Parise to join Devils

Weekes Head

• Replies 236
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I want to see him sent down to Albany because if he gets signed for the Devils that means he can't go down in the event of a lockout (I believe).

He will not have played too many games for the Devils, if he does play for the Devils this year. I believe he would still be a rookie, thus a Rat next year.

msweet and Triumph are right on this one. He aint gonna get any ice time in the playoffs. If they do bring him up it will be for the ride. There's no way they'd rely on such an unknown factor at such a high-risk time. The potential upside he has would be outweighed by the potential risk factor. Better to put in a Bicek who's played at this level and in our system than a hotshot college kid.

He's such a good prospect that I doubt Lou would risk fvcking with his confidence. I think this one's a non-starter.

But thankfully it's distracted from the more distressing fact that Stevens hasn't started practicing with the team yet. That's the news I really want to hear, and have to hear in the next couple days if he's going to be playing next week.

Another point I'd like to make is that we shouldn't automatically pen Parise in as our savior no matter if he plays or not for us in the playoffs. Give the kid room to develop, he's young yet. Don't be overdemanding and cause the kid to crumble under too much pressure too soon.

Well it's gonna happen anyway... then there are gonna be polls after each game saying whether he's good enough or not... then there will be comparisons to Gomer... He better put up points too, cause just playing well won't be considered enough.

I would love to see him, I'm obviously not expecting the world. I've followed him all year... he looked AMAZING at worlds, didn't get to see much of him at ND besides the boxscores, which were sensational.

If the org. is doing this just to get him in tow, well at least we know he's nearer than he was... I thought he might go back to ND for his senior year and try again to reach the Frozen Four.

And if we see him, well ain't that a nice kick in the pants?

That's not true at all. First of all, he wouldn't be paying Parise very much for this season.

Second, he'd be signing him for next season, because after Sept. 15th, the Devils couldn't sign him.

Offhand, I do believe Hale's contract was finalized at the end of last season, and he was practicing with the Devils all through the Stanley Cup playoffs. But I wonder what that means about arbitration eligibility and the length of his contract.

first... i am stoked to see westcoast... what up bro!

second... Parise is an immense talent... not a savior to the team. That role is reserved for Stevens right now! ( He will come back and open a very large can of whoopin on the first forward he sees.)

Like all of you, I would love to see Parise play because the kid can play really well and has been leaps and bounds ahead of the rest of the pack where he has been. That aside.. I dont want to see our most highly touted prospect in a Devils Uniform until he is ready. Lou knows what to do... so I dont expect to see him til next year earliest. (lockout permiting)

To those who think playing Parise is a mistake, let me remind you of Claude Lemieux:

As an 18 year old

1983-84 Verdun QMJHL (51 games, 86 pts)

1983-84 Montreal Canadiens NHL (8 games, 2 pts)

As a 19 year old

1984-85 Verdun QMJHL (52 games, 66 pts)

1984-85 Montreal Canadiens (1 game, 1 pt)

As a 20 year old

1985-86 Sherbrooke AHL (58 games, 53 pts)

1985-86 Montreal Canadiens NHL (10 games, 3 pts), (20 playoff games, 10 goals, 6 assists)

So Claude's 2 years in junior can be compared to Parise's 2 years in college at UND. And Claude had about 1/2 year of AHL experience after that. Then tore up the league during the playoffs, winning a Cup with Montreal.

From what I've read about Parise, he's NHL ready now, or very close. Who knows, maybe he'll give the Devs a spark a-la Pepe.

I don't think it's a huge risk.

"According to North Dakota coach Dean Blais, in a radio interview this morning, Parise signed a three-year deal worth over $4 million"

I wonder how well this will go over with someone like Gomer. Very similiar players, but Gomer has won 2 Stanley Cups and put up some pretty decent numbers in the NHL, yet he was just signed to a contract that pays him much less than what Parise just signed for, assuming this is accurate. Interesting.

"According to North Dakota coach Dean Blais, in a radio interview this morning, Parise signed a three-year deal worth over $4 million"

I wonder how well this will go over with someone like Gomer. Very similiar players, but Gomer has won 2 Stanley Cups and put up some pretty decent numbers in the NHL, yet he was just signed to a contract that pays him much less than what Parise just signed for, assuming this is accurate. Interesting.

I heard that Gomez makes over $20 million a year. :P

I wonder how well this will go over with someone like Gomer.  Very similiar players, but Gomer has won 2 Stanley Cups and put up some pretty decent numbers in the NHL, yet he was just signed to a contract that pays him much less than what Parise just signed for, assuming this is accurate.  Interesting.

I heard that Gomez makes over $20 million a year. :P

That is nothing compared to Larionov's 40 Million for three years and a 2 million bonus for each shot on net that I heard!

Claude Lemieux played in 1986.

Zach Parise's playing in 2004.

Plus, Lemieux had pro experience, and Parise does not.

Furthermore, Lemieux's a wing and Parise's a center. If Parise were a right wing, I would think he'd get some time. But he isn't, so I don't think he will.

As for Parise's contract, by NHL contract rules, Parise cannot be getting that 4 million as base salary. I believe the highest base salary allowable is 975,000. My guess is that based on draft position, Parise probably got around 750,000, with somewhat reachable incentives based on games played, the Calder Trophy, and similar things (NOT goals and assists).

I'm very happy he signed though, I thought this would be a big problem for Lou.

Claude Lemieux played in 1986.

Zach Parise's playing in 2004.

Plus, Lemieux had pro experience, and Parise does not.

Furthermore, Lemieux's a wing and Parise's a center. If Parise were a right wing, I would think he'd get some time. But he isn't, so I don't think he will.

As for Parise's contract, by NHL contract rules, Parise cannot be getting that 4 million as base salary. I believe the highest base salary allowable is 975,000. My guess is that based on draft position, Parise probably got around 750,000, with somewhat reachable incentives based on games played, the Calder Trophy, and similar things (NOT goals and assists).

I'm very happy he signed though, I thought this would be a big problem for Lou.

I'm just pointing out similarities, Tri. I'm not saying they are exactly alike. Sometimes I think you argue just for the sake of arguing.

58 games at the AHL level and a handful of NHL games is not alot of pro experience.