up depending on his position.

You have to believe that any of those guys would love to be drafted by the Devils.. No rebuilding like you see on the top 3 teams.. It was a fluke and mystery why the Devils were so bad this season, but I'm convinced we'll drafting 20+ next season :cheers:

You have to believe that any of those guys would love to be drafted by the Devils.. No rebuilding like you see on the top 3 teams.. It was a fluke and mystery why the Devils were so bad this season, but I'm convinced we'll drafting 20+ next season :cheers:

Larsson would have more reason to be happy ...

for nationality reason of course... and D tradition.

if there's one thing in this draft i would bet strongly on, it's edmonton taking ryan nugent-hopkins. i'd be shocked if they took larsson.

ding ding ding. For all the good young forwards that the Oilers have, I still don't believe they'd pass on the player who is widely considered the best in the draft. Hall is a winger, as is Paajarvi. Eberle has spent time at both center and wing. Gagner is a center, but is looking less and less like a top-flight center. Cogliano is a mess and is attempting to retool his game to be a checking center.

So if they are trying to see top-2 line combos of centers with wingers, Hall should slot into that first line LW position. His center, however, is the question. Nugent-Hopkins sounds like he could be that player. If they strike gold with a quality forward with the first overall pick - even if he's more Tavares than Stamkos in terms of production - they will have a set of fast, skilled forwards on the cheap for years to come. This would enable them to spend their money on UFA defensemen who become available, or make trades to acquire that talent.

Also, let's not overlook the fact that Edmonton has a handful of draft picks in the first few rounds:

1st - EDM (1st overall) & LAK

2nd - EDM

3rd - EDM & CGY

4th - EDM & PIT

7 picks in the top 4 rounds, including picking at the top of each. Nothing to prevent them from "going defense" with a bunch of their later picks.

I worry about Couturier simply because of how far his stock has fallen. I wonder if Huberdeau is now a better pick assuming Larsson, Landeskog, RNH are all gone by the time our pick comes around.

I worry about Couturier simply because of how far his stock has fallen. I wonder if Huberdeau is now a better pick assuming Larsson, Landeskog, RNH are all gone by the time our pick comes around.

couturier falling is one of those instances where the guy is the consensus #1 overall before the season starts, but there's flaws in his game. since he didn't magically correct all those flaws, the scouts begin picking his game apart and start looking at other guys whose games they haven't completely picked apart who've had excellent seasons.

huberdeau is playing a lot of left wing these days. when a guy isn't sticking at center in junior, that's trouble. it normally wouldn't be a huge problem, but we have a left wing locked up for 14 more years, and hopefully another left wing locked up for a long time as well. plus tedenby and henrique.

i will be upset if the devils took anyone over couturier.

Edited by Triumph

couturier falling is one of those instances where the guy is the consensus #1 overall before the season starts, but there's flaws in his game. since he didn't magically correct all those flaws, the scouts begin picking his game apart and start looking at other guys whose games they haven't completely picked apart who've had excellent seasons.

huberdeau is playing a lot of left wing these days. when a guy isn't sticking at center in junior, that's trouble. it normally wouldn't be a huge problem, but we have a left wing locked up for 14 more years, and hopefully another left wing locked up for a long time as well. plus tedenby and henrique.

i will be upset if the devils took anyone over couturier.

I agree with taking Couturier over Huberdeau, but I'm gonna play Devils Advocate

1. Couturier is in his 3rd season, Huberdeau is in his first full one

2. It looks like Huberdeau has the potential to be more dominant offensively (a lot of people see similarities to him and Giroux)

3. It's not imperative to specifically go after a two way center. We have Josefson and Zajac

I'm thinking Edmonton takes Larsson, since they have an abundance of good young forwards and could use a stud defenseman. Then I could see Colorado happily take the "consolation prize" of Nugent-Hopkins.

Edmonton is very high on RNH, i think its pretty much a lock they take him first.

to me this draft has become very simple. if couturier's there, take him. if larsson is there, take him. if landeskog is there, take him.

Totally agree.

http://www.mynhldraft.com/NHL-Mock-Draft/ now has the Devils picking Jonathan Huberdeau. I think if they do that that would trade down a few spots.

Ryan Murphy looks interesting but probably too much offence for the Devs.

There are serious questions about Murphy's game in his own end, he is not really what you would call a Devils pick, there are better defensemen avaliable in the draft than Murphy.

Its not really a case of his stock falling, its a case of that of others rising around him. Having said that there are still a few flaws to his game that need working on.

to me this draft has become very simple. if couturier's there, take him. if larsson is there, take him. if landeskog is there, take him.

i like it!

can't believe we pulled out rabbit out of a hat and won the lottery...feels like poetic justice considering the devils stuck to winning 1st while a team like ott was so quick to begin a rebuild :boogie:

The following features the 4th pick in the last 10 drafts:

00) Klesla (CBJ) Devils: Hale 22nd

01) Weiss (Fla) Devils: Foster 28th

02) Pitkanen (Phi) Devils: traded to Dallas

03) Zherdev (CBJ) Devils: Parise 17th

04) Ladd (Car) Devils: Zajac 20th

05) Pouliot (Min) Devils: Bergfors 23rd

06) Backstrom (Was) Devils: Corrente 30th

07) Hickey (LA) Devils: thanks to Malakhov (or Lou's mistake)

08) Pietrangelo (STL) Devils: Tedenby 24th

09) Kane (Atl) Devils: Josefson: 20th

10) Johanson (CBJ) Devils: traded for Kovalchuk

Although I am excited to see the Devils moved up, but besides Backstrom, none of the rest is considered a No. 1 material (yet) or No. 1 D yet although Pietragelo and Kane are relatively raw. Weiss is a first -liner in Fla by default. So, base on the histroy, I am not thrilled with the #4 pick and let's hope the Devils' draft philosophy will make a difference.