The NHL must have loved LA winning the cup

Chimaira_Devil_#9

I very rarely see the NHL covered in the UK mainstream media, and if it is its because there has been a huge brawl or someone is dead, because they used to participate in huge brawls.

So for the last week there has been a different article every day of the week on the Stanley Cup, this has never happend in all the time i have followed the NHL.

So why the change this year?

Duh???

article-0-139A40A4000005DC-975_634x520.jpg

Bandwagoning Celebrity fans, thats why!!!!

(Yeah old news i know but having to commute to work seeing this crap over and over again makes me want to hurl, and i even like Beckham)

I bet Bettman is loving the additional free promotion.

Well, that's why all the media were jerking off to the thought of a potential Rangers - Kings SCF... "It would be great for the NHL, blah, blah, blah..." :blahblah:

I always hated that argument. If you want to win the Stanley Cup, DRESS A GOOD TEAM FFS! I don't give a sh!t how many fans you have, how loud they are, how big your city is or how many papparazzis your town has following hockey players everywhere! When they establish a trophy for "the most arrogant fanbase" or "the most irritating media in the world", you'll get your shot. But Stanley Cup is awarded to the best team ON THE ICE. The only thing that's "good for hockey" is the best team in the NHL winning the Cup. Deal with it.

Aaah, now I feel better... :P

• Like 1

But we have Corey Booker.... and Chris Christie.... they are big names in places like Newark and Israel.

Well, that's why all the media were jerking off to the thought of a potential Rangers - Kings SCF... "It would be great for the NHL, blah, blah, blah..." :blahblah:

I always hated that argument. If you want to win the Stanley Cup, DRESS A GOOD TEAM FFS! I don't give a sh!t how many fans you have, how loud they are, how big your city is or how many papparazzis your town has following hockey players everywhere! When they establish a trophy for "the most arrogant fanbase" or "the most irritating media in the world", you'll get your shot. But Stanley Cup is awarded to the best team ON THE ICE. The only thing that's "good for hockey" is the best team in the NHL winning the Cup. Deal with it.

Yeah, I hate when I hear "(Insert League Here) must really be dreading a potential (this team) vs. (that team) matchup."

Not everyone lives near and roots for major market teams, and besides, if a small-market team is entertaining or compelling enough (was there a team more fun to watch than the '80s Oilers?), then I would like to think fans will tune in to watch them no matter where they're from.

There's a lot more to the world than New York City and Los Angeles. I actually detest both places.

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976

Yeah, I hate when I hear "(Insert League Here) must really be dreading a potential (this team) vs. (that team) matchup."

Not everyone lives near and roots for major market teams, and besides, if a small-market team is entertaining or compelling enough (was there a team more fun to watch than the '80s Oilers?), then I would like to think fans will tune in to watch them no matter where they're from.

There's a lot more to the world that New York City and Los Angeles. I actually detest both places.

Unfortunately, that isn't the case with the NHL. The NHL is a regional sport that relies on huge local ratings for the finals. Last year with just one market in the finals, it was able to do well because Boston was just that strong. The NHL just doesn't have the star power where it doesn't have to worry about where the teams are coming from. The NBA has that power where it is already setting TV records for Heat-Thunder because of the superstars, even though Oklahoma City is one of the smallest media markets in professional sports. As much as Parise, Kovalchuk, Kopitar and Doughty are top 25 players in this league, they aren't drawing viewers.

Add in the fact that NHL fans are die hard, which means they have trouble watching hockey after their team is eliminated or the local fans are just that and aren't fans of the NHL as a whole. You think Flyers fans or Ragers or Blues fans were watching the Cup finals after their teams were eliminated? In the NBA, they still are. And was reported, the top hockey markets were letting the league down with low ratings all Finals.

The issue with the dream matchup stuff, was if LA would ever produce large ratings. Well, if the Lakers were still in the playoffs, they'd be a little blip on the radar, if that. Well it took a few games, but the Ratings out of LA were solid.

Edited by devilsrule33

From what I heard, Beckham has been pretty interested in hockey for a while and has been seen at Kings games all year. Just watching games, he was there throughout the playoff run from the 1st round on. He's also at pretty much all the Lakers games too. Must hate being at home...

There is always some form of article about him being at the Lakers games, but i only saw a mention of him and the NHL during the last two games of the SCF, and every subsequent day since the end of the playoffs......... :angry:

Unfortunately, that isn't the case with the NHL. The NHL is a regional sport that relies on huge local ratings for the finals. Last year with just one market in the finals, it was able to do well because Boston was just that strong. The NHL just doesn't have the star power where it doesn't have to worry about where the teams are coming from. The NBA has that power where it is already setting TV records for Heat-Thunder because of the superstars, even though Oklahoma City is one of the smallest media markets in professional sports. As much as Parise, Kovalchuk, Kopitar and Doughty are top 25 players in this league, they aren't drawing viewers.

Add in the fact that NHL fans are die hard, which means they have trouble watching hockey after their team is eliminated or the local fans of teams just aren't fans of the NHL as a whole. You think Flyers fans or Ragers or Blues fans were watching the Cup finals after their teams were eliminated? In the NBA, they still are. And was reported, the top hockey markets were letting the league down with low ratings all Finals.

The issue with the dream matchup stuff, was if LA would ever produce large ratings. Well, if the Lakers were still in the playoffs, they'd be a little blip on the radar, if that. Well it took a few games, but the Ratings out of LA were solid.

Thank you for a reasoned view on the matter instead of sounding like a whiny sore loser.

Thank you for a reasoned view on the matter instead of sounding like a whiny sore loser.

I don't think I sounded one bit like a whiny sore loser. WTF?

I thought that only people who actually earned the cup were allowed to raise it over their heads. I must have missed something. When was Beckham on the ice? Shows what LA knows about hockey.

I don't think I sounded one bit like a whiny sore loser. WTF?

It's this whole, the league is against us, wants someone else to win, it's a conspiracy, anyone who doesn't talk about how awesome the Devils are can fvck off. It's been said ad nauseam, and makes us sound petty. (Maybe that was the right word, instead of sore loser).

Mainstream press that doesn't ordinarily cover hockey likes to talk about big cities and celebrities. And when it has anything to do with hockey it lasts for all of 15 seconds, quite literally. It's fine . . . who cares.

It's this whole, the league is against us, wants someone else to win, it's a conspiracy, anyone who doesn't talk about how awesome the Devils are can fvck off. It's been said ad nauseam, and makes us sound petty. (Maybe that was the right word, instead of sore loser).

Mainstream press that doesn't ordinarily cover hockey likes to talk about big cities and celebrities. And when it has anything to do with hockey it lasts for all of 15 seconds, quite literally. It's fine . . . who cares.

Fine, I know some Devils fans are like that, but I'm not one of them, and never have been. The funny thing about these playoffs is that the officiating was so bad at times that I think at some point EVERY teams' fanbase that saw their team in the playoffs thought the league had it out for them.

Anyway, my argument was a general one, in that if the NHL, NBA, NFL and MLB have small-market teams in their leagues, they have to expect that those teams are going to go their respective finals. I don't really think of the Devils as a small-market team to begin with, but my only real point was the teams that earn the right to get there, get there. Shouldn't matter where they're from or what market they're in, and it shouldn't be seen as a downer or a disappointment if they're not a big-market team. But I understand completely what dr33 is saying.

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976

Fine, I know some Devils fans are like that, but I'm not one of them, and never have been. The funny thing about these playoffs is that the officiating was so bad at times that I think at some point EVERY teams' fanbase that saw their team in the playoffs thought the league had it out for them.

Anyway, my argument was a general one, in that if the NHL, NBA, NFL and MLB have small-market teams in their leagues, they have to expect that those teams are going to go their respective finals. I don't really think of the Devils as a small-market team to begin with, but my only real point was the teams that earn the right to get there, get there. Shouldn't matter where they're from or what market they're in, and it shouldn't be seen as a downer or a disappointment if they're not a big-market team. But I understand completely what dr33 is saying.

That's all fair.

Just to clear up i am not suggesting there wss any conspiracy from the NHL to get the Kings to win the cup, i was merely pointing out that the leauge as a whole is reciving more attention now that LA have won due to the celebrity influence.

If there was a conspiray, the Penguins would never have gone out in the first round.

This. I mean true it's very hard to draw a direct correlation between the League/NBC/the hockey world being butthurt the Rangers didn't get there instead of us, and the way the Finals went down (the questionable calls, the bias, and in some cases the raw hatred for NJ), but you knew so many people were disappointed we got there instead. I was like "Look WE were better than the Rangers, they lost and now you have to deal with playing us." Every other fanbase, media outlet whatever has it so engrained in their heads that the Devils are still a "trap" team, they play boring hockey, have no marquee players, no discernible talent, can't score, lack offense, have no fans whatever that they just won't allow themselves to see what the Devils really are. Sorry we don't play in a bigger city, sorry we have only been around for 30 years and been significant since the late 80s, or we aren't an original six (so tired of hearing about the "original six" who the hell cares?). Sorry we don't have a Cindy or Malkin or Messier or some player like that. The rest of the hockey world needs to put that sh!t in the past where it belongs and just accept the Devils like any other team. I'm sure it would make Bettman's career to shut us down or move us but it ain't gonna happen so just deal with it.

Just showed my daughter the picture. She looked at it and said you have to earn the right to raise it over your head. Idiot LA. (By the way, she is not a hockey fan but is a Pats fan.) Even she knew it was wrong