GDT: Devils at Carolina Hurricanes

NJDEVS1730

Yes and..

Couldn't have said it any better myself really. It's just frustrating because they should be better but I guess they just aren't and it's hard for me to accept games like last night, the 3rd period in the Caps game, and the let down against the Rangers. All and all this team has left about 8 easy points or so out on the ice this season and it's going to come back and bite them. No doubt about it.

lol if the 2005-06 team gave Larry Robinson health problems, I can only imagine what this team would do to him if he was the head coach.

• Replies 256
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

CR and others; born in '92 I definitely see what your saying. The people who share that attitude are the 'fan boys'. Don't watch half the games, but surprisingly they are fans of the Devils, Pats, Yankees and Lakers.

That said, there is a large portion of fans who understand the game, the franchise that can get tossed into that group (think myself, RSC, MB, and nmig off the top of my head). Those other fans disgust me. I wish I was 17 or so in '95 to see how far this team has come.

Yeah, it's like Yankee Syndrome- the younger fans of the Yankees know nothing but winning and post-season success. So when the Yankees don't win the WS, it's usually the younger generation of fans that bitch unreasonably about it because of that sense of entitlement. I'm 32, so I can remember a time when the Devils sucked. When they made the playoffs in '88, it was like I just won the lottery as a 9-year old kid. But I grew up right alongside this franchise, so I'd like to think that I don't have that sense of entitlement some of the younger fans have, as much as I wish they could be as good as the 2000 Devs every year. I hate losing as much as anyone, but its important to remember that they don't just hand out Stanley Cups because we're the Devils.

I became a real Devils fan the first year they wore red and black. Before that I loosely followed, so I didn't really need to suffer through the bad years. But I did my research and learned the team history and I knew how big a deal the 1994 run and 1995 Cup were. Also, I'm a Jets fan so I know all about humility in sports! :angry:

lol if the 2005-06 team gave Larry Robinson health problems, I can only imagine what this team would do to him if he was the head coach.

I think any head coach that's subjected to 11 SHG is going to have some sort of health problem. They're definitely going to have over 20 SHGA this year. Robinson wouldn't have made it.

Btw I think the Devils only have 17 pp goals.17-11 holy crap god help us.

I became a real Devils fan the first year they wore red and black. Before that I loosely followed, so I didn't really need to suffer through the bad years. But I did my research and learned the team history and I knew how big a deal the 1994 run and 1995 Cup were. Also, I'm a Jets fan so I know all about humility in sports! :angry:

Could be worse..could be a Mets fan. Wait, is that worse? Ugh. Anyway Jets and Mets fans are almost as bad as Red Sox Ranger fans. Almost feel bad for them.

Seriously, what is up with that??!

As for the game, as it has been mentioned, we didnt have half our defense. Urbom and Taormina looked lost out there. The whole team looked lost, actually.

Their goal horn/song is the dumbest thing in the history of sports. It almost seems as is some board op with a sound board just starts pressing the buttons for random sound effects for like a minute and a half. Obnoxious.

Could be worse..could be a Mets fan. Wait, is that worse? Ugh. Anyway Jets and Mets fans are almost as bad as Red Sox Ranger fans. Almost feel bad for them.

Yeah, I'm glad I'm a Devils and Yankees fan. At least I got to see some fun championship teams. Because the Jets sure as hell won't be winning anything anytime soon. :yucky:

I'm a Mets fan, and it's pretty bad...especially when the other team in town is doing its thing. There actually WAS a time when the Mets owned the town (mid 80s-early 90s), but that time has long passed. Why would you feel bad for Red Sox fans? They've won two championships recently, and have been relevant for quite a while now.

DP26, I don't lump all younger fans into the same group, and even the ones that do think they're entitled, I can almost see where they're coming from...say you were born in, oh, 1988 (the year I graduated high school), and your clear memories of Devils hockey start around, say, 1994 or so. Think about what you've seen in that time...three Cups, only two non-playoff seasons, and just one losing season...and even that one losing season wasn't dreadful, record-wise. If the Devils ever hit an extended run of TRUE futility (as in not making the playoffs for a number of years in a row), the fanboy types will either appreciate the good times that much more and deal with the rough times, or move on to another team.

DD56...most of the truly bad years came in KC and Colorado, in that the team was stuck in neutral for so long, due mostly to constantly changing ownership, and two of Colorado's owners didn't care so much about the product on ice as they did about getting the team out of Denver...this was sad, in that some truly talented players did suit up for the Rockies. Once the Devils got past that dreadful 1983-84 trainwreck of a season (17-56-7), they began their slow march toward respectability...they were still bad for a while, but at least they had an owner that was committed to building a hockey team in McMullen. The '88-'89 season was a hiccup, but the '89-'90 to '92-'93 seasons were cool, in that the team was actually respectable, and had at least left the truly embarrassing years behind them once and for all.

Stfu? Haha..no sorry. I know there's no way to ever justify a loss as being good, but when you get completely out played for 53 minutes by a team who has struggled for most of its 30+ games excuse me for not being happy. But hey who knows maybe this will be Carolina's turning point and then we can say 'hey don't worry about it we lost to a good team.' Just like we do with the SHG situation..'hey don't worry about it..nbd.' Any coach with that attitude needs to be fired.

Excuse me for telling you to STFU, as I was about 6 Beam & Coke's into the night and normally wouldn't say something like that. So I apologize for that. But I was saying that due to you coming on after two periods and claiming the sky is falling and declaring like a prophet that we wouldn't make the playoffs. I just don't buy it.

Can it get any worse for Kovy?

For what he is getting paid, what the team had to give up to bring him in between the NHL slapping our hands and the cost, he should be ashamed of himself. It angers me because right before that last goal we had the Canes running around like chickens without their heads. We had the momentum that could have scored the tieing goal and then it was all just thrown away because of a stupid no look pass on one of the highest paid players in the league? Not acceptable. I hope Elias and Parise both had a few words with him in the locker room after that bonehead play.

A few games back he gave the puck up like he does consistently and once he realized it was an odd man rush, instead of hustling to get the puck back he very casually skated over to the bench almost like he wanted to get off as quickly as possible not to get the -.

Now in his defense I did see last night at one point, yet again he gave up the puck, but he slapped his stick on the ice out of frustration. Its dumb hockey and pure unluck that his game is blowing right now.

Let me guess? Brodeur should have stopped goals 2 and 3 tonight and we could have won?

For the recorded I know Hedberg started. The point is that everyone was yelling that we just needed Hedberg to start and claiming the losses were Brodeur's fault. Hedberg started and we lost; can't blame Marty now.

It's like I have been saying the whole time: a few years ago Marty and Moose would have stopped the shots but you don't want to be the kind of team that allows those chances in the first place. The main problem is with the team not the goalies. A good team should win with just an average goalie.

Edited by ben00rs

For the recorded I know Hedberg started. The point is that everyone was yelling that we just needed Hedberg to start and claiming the losses were Brodeur's fault. Hedberg started and we lost; can't blame Marty now.

It's like I have been saying the whole time: a few years ago Marty and Moose would have stopped the shots but you don't want to be the kind of team that allows those chances in the first place. The main problem is with the team not the goalies. A good team should win with just an average goalie.

I hate to say this but based on the way Brodeur has been playing the Devils probably would have lost by a lot more if he started. Moose bailed them out way more times than he should have. The third goal was pretty soft and of course that ended up being the nail in the coffin. I don't usually blame Marty for loses anyway just saying. Last night definitely wasn't Hedbergs loss though. The team played like they still wanted to be home with their families and not on the ice.

And yea...good point. This team is just decent with a bad defense and average goalies, or dare I say one average goalie and one that's probably going to retire at the end of the season.

Edited by ScoreMoreThan3

I'm a Mets fan, and it's pretty bad...especially when the other team in town is doing its thing. There actually WAS a time when the Mets owned the town (mid 80s-early 90s), but that time has long passed. Why would you feel bad for Red Sox fans? They've won two championships recently, and have been relevant for quite a while now.

DP26, I don't lump all younger fans into the same group, and even the ones that do think they're entitled, I can almost see where they're coming from...say you were born in, oh, 1988 (the year I graduated high school), and your clear memories of Devils hockey start around, say, 1994 or so. Think about what you've seen in that time...three Cups, only two non-playoff seasons, and just one losing season...and even that one losing season wasn't dreadful, record-wise. If the Devils ever hit an extended run of TRUE futility (as in not making the playoffs for a number of years in a row), the fanboy types will either appreciate the good times that much more and deal with the rough times, or move on to another team.

DD56...most of the truly bad years came in KC and Colorado, in that the team was stuck in neutral for so long, due mostly to constantly changing ownership, and two of Colorado's owners didn't care so much about the product on ice as they did about getting the team out of Denver...this was sad, in that some truly talented players did suit up for the Rockies. Once the Devils got past that dreadful 1983-84 trainwreck of a season (17-56-7), they began their slow march toward respectability...they were still bad for a while, but at least they had an owner that was committed to building a hockey team in McMullen. The '88-'89 season was a hiccup, but the '89-'90 to '92-'93 seasons were cool, in that the team was actually respectable, and had at least left the truly embarrassing years behind them once and for all.

Yes I heard all about the times the Mets used to run the city. I was only a child at the time. My mother was a Yankees fan so naturally I just became a Yankees fan. They were awful when I started to watch them. Jimmy Key was their best pitcher and Toronto was owning everyones life. I guess I don't feel that bad for Red Sox fans..they have turned it around for sure but last years collapse was hilarious and epic in a Yankees fan point of view.

Excuse me for telling you to STFU, as I was about 6 Beam & Coke's into the night and normally wouldn't say something like that. So I apologize for that. But I was saying that due to you coming on after two periods and claiming the sky is falling and declaring like a prophet that we wouldn't make the playoffs. I just don't buy it.

It's cool. I'm a Jack and Diet kinda man. Actually, I usually just drink Jack straight up. Last night I was pretty buzzed off this 80 proof stuff called Snaps, excellent Christmas drink. Yea I tend to over react when I've had a few and when the Devils play like sh!t it just adds to my frustrations. Cheers! :cheers:

The third goal was pretty soft and of course that ended up being the nail in the coffin. I don't usually blame Marty for loses anyway just saying. Last night definitely wasn't Hedbergs loss though.

didnt you directly blame marty for the rags loss? yes, yes you did.

I am a Seahawks fan so, they have definitely taught me over the years to respect success because they don't see much of it! Thankfully I'm much more into hockey. I guess the best way to explain it is to say I'll go to / watch any hockey / NHL game. As far as football goes I'll only watch a Seahawks game, and maybe some college.

Same here. Devils and Yankees for life. Both since 1990. So I've seen mostly good. Ugh. fvck the Jets. I'm a Dolphins fan...born in Miami so don't bash me too hard.

I won't bash you at all for being a dolphins fan! Especially considering your boys will most likely be putting the final nail in our already sealed coffin Sunday!