2014-2015 Around the league thread

MadDog2020

I could see Talbot in Dallas next year.

I disagree on Henrik playing no matter what though. If he comes in and plays poorly and the Rangers lose a few in a row, Talbot will come in; as opposed to how it was for Marty on the Devs, in which nothing short of death could pull him from the net in the playoffs.

Marty was terrific in five out of his first six playoff seasons, where his team won two Cups, and reached a Conference Final...once you build up that kind of track record (and play well again just a few seasons later in winning another Cup), it's going to take something major to dethrone you.  The only series where he wasn't very good from 1994 to 2000 was in 1999, against the Pens.  He was also up-and-down during the 2001 playoffs, but if you look at his career, he rarely was the reason the team didn't do well in the playoffs...it usually came down to lack of scoring, or the team as a whole looking two steps slower and overwhelmed (saw a lot of that from 2005-06 to 2009-10).  Not sure exactly who I would've wanted starting in Marty's stead in any given year anyway...it's not like the Devils ever really had that young stud that could truly push him.   

I think the situation is different here, in that you've got Lundqvist missing a boatload of games, and the Rangers having so much on the line this season...with the way they're playing, if they don't win it all, it's going to be seen as a major failure.  I think they will give Lundqvist 5-6 games or so to shake off the rust, but if he can't do it, I don't see how they can possibly not ride Talbot.   

Marty was terrific in five out of his first six playoff seasons, where his team won two Cups, and reached a Conference Final...once you build up that kind of track record (and play well again just a few seasons later in winning another Cup), it's going to take something major to dethrone you.  The only series where he wasn't very good from 1994 to 2000 was in 1999, against the Pens.  He was also up-and-down during the 2001 playoffs, but if you look at his career, he rarely was the reason the team didn't do well in the playoffs...it usually came down to lack of scoring, or the team as a whole looking two steps slower and overwhelmed (saw a lot of that from 2005-06 to 2009-10).  Not sure exactly who I would've wanted starting in Marty's stead in any given year anyway...it's not like the Devils ever really had that young stud that could truly push him.   

I think the situation is different here, in that you've got Lundqvist missing a boatload of games, and the Rangers having so much on the line this season...with the way they're playing, if they don't win it all, it's going to be seen as a major failure.  I think they will give Lundqvist 5-6 games or so to shake off the rust, but if he can't do it, I don't see how they can possibly not ride Talbot.   

I would argue his 2000-01 playoff campaign was just as bad as the short-lived 98-99 one.  He had sub .900 save % in both.  I remember he was particularly bad in the 2001 finals and was one of the main reasons why we didn't repeat that year (in addition to scoring drying up from the A-line and Mogilny doing his usual disappearing act after the 1st round).

Edited by DevsMan84

I would argue his 2000-01 playoff campaign was just as bad as the short-lived 98-99 one.  He had sub .900 save % in both.  I remember he was particularly bad in the 2001 finals and was one of the main reasons why we didn't repeat that year (in addition to scoring drying up from the A-line and Mogilny doing his usual disappearing act after the 1st round).

Re-read my post...I mentioned 2001 as being up-and-down for Marty (and it was truly that).  And yeah, we've talked plenty about the 2001 Finals on here.  He was not good, but when the team gets outscored 7-1 in the two games where they had a shot to clinch, it's definitely a group effort.

But I brought it up more to show neb00rs how the circumstances were different than Talbot/Lundqvist...no way the Devils were going to go to a 37-year-old VBK in the SCF or at any point during the 2001 playoffs.  It was Marty-or-bust (and considering he was coming off a Cup-winning season in 2000, I can understand why).  But the Rangers are clearly not in Henrik-or-bust mode here...I can fully understand why both the media and fans might start screaming for Talbot if Lundqvist isn't playing well.  We were never going to say "WTF, get VBK in there!" back in 2001. 

Re-read my post...I mentioned 2001 as being up-and-down for Marty (and it was truly that). And yeah, we've talked plenty about the 2001 Finals on here. He was not good, but when the team gets outscored 7-1 in the two games where they had a shot to clinch, it's definitely a group effort.

But I brought it up more to show neb00rs how the circumstances were different than Talbot/Lundqvist...no way the Devils were going to go to a 37-year-old VBK in the SCF or at any point during the 2001 playoffs. It was Marty-or-bust (and considering he was coming off a Cup-winning season in 2000, I can understand why). But the Rangers are clearly not in Henrik-or-bust mode here...I can fully understand why both the media and fans might start screaming for Talbot if Lundqvist isn't playing well. We were never going to say "WTF, get VBK in there!" back in 2001.

This is all true- but again, it won't matter for them. Lundqvist won't miss a beat. This is how things go for the Rags, they have a horseshoe up their ass. There won't be any goalie controversy or any adversity for those a$$holes whatsoever. Once Lundqvist comes back, you won't hear another word about Talbot until some team inevitably overpays for him in a trade this summer. Edited by MadDog2020

I could not agree more with everything you just said. My point on Marty was too simply say that Marty would just start and start and start, from the regular season into the playoffs, even when it seemed smarter to rest him, as opposed to the Rangers where I don't think Henrik has the same room to fail (and also no Cup victories and has significantly lower stats than Talbot). Honestly, if you forced me to pick a time where Marty could have sat in the playoffs for a game, it would be in 2011-12; when we were down 3-0 against the Kings. Of course the Devs were going to stick with Marty no matter what and I have no problem with that.

I don't even think the Devils have ever had a goalie you want playing in the playoffs aside from Marty.

Edited by Neb00rs

Hammond is now 14-0-1, and Ottawa, inexplicably, has taken the last playoff spot from Boston. 

Additionally, Dubnyk has now added 23 wins to his record since joining the Wild on January 15th. 

Again, if Schneider's play is going to be neglected, it should be for stories like this. Incredible turn-around for both teams with two of the most unexpected people leading the way.

Again, if Schneider's play is going to be neglected, it should be for stories like this. Incredible turn-around for both teams with two of the most unexpected people leading the way.

Thought frustrating, I must agree.

Also, Hammond is now the first goalie to earn a point in each of his first 15 career starts

:doh1: We can keep all of our players, we just need to sign one 7 year-old and we will get our average age down to a normal level. Seriously, only the Devils could trade away 43 year-old Jaromir Jagr and 38 year-old Marek Zidlicky and still easily be the oldest team in the NHL

Kings playing their 2nd in two nights on the road and are blowing out the Rangers who were resting yesterday - it's hard to draw conclusions from one game but they don't look good at all.  Lot of very good forwards but their weakness is defense.

The Rangers just beat the Ducks 7-2 on Sunday. They're fine.

Another win for the Blue Jackets.  Still too early to think about specific draft positions, but it looks like 6th, 7th, or 8th overall for the Devils.  Jackets' sched is about as difficult as the Devils, for whatever that's worth.  They play each other on 3/31.  By that time, the Jackets will have one game in hand.  Until then, the Jackets have road games against Chicago and St. Louis, and the Devils have road games against Washington and Carolina (guessing KK might get the start in that one), and then a home game against Anaheim. 

Another win for the Blue Jackets.  Still too early to think about specific draft positions, but it looks like 6th, 7th, or 8th overall for the Devils.  Jackets' sched is about as difficult as the Devils, for whatever that's worth.  They play each other on 3/31.  By that time, the Jackets will have one game in hand.  Until then, the Jackets have road games against Chicago and St. Louis, and the Devils have road games against Washington and Carolina (guessing KK might get the start in that one), and then a home game against Anaheim. 

the flyers have lost 8 of the last 9 and have a rough sched as well..chi, SJ, Pitt, Isles, rags

Edited by EdgeControl

the flyers have lost 8 of the last 9 and have a rough sched as well..chi, SJ, Pitt, Isles, rags

Unless San Jose and/or Colorado completely fall apart, looks like the Devils, Flyers and Blue Jackets will probably be picking 6th, 7th, and 8th (not in any order, just that they'll all finish at one of those spots).  San Jose hasn't been playing well, and neither has Pitt, so I'm not sure how tough the Flyers' sched really is.  It's probably a crapshoot as to how these three finish anyway...they're all in the bottom 10 for a reason. 

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976

I need help. I have a huge dilemma.

For Valentines day, I got the GF tickets to the game @FLA (2nd row behind the Devils bench) and @TB (3rd row in the corner). I'm lucky - I got her into hockey 3 years ago, and she's now just as into it as I am. Maybe even more so.

We both know that it's in the Devils best interest to lose. But spending $300 on tickets and cheering against the team seems... poopy. Put yourself in my shoes. The puck is about to drop in Tampa and if we win, we could possibly drop from picking 6th to picking 8th.

Help.

I'm praying to every God in the stars that they draw Ottawa in the first round.

Re: your dilemma- just root for the team like you normally would and let the chips fall where they may. Treat it like a normal game. I still cheer for the team as I normally would when I go, even though I know losing is better for us in the long run. Re: Ottawa- why on earth would you ever want the Rags to draw them? The Rags will annihilate them. I'd feel much better about Boston's chances of beating the Rags (although those chances probably aren't great either, but at least Boston has a Cup pedigree).

I need help. I have a huge dilemma.

For Valentines day, I got the GF tickets to the game @FLA (2nd row behind the Devils bench) and @TB (3rd row in the corner). I'm lucky - I got her into hockey 3 years ago, and she's now just as into it as I am. Maybe even more so. 

We both know that it's in the Devils best interest to lose. But spending $300 on tickets and cheering against the team seems... poopy. Put yourself in my shoes. The puck is about to drop in Tampa and if we win, we could possibly drop from picking 6th to picking 8th.

Help.

First off, to the bolded - you lucky SOB.  Can't get my girlfriend into hockey at all, and believe me I've tried :lol:

As for actual advise.. I always just rooted for a good game at the Rock this year.  If there was ever a time to be a little selfish it's then.  I really wouldn't worry too much - no way the Devils win both games.

Edited by Devilsfan118