GDT: 2011 NHL ENTRY DRAFT

Derlique

first crack:

CAPGEEK.COM CAP CALCULATOR

CAPGEEK.COM TOTALS (follow @capgeek on Twitter)

(these totals are compiled without the bonus cushion)

SALARY CAP: $64,300,000; CAP PAYROLL: $63,488,334; BONUSES: $837,500

CAP SPACE (22-man roster): $811,666

We need to have Slavador stay on LTIR (ala Drury) and you can see how that Rolston contract is killing us

• Replies 332
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

We need to have Slavador stay on LTIR (ala Drury) and you can see how that Rolston contract is killing us

I think its his NTC clause that is going to hurt us much more than the money. I guess Lou would've tried to ship him to a team that is trying to reach the floor, but Rolston obviously wont be waiving his NTC to go to a team like the Panthers or Islanders.

Edited by SS-SS

I think its his NTC clause that is going to hurt us much more than the money. I guess Lou would've tried to ship him to a team that is trying to reach the floor, but Rolston obviously wont be waiving his NTC to go to a team like the Panthers or Islanders.

disagree - he'll go anywhere after what happened this past year.

Lou could try to waive him again. Would it be illegal for Lou to talk to other teams and ask "if I were to waive so and so, would you pick him up?"

Still can't believe we got Larsson. Remember sitting in November thinking tanking to get him was the best option. Not only did the Devils make an entertaining run in the second half, they win the lottery and still end up getting Larsson.

Maybe a gift from the hockey gods for doing the respectable thing and trying till the end, instead of tanking!

I'm not gonna lie, I have to wonder who the Versus/TSN draft show would've compared Larsson to had someone ahead of us had drafted him. Or who would've drafted him had we not snagged him. I find it hard to believe Larsson was compared to Salo after we drafted him when other people/websites compared him to Lidstrom initially.

disagree - he'll go anywhere after what happened this past year.

Yeah...looking at it from this point of view I think you are right

Lou could try to waive him again. Would it be illegal for Lou to talk to other teams and ask "if I were to waive so and so, would you pick him up?"

I don't think it would be illegal. Anyway, it would be too hard to catch 2 teams making something like this.

I still want us to ship him full price. His 5 millions are huge money that we can use to add some punch to our blue line.While I'm optimistic about Larsson, I don't think he is going to solve our problems on the PP given that he makes the team since we all know how it works with the prospects and the Devils.

I really wanted that Burns trade to materialize, but seeing what SJ gave I think its better like that. I am not going to lie, I would've been really pissed off if we had trade the equivalent of what SJ traded away for Burns who might not even sign with them after next season.

Edited by SS-SS

If Brian Campbell can get traded with 5 years left at 7.14 mil, surely some team would take Rolston for a measly 5 mil and only one year... Right? Please?

brian campbell has value - especially in a league w/ a $48.3MM cap FLOOR.

brian rolston has almost none - but the same floor does help.

rolston has value for a team needing to hit the floor because he can be bought out - he'd be a 5M cap hit but only a 3.66 salary hit. i think rolston could find the other money elsewhere from another team - he had a pretty decent season. i'm not as convinced as sundstrom that he is willing to go anywhere.

Unbelievable that we just landed Larsson. I have a feeling a lot of you don't realize this guy's potential. If everything pans out, our defense in two years:

Tallinder / Larsson

Volchenkov / White

Merill / Fayne / Urbom

That's a hell of a defense. Where is Manta with our lack of depth again?

The only thing that went wrong about this draft is Philly landing Cotourier. I have no idea how he managed to fall to 8th.

You forgot Taormina.

Is Larsson really going to make $3m out the gate? What have other #4 overall picks made coming out of the draft?

I'm asking because I genuinely don't know, not because I'm trying to disprove a point.

with bonuses, yes - that will be around where his cap number is. but in base salary - it'll probably be about 1.75MM. there could be a signing bonus in there too.

http://www.ushl.com/news/story.cfm?id=3869

"The most important thing for Coleman is that we put him at center," said Skjodt. "I do think he is a centerman, a guy that likes to get around the ice a lot.

"He comes to practice and works hard every day," said Coleman's coach, Charlie Skjodt. "He is one of the team captains and he takes that role real serious to make sure he is always mentally prepared for each game. He knows it is time to come to work, punch the clock, and away he goes to give everything he has got every game. He is the hardest working kid in the League in my opinion."

Even though he possesses the strong work ethic, Coleman's offensive output has been unexpected, but his coach is more impressed with his all-around game and draws a comparison to one of the NHL's all-time greats.

"I have to admit I am a little surprised how many points he has put up and no question he has surprised a lot of people," said Skjodt. "He has been great for our team all the way around and I never speak to him about points. He reminds me a little of Bobby Clarke because he is a strong two-way player – he can score, is solid in the defensive zone, kills penalties, and plays in the final minutes of the game."

http://www.ushl.com/news/story2.cfm?id=4002

The United States Hockey League today announced that Blake Coleman of the Indiana Ice has been named both the 2010-11 USHL Player of the Year and the 2010-11 USHL Forward of the Year as determined by a vote of League coaches and general managers.

Coleman claimed the USHL scoring title as he led the League with 92 points (34g, 58a) while playing in all but one of the 60 regular season games for the Ice. It was the most points scored in a USHL season in over a decade – Peter Sejna had 94 points (41g, 53a) during the 1999-2000 season for the Des Moines Buccaneers. The last player to surpass 90 points was Thomas Vanek (46g, 45a) in 2001-02 for the Sioux Falls Stampede.

Coleman had 17 points than the next highest scorer in the League, teammate Daniil Tarasov (37g, 38a). It is the largest margin between first and second in the scoring race since Peter Sejna had 19 more points than Aaron Smith (33g, 42a) in 1999-2000. The 58 assists accumulated by Coleman are the most in a USHL season since another Indiana Ice player, John Kemp, recorded 59 during the 2007-08 season. Coleman also led the USHL with an impressive plus-52 rating, the highest rating on record since the USHL became Tier I in 2002.

"What an extraordinary year for Blake," said USHL Commissioner Skip Prince. "Ninety-two points, and a plus-52 rating in a league with this much strength across all Member Clubs – that's just unheard of. Plano, Texas hasn't historically been hockey country – but it is now. Blake's leadership and hard work on and off the ice were the difference-maker for the Ice year, and no player in our league is a better representative of what the USHL stands for. Congratulations to our USHL Player of the Year."

Texas kid, interesting non-traditional background. Listed by hockeydb has 5'11 206 I'd imagine he will gain a few inches as he fills out.