Doc Emrick joins NBC, has left MSG.

ZeroGravityFat

i would be pleased with Weekes...very happy go lucky and enjoyable and i think he could deal with chico's mis-steps well

but its going to be my not as good looking brother Cangi....Shootttsss and Sccccoooressss

oy vey

I meant Weekes would be a good replacement for Chico if he decided to leave, too.

• Replies 207
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah his avs love affair was so blatant. You could tell he hated a devils win.

He's bound to Baltimore but they won't make the playoffs. I would love for him to be the replacement.

If you want to bring back Thorne then you'd better get rid of Chico. One airhead's fine for entertainment but two would just be a total trainwreck :lol:

I'd rather not though, I mean the game was too fast for Gary six years ago and he's six years older now. He's got a great voice but let him stick to baseball now. Cangi gets a bit of a bad rap but he was a lot better on TV this year than Matt's been on the radio.

Classy and heart-felt letter by Doc

Agreed.

Edited by NJDevs4978

Wow, I'm devastated. :( Knew this could happen, but still hoped for him to stay. Well, as someone else said, at least he's not going to Pittsburgh.

All the best to him. He's an absolute legend.

I also wouldn't mind another former Devils backup... Kevin Weekes. I like him from what I've seen on NHL Network. Very intelligent, knows the game. We're gonna have to see how many hotdogs he can eat, though.

Holik for color! :P

If you want to bring back Thorne then you'd better get rid of Chico. One airhead's fine for entertainment but two would just be a total trainwreck :lol:

I'd rather not though, I mean the game was too fast for Gary six years ago and he's six years older now. He's got a great voice but let him stick to baseball now. Cangi gets a bit of a bad rap but he was a lot better on TV this year than Matt's been on the radio.

Agreed.

Totally agree about Cangi being far better than Matty.

Speechless....I'm old enough to remeber the first time he left. Sucked then, sucks now.

I understand the reason but watching will not be the same. The Devs should honor him this year, he more than deserves it.

You can put me in the thumbs down catagory for Cangi.

I just hope whoever replaces DOC can "warm to the task" of calling Devils games.

Good Luck and Happy life DOC. You will be missed but never forgotten.

I'm trying to explain to my gf why this upsets me so much and I find it impossible to explain the "finesse" Doc had with his word choice, storytelling, game pacing, humor, etc etc. I've grown up listening to Doc Emrick call Devils games. Players came and went but the voice of the Devils was always the same. Doc is so good that I can't even believe he is that good.

Good call, didn't think of that. I would hope you're right.

It really depends on if Marty announces his retirement before the end of the season. If he plays the last game and then in the off-season announces his retirement, I do not think Versus or NBC would gamble on showing a Devils game when they could be showing a Wash,Pitts, Rags, Philly, Chicago, Detroit or LA game somewhere. But if Marty announces let's say in Feb or March or even a few games beforehand that he is going to retire at season's end, then most likely it will be shown on Versus or NBC.

Sorry to see him go, but we were lucky to have him as long as we did. Hope everything works out for him.

Agreed, we've been spoiled in particular with Doc doing the Devils and the Gary-Keith-Ron troika for the Mets. I'm glad I at least have a handful of old games on tape and am hoping for a few VERSUS 'guest' spots this year, but yeah the future Devil broadcasts won't be the same.

I'm guessing that if Marty makes it known that he'll be playing his last game, either Versus or NBC will pick it up. I think that's a definite.

You could be right except I somehow doubt Marty'll announce it beforehand and go on a 'retirement tour'. I think it'll be more like an open secret, everyone knows but doesn't know.

It really depends on if Marty announces his retirement before the end of the season. If he plays the last game and then in the off-season announces his retirement, I do not think Versus or NBC would gamble on showing a Devils game when they could be showing a Wash,Pitts, Rags, Philly, Chicago, Detroit or LA game somewhere. But if Marty announces let's say in Feb or March or even a few games beforehand that he is going to retire at season's end, then most likely it will be shown on Versus or NBC.

The other part of the equation is if the Devils are in the playoffs, it won't REALLY be his last game, so unless we're in another situation like last year I don't think they even gamble on that.

Edited by NJDevs4978

Hopefully there'll be no need for Versus/NBC to gamble on anything, i.e. it'll be game 4 of the SCF, Devils up 3-0.

I was already going through Doc withdrawl from the offseason. I'm not exaggerating when I say that hockey will never be the same. We were lucky enough to listen to the greatest play by play man in sports nearly every game. It didn't hurt that he was classy and likeable the whole time. Best of luck, thanks for everything Doc. I'll be watching more national games just to hear him.

What is all this love for Matty? He is terrible and boring as watching paint dry. He also misses a lot of plays and cannot seem to get a grasp of the action going on.

+ 1. I've had to listen to some games on the radio, and I often have no idea what's going on. He's behind the play, and tells stories like the games televised, and skips play by play. He might be better suited for TV than radio, but that's just because he can't get worse.

No matter who they get, Doc's irreplaceable.