Is it time to trade Cory Schenider?

William D'Aquila

This was brought up in chat last evening, and should be explored more. I'm not going to say Kinkaid is a better goalie than Cory as that would be false, but is the difference between the two negligible?

We know the Oilers were interested in Cory prior to the 2012 draft in Newark. According to some sources, the Devils gave up far less than Edmonton offered. If that interest is still there, I believe the Devils should reach out to the Oilers and make a play for one of their forwards.

Cory Schneider, Eric Gelinas, Reid Boucher, and a 3rd

For

Taylor Hall, Ben Scrivens, and Jujhar Khaira

Kinkaid and Scrivens split time, and in the offseason if they don't trust Keith to be their man, they make a play for James Reimer who is a very good goalie.

Edited by William D'Aquila

This isn't about bashing Cory, he is very good. What i am trying to ascertain is value. Keith's sample size isn't large enough to make a trade like this today, but lets say he continues to play at this clip till March, and the Oilers still have interest and would be willing to give up Hall. Would you give up Cory?

Not for Hall.

What if Kinkaid then does't work out?  I know Cory was unproven going into this season in a sense he never played as a team's legit #1 starter, but to hand things over to Kinkaid is doing that again with an even more unproven goalie.

It is a risk, but I don't want to pay Cory $6 million if the difference between the two players is an 8.7 vs 8.5. Especially if we can acquire assets that actually address our more pertinent and pressing need - FORWARDS.

You are right, Taylor Hall might not be the ideal player. Maybe RNH is? Maybe you can get Benn out of Dallas or Seguin out of there, they need goaltending desperately too. 

Edited by William D'Aquila

First of all, Kinkaid has made two starts. To suggest any comparisons with Cory, or almost any goalie in the league, is ridiculous. Is the difference between the two negligible? How the hell is anyone supposed to know that who isn't a professional goaltender scout. Even they're wrong most of the time. Why don't we let him finish his first season as a part-time back-up first.

I was all for trading Schneider last year when I was totally convinced he wasn't re-signing. At this point, I'm not really sure I care one way or the other. I'm not super attached to the guy. I'm still kind of unhappy with some of the things he said in interviews when he first came here and the fact that he wears #35 because of Mike Richter. To me, goalies are numbers, and before I come to like the guy back their, I couldn't give a sh!t who it is as long as their numbers are great. Goalies aren't bringing many intangibles to the table. They just need to stop the god damn puck. Would I be heartbroken if we traded Schneider and replaced him with someone who's putting up the same numbers? No. Is a Scrivens/Kinkaid split going to produce Cory numbers? Unlikely. However, with a team this bad, it doesn't really matter too much.

It's ridiculous to think Schneider would be moved, like everyone else says every time you make one of these ridiculous propositions, it isn't a video game. Blockbuster moves seem to be happening less and less in sports, and hockey certainly isn't an exception. It's a lot of money moving around, too. But would I be opposed to moving him at his highest value considering the Devils may never be competitive during his prime? Not at all. I just know it isn't going to happen. Listen to whatever you want, management knew this team was terrible, and probably didn't expect to make a cup run this year. Schneider wasn't signed to a max deal to be traded six months later.

I'm down for moving any of those pieces, and I'd love to have a star forward to build around. I honestly think that move brings us closer to sustainable success on the ice than not doing that move. Goalies come and go. I guess not if you ask Edmonton or Philly. That aside, a deal like this never happens, and I just wasted a bunch of my time talking about it.

Edit: I almost forgot. Reimer is terrible.

Edited by thecoffeecake

It is a risk, but I don't want to pay Cory $6 million if the difference between the two players is an 8.7 vs 8.5. Especially if we can acquire assets that actually address our more pertinent and pressing need - FORWARDS.

You are right, Taylor Hall might not be the ideal player. Maybe RNH is? Maybe you can get Benn out of Dallas or Seguin out of there, they need goaltending desperately too. 

No for Benn, doubt Seguin is going to be moved and hell no for RNH.

Cory's extension doesn't even kick in till next year.  Paul Holmgren's not the GM of the Devils so it's silly to talk about any Cory trade proposals for at least the next couple years.

Oh for fvcks sake, can we just IP ban Beetlebum already?

How many ridiculous threads are you going to make this season? I'm already counting 4 so far, I believe.

Everyone can put him on ignore

Warning, paranoia ahead...

Only reason I would consider trading him is because something he said when he signed the extension left me feeling a little worried about his desire to play in nj. He said, "There are only so many starting jobs in the NHL". I know I'm probably reading too much into that but that isn't exact reassuring. I know he could have tested free agency but maybe he thought this was the best deal he could have gotten so close to his home (Massachusetts). It's not like he wanted to be traded here to begin with.

Either way I like Cory and unless he makes it clear he doesn't like it here I'd like to hang onto him. Maybe just play Kinkaid a little more often now that we know he can handle it.

Of course if we can put a package together including him for Edmontons 1st this year I'd consider it. They'd probably want too much though like Schneider + Severson + Henrique.

This is an incredibly stupid idea. KK gas played well but he is fare,y an NHL goalie. You don't trade away a guy like Schneider who you have locked up for years based on a 30 game sample size (I'm guessing, didn't look how many it actually is, but it's irrelevant).

Him for Hall straight up? I can't laugh it off even if the goaltending would be a question mark. This team isn't making the playoffs and while he has not been stellar isn't the goal for us to aim for the top 2-3 prospects? Can we obtain any of them with a recovering roster and Cory in net?

Edited by Marv4Life

First of all, that trade never happens. No way the Oilers trade Hall and a goalie, even if it's a top flight one, isn't bringing back a game breaking top 20 forward.

The whole premise is ridiculous though. Schneider isn't getting traded nor should he be. Pointless to even discuss this.

Some further info

"When the trade broke the initial reaction from insiders was how irked the Oilers were going to be. Cory Schneider had just moved to the New Jersey Devils in exchange for Bo Horvat, otherwise known as the 9th overall selection in the 2013 NHL Draft. It was a disappointingly low return for a top NHL goalie. Especially when you consider what the Oilers allegedly offered: A package that included a first rounder, a second rounder and a high end prospect. The only problem being that Vancouver play in the same division as Edmonton. This trades poses the question of whether it is truly more beneficial to accept a smaller package in a trade or to trade within the division?"

First of all, Kinkaid has made two starts. To suggest any comparisons with Cory, or almost any goalie in the league, is ridiculous. Is the difference between the two negligible? How the hell is anyone supposed to know that who isn't a professional goaltender scout. Even they're wrong most of the time. Why don't we let him finish his first season as a part-time back-up first.

I was all for trading Schneider last year when I was totally convinced he wasn't re-signing. At this point, I'm not really sure I care one way or the other. I'm not super attached to the guy. I'm still kind of unhappy with some of the things he said in interviews when he first came here and the fact that he wears #35 because of Mike Richter. To me, goalies are numbers, and before I come to like the guy back their, I couldn't give a sh!t who it is as long as their numbers are great. Goalies aren't bringing many intangibles to the table. They just need to stop the god damn puck. Would I be heartbroken if we traded Schneider and replaced him with someone who's putting up the same numbers? No. Is a Scrivens/Kinkaid split going to produce Cory numbers? Unlikely. However, with a team this bad, it doesn't really matter too much.

It's ridiculous to think Schneider would be moved, like everyone else says every time you make one of these ridiculous propositions, it isn't a video game. Blockbuster moves seem to be happening less and less in sports, and hockey certainly isn't an exception. It's a lot of money moving around, too. But would I be opposed to moving him at his highest value considering the Devils may never be competitive during his prime? Not at all. I just know it isn't going to happen. Listen to whatever you want, management knew this team was terrible, and probably didn't expect to make a cup run this year. Schneider wasn't signed to a max deal to be traded six months later.

I'm down for moving any of those pieces, and I'd love to have a star forward to build around. I honestly think that move brings us closer to sustainable success on the ice than not doing that move. Goalies come and go. I guess not if you ask Edmonton or Philly. That aside, a deal like this never happens, and I just wasted a bunch of my time talking about it.

Edit: I almost forgot. Reimer is terrible.

I suggest you watch more Leafs games, Reimer is very good.