GDT: 11/20/17 NJ Devils @ Minnesota

CommonDreads

1 minute ago, Martyisth3b3st said:

Triumph basically posted what I was going to say. Next day thoughts:

1. Travis Zajac doesn't belong on the top-6 right now. He's a brilliant checking center and seems perfectly suited to take on the third-line center role, once Henrique makes his way back into the top-6. 

2. Stafford needs to be the player in the press box once MoJo is healthy. He's pretty brutal out there, doesn't seem to be doing much of anything right.

3. I was pissed at Schneider until I saw the replay this morning. Boyle literally planted himself 4 inches in front of Cory on that tying goal and then... didn't do anything. He actually turned his head to watch the puck fly past his left shin guard and into the net. I can't imagine that was the coaching staff telling him to camp out there, but I blame them for even having him on the ice. I get that he's a good faceoff guy, but so is Zajac, I'm getting sick of Boyle out there already and it's only been a few games; he's too slow to be productive, and he's too weak to use his size. Again, this isn't a "of course he's weak, he had cancer" comment -- his biggest knock for years is that he's the tallest guy on the ice but plays like a frail woman. 

4. Santini is blossoming into the defenseman we all prayed he would be. It's exciting to watch

1) Like Tri, really hoping Zajac is just finding his game, because not only do the Devils sorely need what he can potentially bring, he's also still getting paid pretty handsomely.

2) Agree on Stafford, looks like he's on his way to Healthyscratchland at this rate. 

3) I see a narrative forming that Schneider is somehow unclutch, but I really think he's a product of a lot of mess in front of him.  Wild were friggin' all over the Devils once it became a 3-1 game, and it's not like we haven't seen that before, especially when the other team pulls its goalie.  Cory is still above-average, but the guy can only make so many big saves, and he's made plenty.  

4) Nice to see one of the youngins developing.  We saw how it went with Merrill and Gelinas.  I'm still iffy on the Minus Man (Severson), but he's definitely been better this season than last.   

• Like 1

I feel like our game has taken a hit since Boyle and Zajac both entered our lineup. Shero built this team to be fast and relentless and I feel like they are not built for what this team does. Zajac I agree should be a 3rd line center once Zacha finds his game. And I dunno what to do with Boyle. But the beginning of the season I felt this team was flying without them

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, Bonginator11 said:

I feel like our game has taken a hit since Boyle and Zajac both entered our lineup. Shero built this team to be fast and relentless and I feel like they are not built for what this team does. Zajac I agree should be a 3rd line center once Zacha finds his game. And I dunno what to do with Boyle. But the beginning of the season I felt this team was flying without them

Agreed.  Zajac I'll cut some slack for now - hopefully meshes better into the system once he gets his full game back.

Boyle... I just don't know.  He looks so.. slow..

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Jimmy Leeds said:

He is literally a foot and a half right in front of him. Horrid

And 8 feet above him!

1 hour ago, Martyisth3b3st said:

Triumph basically posted what I was going to say. Next day thoughts:

1. Travis Zajac doesn't belong on the top-6 right now. He's a brilliant checking center and seems perfectly suited to take on the third-line center role, once Henrique makes his way back into the top-6. 

2. Stafford needs to be the player in the press box once MoJo is healthy. He's pretty brutal out there, doesn't seem to be doing much of anything right.

3. I was pissed at Schneider until I saw the replay this morning. Boyle literally planted himself 4 inches in front of Cory on that tying goal and then... didn't do anything. He actually turned his head to watch the puck fly past his left shin guard and into the net. I can't imagine that was the coaching staff telling him to camp out there, but I blame them for even having him on the ice. I get that he's a good faceoff guy, but so is Zajac, I'm getting sick of Boyle out there already and it's only been a few games; he's too slow to be productive, and he's too weak to use his size. Again, this isn't a "of course he's weak, he had cancer" comment -- his biggest knock for years is that he's the tallest guy on the ice but plays like a frail woman. 

4. Santini is blossoming into the defenseman we all prayed he would be. It's exciting to watch 

1. He never did, honestly. That's been the type of player he has always been, he was just forced into a different role by lack of options. 

2. He could be healthy scratched a bit right now for Hayes. When Johansson comes back, he would almost have to be the odd man out. 

3. If there is anywhere on the ice a slow behemoth like Boyle should not stand, its that exact spot where he was standing. 

4. He is exciting, but he also seems to not understand that he can't just wrap his arm around a guy without being penalized for it. He did that twice in last night's game and I was annoyed both times because I knew he was going to do it, I saw it coming and he did exactly as I thought. 

24 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

And 8 feet above him!

1. He never did, honestly. That's been the type of player he has always been, he was just forced into a different role by lack of options. 

2. He could be healthy scratched a bit right now for Hayes. When Johansson comes back, he would almost have to be the odd man out. 

3. If there is anywhere on the ice a slow behemoth like Boyle should not stand, its that exact spot where he was standing. 

4. He is exciting, but he also seems to not understand that he can't just wrap his arm around a guy without being penalized for it. He did that twice in last night's game and I was annoyed both times because I knew he was going to do it, I saw it coming and he did exactly as I thought. 

Very cornerback-like in technique,  gotta use the back of the hand to stay in contact..drive the hip with the forearm 

Edited by EdgeControl

1 hour ago, Jimmy Leeds said:

When the Wild pulled their goalie, Stafford was out there and had 2 incredibly easy (for NHL'ers) plays to clear the puck, but he could not get it under control to do so.

And one the first replay of the tying goal, I'm looking at Boyle COMPLETELY screening Schneids and I'm like, "WTF"?  

He is literally a foot and a half right in front of him. Horrid

When I saw the replay I immediately pulled out my phone and texted my brother "What the fvck was Boyle doing there?" Literally had the exact same reaction.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Martyisth3b3st said:

The NHL is a meritocracy. IF Brian Boyle plays like this for a while, his situation should have no bearing on whether or not he sees the ice. They're not just going to stop paying him. 

i saw an interview with him where he actually addressed that. That he doesnt want his condition to weight at all in the coaches decisions. If they think he should be in he lineup he'll be there and that if he's not that he'll work harder to be there... 

or something along those lines...

I do really really really like how Hynes has been running the team and it started from training camp. You can be anyone on the roster... you won't get any favour. And it truly looks like there's a very good communication with the players when it's happening.

It's a lot better than Deboer strapping a rookie to the bench after a mistake while old over the hill vets would get away with murder 10 times per shifts and being left in the dark. That had to be frustrating

Zajac is absolutely a top 6 center and probably a better player than Nico now, if healthy. There is no other center on this team who can handle the Matthews', Crosby's, etc without getting crushed. Nico has not played well against a certain type of center this year because he is still physically immature. Koivu handed him his lunch and I'll bet Bergeron will tomorrow night if they see a lot of each other. Zajac and Hall were quietly one of the more effective duos in the league last year. I'd put them together when Zajac gets up to speed to let Nico destroy softer matchups. 

I agree with those who say Noesen needs to be back in. I know we've talked about it a lot in chat during games, but other than a few goals, Stafford has been a complete negative. No wheels, no creativity, effort seems inconsistent. Noesen back in means he can play net front on the PP and get Boyle the f off of there. 

Anyway, really hope NJ can take advantage of no Marchand and Krug tomorrow

• Like 1

I wish Quennville could be called up, Mojo was healthy and Boyle/Stafford sat. Hell, I'd rather see Hayes instead of Stafford.

The Wild tying goal was the best goaltender screen I've ever seen in my life. Boyle is not good defensively - his face off ability should not be free license to be on the ice in the final two mins.

Edited by devlman

42 minutes ago, Nicomo said:

Stafford seems to venturing into JJ territory. Only useful in the shootout, and will score a goal every once in a blue moon. 

Sorry, but that’s absurd. 

5 goals, 3 assists in 17 games. JJ wishes in his wildest dreams. 

Oh, and he’s tied for 3rd on our team with his 5 goals. Ahead of Palmieri, Henrique, Hischier, Johansson, etc. 

5 goals in 17 games is hardly “once in a blue moon”. That’s like a 25 goal pace for a full season. JJ doesn’t have even close to 25 goals in 282 games!!!!

Anyone who thinks Stafford sucks clearly isn’t paying attention and doesn’t realize how well he is performing given how little he is being paid. 

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

Sorry, but that’s absurd. 

5 goals, 3 assists in 17 games. JJ wishes in his wildest dreams. 

Oh, and he’s tied for 3rd on our team with his 5 goals. Ahead of Palmieri, Henrique, Hischier, Johansson, etc. 

5 goals in 17 games is hardly “once in a blue moon”. That’s like a 25 goal pace for a full season. JJ doesn’t have even close to 25 goals in 282 games!!!!

Anyone who thinks Stafford sucks clearly isn’t paying attention and doesn’t realize how well he is performing given how little he is being paid. 

Thought he only had 3, my mistake. 

But you’re right, the JJ comparison was a bit harsh. :P

it was mostly just them both having really nice moves in the shootout that made me think of it. 

Edited by Nicomo

14 hours ago, EdgeControl said:

The point was that I dont think he is playing any worse than half the players on the roster, so why is he being singled out.. Id much rather have him on the ice over boyle ... by a mile

or do you think boyle is better???

I'd say you've got maybe 3-4 forwards (Boyle included) you can make a case he's been better than. They give up a ton of shots with him and he doesn't shoot a lot, and when he does it's from fairly undangerous areas. 

I don't agree, really, but I think they see Boyle as a necessary piece because of non-measurable skills (leadership etc) + he's gotten some dangerous looks.