ZeroGravityFat

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,776 posts

Posted 02 February 2010 - 12:18 PM

FourCups.

martyb.jpg
Proud Winner of the 2012 Sergei Brylin Award and 2011 Andy Greene Award, Official keeper of Doc and Chico's random ramblings during play in blowout games

#142 ThreeCups

ThreeCups

General Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,323 posts

Posted 02 February 2010 - 12:19 PM

FourCups.

Hopefully that becomes my new ID sometime in June...

"I'm not drinking anymore of Lou's Kool-Aid. I'm fed up with it." - Mike Jefferson/Danton

#143 Maddog

Maddog

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 592 posts

Posted 02 February 2010 - 12:21 PM

I don't think any of those trades would be as epic as Kovalchuk coming here.

Back in the day Doug Gilmore coming here was a big deal.

MDD_zpsbc48401d.png

#144 msweet

msweet

The Voice of Reason

• Admin
  • 8,801 posts

Posted 02 February 2010 - 12:23 PM

Posted Image

This should be the post of the day... LMFAO
Follow me on Twitter @MSweetwood

"Quite frankly, all the players are getting paid too much and all the contracts are too long," general manager Lou Lamoriello said. "But if you want to compete in this market and you want to win, there are some things you have to do."

#145 Colorado Rockies 1976

Colorado Rockies 1976

A Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,068 posts

the oduya/kubina part is too much. but bergfors/halischuk/1st for kovalchuk - i think you have to do that if you can - even if it is a rental. i think bergfors is a realitvely cheap 20-25 goal scorer for the next 4 years but he's not the reason the devils could/would win (directly - obviously indirectly by being cheap helps get the heavy lifters). if oduya gets included for kubina, i think i'd want a capable center like todd white in return.

interesting to discuss.

I don't think we know what Bergfors is yet. His start was encouraging but he's really dropped off in recent weeks. If I'm Atlanta I'm not sure I want him that badly.

Anyway, once you go down Lou's checklist for acquiring players these days it's easy to see why Kovalchuk's not coming here anyway:

1) He never played for the Devils.
2) He's not some fringe player that the Devils will find a way to get more out of than anyone could expect.
3) He's not a shore up the defense type who will fail at that task once acquired at the deadline.
THE NHL MUST LOVE THE DEVILS - from who else? A RANGER fan!
[Mark Messier]: A big, bald attention whore with a stupid Easter Island-lookin face. - from who else? DaneykoIsGod!

Even when Marty comes back maybe Larry should put Clemmensen to be on the goal during the shootouts.
Can the coach do that ? Switch the goalies 5 seconds to go in overtime?
- Most priceless quote ever posted on a message board.

Martin Brodeur: THE MOST ALL-TIME WINS!, 12 straight seasons of 30+ wins, 3 Stanley Cups, 4 Vezina Trophies, and zero respect from too many so-called Devils "fans" who are either too young or too bandwagon to remember the much darker days of Sean Burke, Craig Billington, Bob Sauve, Alain Chevrier, and the talented but overwhelmed Chico Resch, among many others.

It's easy to support a great player when he's playing at his very best. It takes a true fan to support that same player during those rare moments and stretches when he's not. Babe Ruth went 0-4 some games, and sometimes Wayne Gretzky was held pointless. There may be such a thing as greatness, but no such thing as absolute perfection every single night.

#30 FOREVER!

20 out of 1,946 njdevs.com members agree: CR1976 is the Most Knowledgable Poster of 2008! Victory is mine...oh yes, victory is mine!

#146 ThreeCups

ThreeCups

General Manager

• Members
  • 4,323 posts

Back in the day Doug Gilmore coming here was a big deal.

Kovalchuk coming to the Devils now would TRUMP the Gilmour deal. Gilmour was 33 year old. Kovalchuk is 26, and one of the most offensively talented players in the league right now.

"I'm not drinking anymore of Lou's Kool-Aid. I'm fed up with it." - Mike Jefferson/Danton

#147 brodeur14301991

brodeur14301991

Albany Devil

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 281 posts

Posted 02 February 2010 - 12:38 PM

This is what ESPN insider has to say: We've heard rumblings that the Devils might step up to the plate for Kovalchuk (and Denis Potvin mentioned the possibility on XM radio on Tuesday), in spite of the fact that Lou Lamoriello usually stays away from the big-ticket players at the trade deadline. The organization is usually pretty quiet about deals until they come to pass, but this would be a very surprising move for a team that rarely chases superstars and their pricey contract demands.

#148 nmigliore

nmigliore

A Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,137 posts

Posted 02 February 2010 - 12:41 PM

This is what ESPN insider has to say: We've heard rumblings that the Devils might step up to the plate for Kovalchuk (and Denis Potvin mentioned the possibility on XM radio on Tuesday), in spite of the fact that Lou Lamoriello usually stays away from the big-ticket players at the trade deadline. The organization is usually pretty quiet about deals until they come to pass, but this would be a very surprising move for a team that rarely chases superstars and their pricey contract demands.

Heard rumblings = Potvin.
LETS GO METS
LETS GO DEVILS

"Take all that clubhouse [expletive] and all that, throw it out the window. Every writer in the country has been writing about that [expletive] for years. Chemistry don't mean [expletive]."

- Jim Leyland

#149 Amberite

Amberite

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,966 posts

Posted 02 February 2010 - 12:43 PM

Well it's looking more and more obvious that Potvin simply misspoke and meant to say "By the way, did you hear that Kovalchuk is rumored to be going to the New Jersey Devils?" Amazing how 3 little words can make all the difference.

Edited by Amberite, 02 February 2010 - 12:45 PM.

#150 Maddog

Maddog

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 592 posts

Posted 02 February 2010 - 12:46 PM

Kovalchuk coming to the Devils now would TRUMP the Gilmour deal. Gilmour was 33 year old. Kovalchuk is 26, and one of the most offensively talented players in the league right now.

Agree 100%

MDD_zpsbc48401d.png

#151 NCDevsFan

NCDevsFan

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,515 posts

Posted 02 February 2010 - 12:53 PM

I just found it. It's at the end of the interview: "By the way, did you hear that Kovalchuk is going to the New Jersey Devils?" Didn't sound like speculation to me.

I knew I wasn't hearing things! :lol:
It's the whiskey talking.

#152 Arthur Bosskarelli

Arthur Bosskarelli

Prospect

• Members
  • Pip
  • 64 posts

Posted 02 February 2010 - 01:01 PM

Could someone please convince Š„klund (2.3% accurate) (2.3% accurate) (2.3% accurate) to make an update stating "The Devils are 100% guaranteed to NOT be trading either Rolston, Oduya, or Pandolfo." :P

#153 CaptainScotty

CaptainScotty

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 543 posts

Posted 02 February 2010 - 01:13 PM

what if we put stonehands on kovy's line? Would that make up for his lack of defense?

If we didn't have to give up ZZ, Elias, or Martin, this could be a good move.

Gaborik won a whole game by himself, kovalchuk is more than capable of doing the same playing with D that allows at least one goal fewer per game than ATL.

if Kovalchuk was here, we'd stampede over everyone.

I'd say trade bergfors. there is a difference between being a game breaker and a scorer that racks up points beating up on lesser teams. Lets not forget that Kovalchuk is 26, and Elias is going to be around for only a couple years more...

#154 cubanjd305

cubanjd305

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,098 posts

Posted 02 February 2010 - 01:14 PM

Which Devils would kinda fit Atlanta's demands?

From the Kings, Waddell asked for Jack Johnson and/or Oscar Moller or Wayne Simmonds, prospects, draft picks and 2009 first rounder Brayden Schenn. But this might've been asking too much, so Waddell may be preparing another offer.

Notice they are asking for prospectS and draft pickS

Edit: the source is ESPN insider

Edited by cubanjd305, 02 February 2010 - 01:15 PM.

believe-3devils.jpg

#155 Brandon

Brandon

Trenton Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,088 posts

Posted 02 February 2010 - 01:17 PM

was just listening to NHL live and when the topic of Kovalchuk came up (like it does everyday) they said they think he is going to end up on an eastern conference team and that the two most likely teams are the flyers and the devils.
25smul5.png

#156 CMONPETEYD

CMONPETEYD

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,574 posts

Posted 02 February 2010 - 01:18 PM

Which Devils would kinda fit Atlanta's demands?

Notice they are asking for prospectS and draft pickS

Edit: the source is ESPN insider

anyone who would do this for a rental is smokin dope
My name changes every summer
Posted Image

#157 moustic

moustic

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,616 posts

Posted 02 February 2010 - 01:19 PM

Kovy not a devs type of player ?
Maybe we need to add "not devs type of player" to win now !

just my two € ; )

#158 cubanjd305

cubanjd305

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,098 posts

Posted 02 February 2010 - 01:19 PM

was just listening to NHL live and when the topic of Kovalchuk came up (like it does everyday) they said they think he is going to end up on an eastern conference team and that the two most likely teams are the flyers and the devils.

When...been listening for a while an interview with Myers

believe-3devils.jpg

#159 westcoastdevfan

westcoastdevfan

General Manager

• Members
  • 4,984 posts

Posted 02 February 2010 - 01:20 PM

I realize that one way or another this forum is going to explode if we end up getting him or not.It should be fun to watch. I love train wrecks! :evil:
Posted ImageOF LOU'S SACRED KOOL-AID!
Follow me on Twitter @westcoastdevfan
Check me out at dekingdevils.com

#160 cubanjd305

cubanjd305

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,098 posts

Posted 02 February 2010 - 01:21 PM

anyone who would do this for a rental is smokin dope

He's not getting that deal done ever, I don't think....but that tells you where their mindset is kinda. They want youth, they want D

believe-3devils.jpg

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Bing (1)