2015 Draft Thread

thefiestygoat

Speers looks like a good pick. C/RW that had offensive upside. Also apparently he didnt get as many minutes on Sault Ste. because they had several overage players and he still put up 67 points. Im happy with it.
Kinda hoping we can get Timashov in the 4th round. 

The 6th Round pick of Seney I find entirely bizarre. 5'8", overager, decent production at best, and plays for the worst development program in D1 NCAA ice hockey, it makes no sense to me to take him instead of a risk/reward like Korostelev or Chris Wilkie, this pick has zero value in my eyes.

Taylor Hall ‏@hallsy04 

Welcome to Edmonton, Connor. Don't mess up everything we've built the last 5 years! #FutureIsBright

7da357888fb5ae4fb5b0320ad0a69723.jpg

YES! Lmao!  He had to say, don't mess up everything we've built.   It sounds kind of smug.  Didn't people compare Hall to Crosby too?  I still can't believe they got McDavid, what a joke.  

Edited by RizzMB30

Wait. People are complaining about the 6th rounder? Led his sh!tty team in scoring with a .8 lot as a 18/19 year old playing in the hockey east. What's not to like?

Goalie pick sucks for sure, but best part is no annual late round goon. Would've been perfect if Blackwood was a forward. Can't get over that one. Great use of assets to grab Palmieri and trade down getting an extra 3rd next year
  • Haha 1

• 4 weeks later...

So according to CBJ's beat writer, Shero's asking price for CBJ to trade up to six was 8, 34 and 129, but supposedly that was when Hannifin had yet to be taken. He doesn't say what was discussed right before the Devils made their pick, but I imagine Columbus was not offering much as CBJ apparently had Werenski as the fourth best player on their board after McDavid, Eichel, and Hannifin, and they felt there was a very good possibility that he'd still be available.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• 5 years later...
On 6/13/2015 at 7:26 PM, thefiestygoat said:

I'm a big believer in Larsson but I'd move him in a deal for Draisaitl. Draisaitl may not be "proven" yet but his odds of turning into a real quality top line player are about as high as they can get for a prospect. If the Devils somehow draft Hanifin, Provorov, or Werenski, then I'd be fine with a trade like that.

Funny how Larsson ended up there anyway. This scenario would have been good.

On 6/9/2015 at 12:19 AM, Derlique said:

I like his skillset but he doesn't produce much better than Crouse and isn't being labeled as an elite defensive player.

Still want Barzal

This was on Zacha. At least we didn't go with Crouse.

On 6/9/2015 at 12:30 AM, CommonDreads said:

I agree that assuming the Big 5 are gone (McDavid, Eichel, Hanifin, Marner, and Strome), Barzal would be my top choice. It's really just a matter of what type of player you'd rather have, a speedy playmaker (Barzal) or a strong goal scorer (Zacha).

We went the wrong way.

On 6/16/2015 at 6:23 AM, nessus said:

That quote is scary, but Conte also made some comments after last year's draft that the players he chose were mostly complementary, and not the types you build a franchise around. That's the one thing that is keeping me optimistic here. I still have no interest in Crouse.

I'm at a point now where I'll be frustrated if the Devils do not select Barzal at 6, unless Marner and/or Hanifin are available (I suppose a few others like Rantanen and Zacha could be decent picks too). I'm not even sure Strome is a better pick than Barzal, to be honest. Plus I would hate to see him go to Philly to be mentored by Giroux.

On 6/16/2015 at 9:46 PM, thecoffeecake said:

Marner, Barzal, Hanifin, Ratanen, or bust for me. I agree that Crouse is essentially a worst case scenario, aside from moving the pick for a Kessel.

Hit, hit, hit and hit. It's amazing that this board could broadly see who the best players were , almost to the point of consensus, but the Devil's scouting team could not. 

On 6/17/2015 at 12:05 AM, William D'Aquila said:

Matteau is a good pick, he is going to be in the NHL for a long time.

I assume that is who you are referring to because no one else the Devils have drafted has a Zubrus like build or skill set. 

Right now you can make the case that the Devils potentially drafted the two best players following pick 28.

http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/draft/nhl2012e.html

None of Williams posts aged well. This being the finest of the bunch.

On 6/17/2015 at 1:02 AM, William D'Aquila said:

Conte's drafting history does not indicate he values size. teddy, gio, mccauley, scarlett et cetera.

Kujawinski is going to be on the roster by next year. 

And another

On 6/25/2015 at 4:34 PM, Derlique said:

Craig Morgan @cmorganfoxaz 11m11 minutes ago Phoenix, AZ

Coyotes GM Don Maloney says he's up to 4-5 "legitimate offers" for the No. 3 overall pick in the NHL Draft, with 3 to 4 more "tire-kickers."

Wow. This is getting pretty nuts. Also, I believe this is good news seeing how most of those teams are likely targeting Provorov or Hanifin

Arizona should have kicked a few less tires.

On 6/25/2015 at 6:23 PM, Onddeck said:

then take Hannifin at #6.  Then trade Lars to Colorado for ROR and #10... and with #10 we take one of Barzal/Rantanen... eh?? 

Can you imagine 

On 6/26/2015 at 3:42 AM, nessus said:

Who do you guys like for our second round picks? I'm really hoping for Gurianov at 36, but I also like Beauvillier, Yan, and Dergachev. 

We may get lucky with Kylington at 36, but otherwise, I think Aho and Andersson seem like they could be good picks if we're going with D for one of the second rounders.

Timashov is another interesting prospect who may fall into a later round.

I am bumping this thread because there are some spectacular takes in here, some good , some terrible.

All I can say is I wish Nessus had been in charge of our draft that year. Every player Nessus mentions in this thread was a hit. 

• Like 3

49 minutes ago, Nicomo said:

Lol at all you guys who were mad about taking Blackwood...

I didn't even pick up on that. I need to go back through. 

I was having a look at the 2014 thread as well. That was a shot show. A lot of posters were keen on Conor Bleackley , who went at 23 in the end, guy has currently spent most of his career in the ECHL. 

Nessus was again spot on in 2014 picking up that Point and Pasternak should be top prioritys. 

• Like 1

On 6/26/2015 at 9:18 PM, Onddeck said:

How but this kid Merkley? He really reminds me of Barzal (just by reading about him BTW)

On 6/26/2015 at 10:25 PM, Onddeck said:

Merkley is Barzal 2.0. Wish we could've made moves to get him

On 6/27/2015 at 10:43 AM, MadDog2020 said:

We just drafted a fvcking goalie. Great.

On 6/27/2015 at 10:44 AM, Lateralous said:

Ugh, a goalie

On 6/27/2015 at 10:45 AM, Zubie#8 said:

Only way this is acceptable is if they are looking to shop Cory and I dont see that happening .Thats the only reason you get a good goalie in this draft. BS pick.

On 6/27/2015 at 10:48 AM, SterioDesign said:

we picked..........a goalie...........

i was fine with everything until this? i mean WHAT? you see somewhat established goalies been swap for decently cheap all the time... and we need forwards like theres no tomorrow and we pick a goalie? and leave a bunch of potential scorers out there.... come on

On 6/27/2015 at 10:50 AM, dmann422 said:

lol this is silly, it's not like blackwood would replace Cory anytime soon anyway. This is a move for 4-5 years down the line. I'm not a fan just because backup goalies are easy to find and we have more pressing needs but to be fair our goalie depth in the org is terrible after Kinkaid.

At least he's a big boy, 6'4".

On 6/27/2015 at 10:52 AM, DevilMinder said:

Oh well, we do need a future goalie. Like DMan said, not much after Kinkaid. Forwards are a more pressing concern though.

On 6/27/2015 at 11:19 AM, SterioDesign said:

Blake Speers... he's a scorer at least

On 6/27/2015 at 11:59 AM, coldply123 said:

I like the last two picks. Definitely potential there on both. Hate the goalie pick fiercely.

On 6/27/2015 at 12:00 PM, MadDog2020 said:
On 6/27/2015 at 11:59 AM, coldply123 said:

I like the last two picks. Definitely potential there on both. Hate the goalie pick fiercely.

The goalie pick blows, but the Speers and White picks are intriguing.

On 6/27/2015 at 2:11 PM, CommonDreads said:

The 6th Round pick of Seney I find entirely bizarre. 5'8", overager, decent production at best, and plays for the worst development program in D1 NCAA ice hockey, it makes no sense to me to take him instead of a risk/reward like Korostelev or Chris Wilkie, this pick has zero value in my eyes.

On 6/27/2015 at 2:41 PM, Devils Pride 26 said:
On 6/27/2015 at 2:18 PM, SMantzas said:

Wait. People are complaining about the 6th rounder? Led his sh!tty team in scoring with a .8 lot as a 18/19 year old playing in the hockey east. What's not to like?

Goalie pick sucks for sure, but best part is no annual late round goon. Would've been perfect if Blackwood was a forward. Can't get over that one. Great use of assets to grab Palmieri and trade down getting an extra 3rd next year

There is a lot of comedy in this thread. 

• Haha 1