2) Colorado- Seth Jones

3) Carolina- Jonathan Drouin

4) Nashville- Alex Barkov

5) Tampa Bay- Valeri Nichuskin

6) Calgary- Elias Lindholm

7) Edmonton- Darnell Nurse

8) Philadelphia- Rasmus Ristolainen 

9) NJ- Hunter Shinkaruk

Assuming NJ picks no later than 10th, I'd love for them to trade up to where CGY or TB are picking. I don't care whether its picks or Fayne or Tallinder

I've mentioned this before, but I recall hearing somewhere that TB always liked Andy Greene.  Still, I just don't see any team in the top five trading down unless they're getting a top prospect, another high pick or a player that would be under their control for at least three years. 

Along with calling a 19 year old a disappointment because he hasn't shown generational talent levels.

As I've said before, he's good for at least two major breakdowns every game.  And he doesn't seem to do anything all that well, except his passing.   

It seems like he'll end up being a good NHL defenseman.  They're hard to find, but it's a bit disappointing that that's what we got out of the number 4 pick.

As I've said before, he's good for at least two major breakdowns every game. And he doesn't seem to do anything all that well, except his passing.

It seems like he'll end up being a good NHL defenseman. They're hard to find, but it's a bit disappointing that that's what we got out of the number 4 pick.

except that several of his skills are way above average for a defensemen his age (passing, vision, and poise). He won't be a lidstrom but he should definitely be a first pairing guy in like 3 years. He needs to work on his D, his shooting, and his skating. But those are things that can be worked on. Poise and vision are not something you can teach

I've mentioned this before, but I recall hearing somewhere that TB always liked Andy Greene.  Still, I just don't see any team in the top five trading down unless they're getting a top prospect, another high pick or a player that would be under their control for at least three years. 

Dealing Greene would mean eventually overpaying for a veteran D in free agency. 

Do we still own our 2nd round pick this year?? Draft class has apparently been called "Best/Deepest in over a decade", so if we have a top 10 pick, we will also most likely be picking again 31-40 range, and there are always some guys that take a dive down the draft board, could get a potential steal in the early 2nd round.

Do we still own our 2nd round pick this year?? Draft class has apparently been called "Best/Deepest in over a decade", so if we have a top 10 pick, we will also most likely be picking again 31-40 range, and there are always some guys that take a dive down the draft board, could get a potential steal in the early 2nd round.

We have a 1st, 2nd, 4th and 6th rd pick this year

Dealing Greene would mean eventually overpaying for a veteran D in free agency. 

This.

The only defensemen that are even worth dealing is Tallinder and/or some prospects.  In my eyes, Tallinder is the only expendable and tradable guy of our 8.  Greene is a leader in our locker room and has been on this team for eight years.  Lou doesn't like to trade his undrafted guys who have turned into gems.  See David Clarkson, Ralfie, Madden

This.

The only defensemen that are even worth dealing is Tallinder and/or some prospects.  In my eyes, Tallinder is the only expendable and tradable guy of our 8.  Greene is a leader in our locker room and has been on this team for eight years.  Lou doesn't like to trade his undrafted guys who have turned into gems.  See David Clarkson, Ralfie, Madden

If we could send Tallinder packing for another 2nd, I'd be ok. I'd be ok with a d prospect heading out if we can get good return out of it, otherwise sit tight, draft, sign some amnestied guys and try again next year.

FVCK THE DRAFT. We need to make the playoffs.

"Need"?  Why do we "need" to make the playoffs?  Frankly, we "need" to get a decent player in the draft a lot more than we "need" to become cannon fodder for the Penguins.  I'm not saying we should tank the rest of the season, but neither do I think it would be the end of the world if the stars failed to align to usher us into the playoffs.

Players I think we can take a legitimate look at drafting:

Nathan Mackinnon (If we won the lottery, long shot though)

Elias Lindholm

Valeri Nichushkin

Sean Monahan

Hunter Shinkaruk

I'd take any of those guys with open arms, they're all gonna be terrific forwards and could probably play next year.

we're going to have to see how the may rankings shake out to see what the latest consensus is but i don't think there is anyway the devils get mackinnon. if they win the lottery and get the first pick, i don't see how they can pass on seth jones. he is clearly the #1 prospect and an all situations defender with size. he's getting pronger comparisons which, while obviously extreme, still speak to the kind of talent he has.

nobody has been more vocal than me in saying that the devils have done a poor job dealing with their abundance of assets on d while they have relatively few on forward, but i don't see how you pass this up.

they would be in a position to have a 14/15 defense of:

greene-larsson

merril-jones

severson-fayne

that is amazing and something you simply cannot pass on.

we're going to have to see how the may rankings shake out to see what the latest consensus is but i don't think there is anyway the devils get mackinnon. if they win the lottery and get the first pick, i don't see how they can pass on seth jones. he is clearly the #1 prospect and an all situations defender with size. he's getting pronger comparisons which, while obviously extreme, still speak to the kind of talent he has.

nobody has been more vocal than me in saying that the devils have done a poor job dealing with their abundance of assets on d while they have relatively few on forward, but i don't see how you pass this up.

they would be in a position to have a 14/15 defense of:

greene-larsson

merril-jones

severson-fayne

that is amazing and something you simply cannot pass on.

i'd pass on Jones personally, do we need to wait years and years (on top of Larsson) to know if our picks are really busts or not and hear about how it takes longer for dmen to develop. 

We don't have a team who can afford too much patience now, we need guys ASAP.

OR if we'd win the lottery and since there's LOTS of talent id inquiry to see if theres team in the top 4 who would want Jones and would be willing to send an extra pick or player/prospect our way to move up.

but i'd get sure to be able to land Mackinnon or Drouin though... so yeah... maybe just deal with the top 3

Edited by SterioDesign

Defense wins championships. You draft Jones in the first second you are on the clock. Larsson, Merill and Jones would be rock solid for 10 plus years. Half your defense is set and they are all excellent transitionally. Anyone who has played the game will tell you offense comes from good defense. The likelihood of this happening is very low but is an absolute dream come true scenario. 

Defense wins championships. You draft Jones in the first second you are on the clock. Larsson, Merill and Jones would be rock solid for 10 plus years. Half your defense is set and they are all excellent transitionally. Anyone who has played the game will tell you offense comes from good defense. The likelihood of this happening is very low but is an absolute dream come true scenario. 

They would also cost a ton of money to keep long term as well.  If the other team doesn't score you don't lose.  But, you still need to score to win.  I'd look to trade 1 over all and grab one of the forwards a few slots back.  It's all hypothetical because they are long shot for the pick anyway.

They would also cost a ton of money to keep long term as well.  If the other team doesn't score you don't lose.  But, you still need to score to win.  I'd look to trade 1 over all and grab one of the forwards a few slots back.  It's all hypothetical because they are long shot for the pick anyway.

Yeah, but if you pay $6M or so each for three stud defensemen, it is a lot more effective than 3 forwards. You can have one of those D on ice at all times. Those championship teams were so dominant having Stevens and Nieds on the ice 2/3rds of the game. Not to mention the development of Rafi who turned out to be a damn good player too.

If by some stroke of luck the Devils won the lottery, I'd hope they take Jones. From everything I've seen and read, he is the top prospect, without a doubt in my mind. Sure the Devils will still need forward help but that would further enable them to trade one of the surplus, quality D prospects in a trade for help up front.

Where they sit right now, I'd be excited about the possiblity of Shinkaruk but of course I wouldn't mind if they moved up. I'm waiting till the Hockey Prospect Blackbook comes out this year before I form concrete opinions - especially about the European players who I haven't really seen. What Barkov has done at his age has been amazing though. I can't remember where, but I read that Nichushkin may have issues with smaller rink sizes in NA. Depending what HP has to say about him will really impact my opinion on him one way or the other.

If we got the 1st Overall through the Lottery I would really be pulling for Lou to take Mackinnon, the feeling I get is with Mackinnon and Jones it's a 1A and 1B type situation and we really need forwards, and Mackinnon could go straight on to a line with Kovalchuk and Henrique/Zajac.

They have both been incredible for their teams in juniors but I really think the world junior tournament and, maybe more importantly, the CHL Top Prospects game are a better indicator of how good these players are. You can definitely make the argument (as MANY did) that MacKinnon was overshadowed by a deep Canadian team and to an extent I agree but he was still as close to invisible as it gets out there. Jones, on the other hand, was absolutely dominant and the single biggest reason the US team won the gold. He was good in all three zones had incredible puck handling skills including along the boards and in open ice, had great vision on the breakout (when he wasn't taking the puck up himself) and was the driving force behind a very solid PP. Like I said though the top prospects game is probably a better indicator of their talents because they are playing against only the other draft eligible players, but in that game the results were the same. Even as the captain and number one player on the team MacKinnon was still overshadowed by Drouin and Domi among others while Seth Jones skated up down and though the other team showing off his offensive and defensive skills.

Don't get me wrong I think they are both going to be incredible but Jones is just one of those other worldly talents that just shouldn't be passed up no matter what the needs are. I think Jones would have the type of effect on this team that Drew Doughty has had for LA where he is a catalyst for offense every time hes on the ice sometimes simply because of the attention that is payed to him. It's that same effect that Kovy has on our PP where even when he doesn't get a point, the fact that he draws players to him but can still make plays gives everyone else more chances.

Long story short, if we somehow get lucky enough to win the lottery twice in three seasons, even with our glut at defense, I just don't think we can pass up the chance to get Seth Jones because, IMO, Jones and MacKinnon are NOT 1A and 1B they are 1 and 3 (I think Drouin is better than MacKinnon personally but it's really close).  

Edited by brickwall30

Mackinnon fan dont forget drouin have 30 more point than him and he plys only 4 game more than him... anyway thursday ill see them both against the huskies here in rouyn

Yeah, I've noticed this as well. It makes it hard to believe that MacKinnon is still the #1 forward in this draft.