GDT: Stars. Devils. Thank you, Chico.

dmann422

It seems to me like I may have written this on these boards before, but anyway:

My wife and I are originally from NC, and every Christmas we go down there to visit for the holidays. A couple years ago when we were waiting for our return flight in Raleigh, Chico and one of the TV production guys were trying to get standby seats on the same plane. We chatted with them for maybe 15 or 20 minutes. Chico was, as everyone always says, just as warm and friendly as he could be. It was like talking with an old friend. (The production guy seemed like a totally regular Joe, too.) We all crossed paths again when we were deboarding in Newark, shook hands, and said goodbye.

Flash forward to last season, and I was milling around in the Season Ticket area in Championship Plaza before one of our games when I turned around and found myself face-to-face with him. I shook his hand and said, "I don't know if you remember, but we met in airport..." and he chimed right in and said, "...in Raleigh, yeah, you and your wife! Good to see you again!"

I realize our encounter in Raleigh probably lasted longer than most of his interaction with fans, but he obviously must meet an awful lot of people. I was pretty amazed that he remembered me.

that really is amazing. such respect for the fan base, what a great guy

Woo-hoo, scored free tickets to tonight's game! I'll be rocking my Resch throwback jersey, for sure.

Chico was my first favorite Devils player. I remember getting off the ice from a hockey clinic at the old Ice House in Totowa where the Devs used to hold their practices. That night, the Devs were holding their family Christmas party. As I was getting changed, I looked out and saw Chico skating with his kid on the ice. He looked over and saw me peering at him through the glass and so I waved at him and he waved back with a smile. It really made my day. I've since met him in person and had my pic taken with him, but I'll always remember that first little moment years ago.

Oh man, that's Tortorella level. And the press generally likes DeBoer (A LOT). Don't like that answer one bit, even if it was tongue-in-cheek, doesn't sound like something he'd say.

Exactly what I thought. Maybe to send a message to the players? Maybe he's given up? I don't know, but that's a pretty weak thing to say.

Edited by Devs3cups

There's also a guy down by the glass watching the Dallas warm-ups dressed up as Ted wearing a Devils jersey lol

There's also a guy down by the glass watching the Dallas warm-ups dressed up as Ted wearing a Devils jersey lol

oh man can we get a picture of this?!