Quebec City pushing for another team

nyrsuck26

http://www.thefourthperiod.com/news/que090721.html

The city hasn't been the same since the Nordiques left for Colorado in 1995, but it appears the wheels are in motion to bring another NHL franchise to Quebec City.

Yesterday, Pierre Karl Peladeau, CEO of media company Quebecor, announced that he will be "seriously" involved in trying to lure an NHL team back to Quebec's capital.

"Quebec City is a hockey city ... much more than certain American cities with NHL teams," he said. "Quebec City has the potential to build a new arena and accommodate a hockey team, but it won

I'm not. Expansion is not an option right now, so some unlucky team is going to have to be moved to Quebec to make this happen. Having experienced the Devils almost moving to Nashville and knowing people whose teams were almost taken away from them, I don't wish this on anyone. I feel bad for the Jets, Whalers, Nordiques, Penguins, Predators, and Coyotes fans out there. And don't make some crack about how no one would miss the Preds or Coyotes anyway; we're not exactly the biggest fan base out there and if the Devils were in trouble, people would say the exact same things. So while, yes, Canada deserves more teams, no fans deserve to have their beloved team ripped away from them.

http://www.thefourthperiod.com/news/que090721.html

The city hasn't been the same since the Nordiques left for Colorado in 1995, but it appears the wheels are in motion to bring another NHL franchise to Quebec City.

Yesterday, Pierre Karl Peladeau, CEO of media company Quebecor, announced that he will be "seriously" involved in trying to lure an NHL team back to Quebec's capital.

"Quebec City is a hockey city ... much more than certain American cities with NHL teams," he said. "Quebec City has the potential to build a new arena and accommodate a hockey team, but it won

yeah all the free agents are going to line up to play in quebec city, quebec.

Didn't the Nordiques have issues with free agents that weren't French-Canadian because basically there is no English spoken in QC and it was a major turnoff for them?

I'm not. Expansion is not an option right now, so some unlucky team is going to have to be moved to Quebec to make this happen. Having experienced the Devils almost moving to Nashville and knowing people whose teams were almost taken away from them, I don't wish this on anyone. I feel bad for the Jets, Whalers, Nordiques, Penguins, Predators, and Coyotes fans out there. And don't make some crack about how no one would miss the Preds or Coyotes anyway; we're not exactly the biggest fan base out there and if the Devils were in trouble, people would say the exact same things. So while, yes, Canada deserves more teams, no fans deserve to have their beloved team ripped away from them.

Perfectly said.. If the Devils ever left NJ I don't know what it would do to me

"Nashville? No Way!"

I think people forget how close we were to losing our team.

This will never happen. Quebec City was the smallest market in all of pro sports- remarkably even smaller than Green Bay. It just isn't big enough to support an NHL team in the financial times we live in.

Agreed. As much as i'd like to see a team in Quebec City, theyre just too small a city to support it. Maybe in another ten years there'll be some corporate/population growth to re-examine the prospect.

"Nashville? No Way!"

The year we won the first Cup, no less. THAT would have been embarrassing. And extraordinarily painful.

This will never happen. Quebec City was the smallest market in all of pro sports- remarkably even smaller than Green Bay. It just isn't big enough to support an NHL team in the financial times we live in.

I going to respectfully disagree here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quebec_City

Quebec City has a population of 491,142 as per 2006 reports...in contrast, Buffalo has 268,900...and I have to believe Quebec has some neighboring towns with a population....I think it would work.

Quebec City has a population of 491,142 as per 2006 reports...in contrast, Buffalo has 268,900...and I have to believe Quebec has some neighboring towns with a population....I think it would work.

quebec city metro area: 700k

buffalo metro area: 1.1m

oh and quebec city is no doubt full of habs fans too.

Edited by Triumph

"Nashville? No Way!"

I remember that all too well. As great as the '95 Cup run was, the possibility of the Devils' leaving was always in the back of my mind at the time. I don't know if you remember this, but one of the rumors going 'round was that the Whalers might have moved down to New Jersey had the Devils left. I don't even want to THINK about such a scenario. I guess we'll probably never know just how close the Nashville thing was to actually happening.

Anyway two great signs from the SC Finals in '95:

NASHVILLE ALREADY HAS ENOUGH PEOPLE WITHOUT TEETH!

HEY JOHN, DON'T BE A NASH-HOLE, KEEP THE DEVILS IN NEW JERSEY! (This guy was in my section about 10 rows behind me...the ushers made him put the sign away, which earned them several minutes of vociferous booing and heckling.)

"Nashville? No Way!"

I remember that all too well. As great as the '95 Cup run was, the possibility of the Devils' leaving was always in the back of my mind at the time. I don't know if you remember this, but one of the rumors going 'round was that the Whalers might have moved down to New Jersey had the Devils left. I don't even want to THINK about such a scenario. I guess we'll probably never know just how close the Nashville thing was to actually happening.

Anyway two great signs from the SC Finals in '95:

NASHVILLE ALREADY HAS ENOUGH PEOPLE WITHOUT TEETH!

HEY JOHN, DON'T BE A NASH-HOLE, KEEP THE DEVILS IN NEW JERSEY! (This guy was in my section about 10 rows behind me...the ushers made him put the sign away, which earned them several minutes of vociferous booing and heckling.)

I remember being 12 years old, going to the Stanley Cup parade...they handed out these posters with the team roster on them, I wound up with like four or five of 'em...on the back of one I wrote "NASHVILLE? NEVER!" and was so proud of the fact that Chris Terreri held up his extremely similar sign later in the day.

I gotta dig through my closet, I bet it's still in there somewhere, along with a bunch of un-written-on ones. Might be able to make some coin with 'em.

"Oh, and New Jersey is no doubt full of Rangers and Flyers fans too." -- random pundit, 1981

Do you really think all the Nordiques fans gave in and started rooting for their most hated rival?

I remember being 12 years old, going to the Stanley Cup parade...they handed out these posters with the team roster on them, I wound up with like four or five of 'em...on the back of one I wrote "NASHVILLE? NEVER!" and was so proud of the fact that Chris Terreri held up his extremely similar sign later in the day.

Is there a picture of Terreri with that sign anywhere? I can't seem to find any.

and Newark has a population of 280,000....but you have to look at metro area population

"Oh, and New Jersey is no doubt full of Rangers and Flyers fans too." -- random pundit, 1981

Do you really think all the Nordiques fans gave in and started rooting for their most hated rival?

moving the devils here was no doubt a bad decision, that isn't my point at all.

what nhl team did nordiques fans root for in 1970? if i had to bet, it'd be on the habs. i don't think 15 years of having the nords totally exterminated all the habs fans that were no doubt living there at the time

Is there a picture of Terreri with that sign anywhere? I can't seem to find any.

I can't seem to find one either, but I'm certain I've seen them before. I wonder if there's anything on the Stanley Cup championship DVD...er...VHS...whatever.

I can't seem to find one either, but I'm certain I've seen them before. I wonder if there's anything on the Stanley Cup championship DVD...er...VHS...whatever.

I had a pic of him with that sign, and for the life of me, I can't find it. It's not on my hard drive, and its not in any of my scrap books from back then. I'll have to keep looking.

About 2:20 into this clip: