2014 Stanley Cup Playoffs thread

MadDog2020

Also, you guys are really underestimating the Rangers here. They are really really good, rested, and pretty much healthy. I won't be surprised if they pull it out. I hope not.

I think it's been momentum pushing them along (since Marty Saint Louis' mom's passing, whether coincidental or not). They've been riding on a high since then. I'm of the opinion that maybe the rest may hurt them... They won game 6 playing a slow tired garbage Canadiens side in about as easy a manner as you could imagine in a conference finals, then took a few days off, and are about to face the Kings, who are zipping and zooming and hitting everything around them at about as furious a pace as can be played. Kings might be gassed by game 3 or 4 but until then, they're riding the train.

I see the Rangers as a team driving slowly onto the Autobahn from the onramp.

Edited by DJ Eco

Also, you guys are really underestimating the Rangers here. They are really really good, rested, and pretty much healthy. I won't be surprised if they pull it out. I hope not.

The Rangers are definitely better than they are being painted as.

There's a lot riding for Devils fans.

If the Rangers beat the Kings. Ranger fans will hold bragging rights to the fact that their club beat LA when our club lost to LA>

The Rangers are definitely better than they are being painted as.

There's a lot riding for Devils fans.

If the Rangers beat the Kings. Ranger fans will hold bragging rights to the fact that their club beat LA when our club lost to LA>

Yeah but at the end of the day, we're talking about a team that San Jose, Anaheim, or Chicago couldn't beat. When you look at it like that........

Ugh, the Rags get the only team that has played more games than them!

I still think the big Kings are a better matchup for Devils fans hoping that the Rags will lose (that's all of us, right?)

The Rangers played 1 less game then them so I don't think that's it's gonna be a deciding factor in the series.

Are people still upset that the Kings beat the Devils in the playoffs 2 years ago?  I mean they were a really good team and they just played better for the Devils.  Outside the questionable call ing ame 6 (which is 100% on the refs), I do not think the Kings really did anything dirty or played in a way that would make us hate them.

I actually have and will like the Kings and I really hope they do win.  They are my 3rd favorite western team after Dallas and St. Louis.

Are people still upset that the Kings beat the Devils in the playoffs 2 years ago?  I mean they were a really good team and they just played better for the Devils.  Outside the questionable call ing ame 6 (which is 100% on the refs), I do not think the Kings really did anything dirty or played in a way that would make us hate them.

I actually have and will like the Kings and I really hope they do win.  They are my 3rd favorite western team after Dallas and St. Louis.

Yeah, I got over 2012 earlier this year. LA is one hell of a hockey team, it's hard not to like them. They play gritty hockey and they play it the right way. The polar opposite of Montreal, I think New York is in for a rude awakening.

Basically what I was saying earlier:

The trouble is, they don’t watch really watch hockey in New York and Los Angeles. They do in my town, Chicago.

Just look at the ratings.

Last night’s Game 7 did a huge 22.7 rating in Chicago, which translates to more than 800,000 homes tuning in. Meanwhile, in Los Angeles, the Kings did a 4.8 rating (268,800 homes).

A 4.8 rating for a Game 7 that put the Kings in the Stanley Cup Final? Are you kidding? The Blackhawks do better than that for a regular-season game against Carolina.

What about the Rangers? Their Game 6 clincher over Montreal did an 8.5 rating (620,500 homes) in New York Thursday.

New York is an Original 6 town, and it can’t break double-digits for a game that puts the Rangers in the Stanley Cup Final for the first time in 20 years? Are you kidding, part 2?

No, these aren’t passionate hockey towns. However, New York and Los Angeles still will deliver viewers just because of the sheer size of the nation’s No. 1 and 2 markets.

- See more at: http://www.shermanreport.com/nbc-misses-out-on-jackpot-with-blackhawks-losing-ny-la-final-wont-be-ratings-bonanza/?utm_source=hootsuite&utm_campaign=hootsuite#sthash.qkqorNkW.dpuf

I guess what they're banking on is more of a jumpstart in these markets, and not necessarily immediate demand/success. To the NHL's credit, I do see random ass people on my Facebook who are not concerned with hockey calling the LA-NY series "intriguing". CHI-NY might have given them more ratings in the here and now, but I guess this is what they would have wanted in the long run.

I guess what they're banking on is more of a jumpstart in these markets, and not necessarily immediate demand/success. To the NHL's credit, I do see random ass people on my Facebook who are not concerned with hockey calling the LA-NY series "intriguing". CHI-NY might have given them more ratings in the here and now, but I guess this is what they would have wanted in the long run.

That's what they have going for them. The geographical intrigue, but NHL ratings are pretty much connected to the local TV numbers they get. Chicago are the Kings and Boston, Pitt, Philly have been good to them too.

Yeah, I really don't have any hate for the Kings. I didn't dislike them in 2012 either. They were a great team and the Devils were playing with house money in the finals. I was shocked that we were still playing in June.

Not since '94, that was the excuse for bringing it up.

Annoying for us or not, it's a good excuse to bring up. Game 7 OTs have been really rare in hockey after the 1st round. 

That makes sense, I could've sworn there were others, but I guess I'm wrong... Pretty hard to believe that was the last time, didn't realize they were so rare, now looking back.

Yeah, I got over 2012 earlier this year. LA is one hell of a hockey team, it's hard not to like them. They play gritty hockey and they play it the right way. The polar opposite of Montreal, I think New York is in for a rude awakening.

Not taking anything away from their team or their style of play.  They are a well built team and entertaining to watch.  But I just don't like Quick (I think he's vastly overrated), was never a fan of Carter or Richards from their time with the Flyers, and based upon some experiences I had in dealing with their "fans" during the 90's and again in 2012, I just don't like LA as a team or as a city in general.  My dislike of just about everything LA has almost nothing to do with the 2012 Finals loss, but that's just me.

This would be a black eye for the league, having the two biggest TV markets in the finals, and ratings are LOWER than last year.

I wouldnt trust the numbers, with the rags in the finals they will fudge the ratings to an all time best ever totally fantastic number

And he's been straight garbage the last three games too.  It's the complete inverse of 2012, now the team's bailing him out.

Did you miss the save he made with 8.2 seconds left? Quick hasn't been as sharp during this run but is clutch. I'd have preferred Crawford and the Hawks.

• Like 1

The Rangers played 1 less game then them so I don't think that's it's gonna be a deciding factor in the series.

At this point, that's irrelevant. Given how spread out it is, there's plenty of time to recover. The biggest advantage LA has is their size. They're very physical. That combination of strength and skill will be very difficult for the Rangers to handle. It'll be a true test for our D. They need a better series out of Staal. He struggled badly against Montreal. The Kings also boast the best center depth. They are lethal in the faceoff circle. Kopitar. Carter. Richards. Stoll. That's scary.

On paper, LA is a bad match-up. However, series are won on the ice and in the trenches. This Rangers team has more heart than any I've seen. If they can forecheck the Kings and put pressure on Doughty, they have a shot. Obviously, Lundqvist has to outplay Quick. Probably has to steal a couple. I agree with Milbury. He said they must come out and get Game 1. Pretty much.

At this point, that's irrelevant. Given how spread out it is, there's plenty of time to recover. The biggest advantage LA has is their size. They're very physical. That combination of strength and skill will be very difficult for the Rangers to handle. It'll be a true test for our D. They need a better series out of Staal. He struggled badly against Montreal. The Kings also boast the best center depth. They are lethal in the faceoff circle. Kopitar. Carter. Richards. Stoll. That's scary.

On paper, LA is a bad match-up. However, series are won on the ice and in the trenches. This Rangers team has more heart than any I've seen. If they can forecheck the Kings and put pressure on Doughty, they have a shot. Obviously, Lundqvist has to outplay Quick. Probably has to steal a couple. I agree with Milbury. He said they must come out and get Game 1. Pretty much.

It's easy to say that now that there in the Finals, but I don't buy that. What did the 2012 team lack in effort or "heart". Torts had all 5 skaters on the ice playing goalie all game. I remember someone tweeted at the time saying, "why do we need so much goalie equipment when the Rangers have 5 guys on the ice happy to sacrifice their body without any." The Rangers are here now because they have been a lot better than past teams.

Good luck to your team especially getting to Doughty, but if the Kings lose this series, it won't be because they were outhearted or outwhatever insert intangible cliche here.

Edited by devilsrule33