Should Daneyko continue as color commentator next year?

'7'

Ken Daneyko - Should he be our color analyst next season?  

60 members have voted

1. 1. Should Daneyko continue in his role as Devils color analyst next season?

• Yes
    • No

Dano isn't as colorful as chico, but gives good insight into what's probably going on in the room.  He's not going anywhere.  He sounds like he has throat (singers) pollups (sp/)

If thats the case, he'll get it fixed after the sea on.

I do not get the Steve hate.  Compared to the other 29 or so PBP guys in the league I would say he would rank somewhere in the middle.  I think some of it is unfair to him as he replaced quite possibly the best PBP person in NHL history.

When Doc retired, I was seriously worried that Matt would replace him.  I was/am extremely relieved that it was Steve and not Matt.

How I rank our PBP guys (since I've been watching):

Gary Thorne

Steve Cangelosi 

Doc Emrick

Color:

Bill Clement

Dano

Chico

To me, Doc and Chico just had too much of that high pitched Canadian voice going on (which is weird because Emrick is American). At least Dano has some bass in his voice. If he wasn't so busy making movies I'd say give Kevin Smith a shot at Color (kind of like how they tried Howard Stern on Monday Night Football). He's been repping the Devils in his movies for years and he's a fan. But I want Clerks 3 and Mallratz 2 first. 

Edited by Jerzey Devil

Gary Thorne

Steve Cangelosi 

Doc Emrick

Color:

Bill Clement

Dano

Chico

To me, Doc and Chico just had too much of that high pitched Canadian voice going on (which is weird because Emrick is American). At least Dano has some bass in his voice. If he wasn't so busy making movies I'd say give Kevin Smith a shot at Color (kind of like how they tried Howard Stern on Monday Night Football). He's been repping the Devils in his movies for years and he's a fan. But I want Clerks 3 and Mallratz 2 first. 

Could not disagree more with Thorne and Clement being the best.  I mean I think Thorne is still recovering from the surgery of having his lips detached from Bourque and Sakic's asses during the 2001 Finals.

• Like 1

To me Doc and Chico sound like a black comedian in the 90's making fun of how white people talk. Just more annoying than entertaining. They do both seem like great people though. Maybe it's just a nostalgia thing with Thorne though. 

Edited by Jerzey Devil

Stop blaming Dano, It's the ice product. if they are winning who give a $hit.

Who's "blaming" Dano for anything?  Some people just don't like him as a color guy 

I voted Yes for him to stay, for two reasons:  1) I genuinely like him (and don't really know who else is out there), and 2) I think he's gotta get another year...I say give him some time.  I think the overall voting reflects that too...I think people WANT to give him a chance to see if he can improve (though I think we all have our doubts). 

I like Dano, and I care that he stays a part of this team. He has just been such a bore, and so devoid of insightful comments, that I am willing to say that he needs to be removed from the PBP broadcast. If he was kept on another year, I would understand, but I would continue to watch the away teams' broadcasts (aside from a few horrendous PBP teams).

Stop blaming Dano, It's the ice product. if they are winning who give a $hit.

If you are going to fill every thread with "its all about the on-ice product!" then please just go watch college or high school hockey.  It's bare-bones hockey with no bells or whistles surrounding it and I think you would love it.

For the most part I don't find him annoying, which is for the most part what I care about.   But he really doesn't add anything at all except to tell old war stories that we've heard a million times already. 

The quintessential awful announcer is John Sterling, who actually makes me dread when the Yankees do something positive (to the extent I still care about baseball).

On a related note while I like the what the new owners have done so far as arena upgrades and the pregame presentation, would have loved it if they took the amount they paid for that to land Don LaGreca as our play-by-play either on the radio or tv. 

You can call it biased, but I honestly find Joe Micheletti to be one of the most atrocious color guys. Honestly, it's not even his homerism for the Rangers, it's just his pure Lundqvist-love fest that makes me nauseous. 

Edited by Neb00rs

You can call it biased, but I honestly find Joe Micheletti to be one of the most atrocious color guys. Honestly, it's not even his homerism for the Rangers, it's just his pure Lundqvist-love fest that makes me nauseous. 

He wasn't like this at all for the Islanders, but MSG when it comes to Ranger games encourages this type of homerism

For the most part I don't find him annoying, which is for the most part what I care about. But he really doesn't add anything at all except to tell old war stories that we've heard a million times already.

The quintessential awful announcer is John Sterling, who actually makes me dread when the Yankees do something positive (to the extent I still care about baseball).

On a related note while I like the what the new owners have done so far as arena upgrades and the pregame presentation, would have loved it if they took the amount they paid for that to land Don LaGreca as our play-by-play either on the radio or tv.

Totally agree about LaGreca, would love him as the radio PBP guy. Poor bastard has turned into a shill for the Rags though... I wonder if he got rid of his Devils tattoo... As far as Dano goes, I'll give him one more year to get better. If he shows no improvement after next season, I'd let him go as the color guy and move him back to the studio co-host with hopefully someone who will have replaced Deb by then.

Totally agree about LaGreca, would love him as the radio PBP guy. Poor bastard has turned into a shill for the Rags though... I wonder if he got rid of his Devils tattoo... As far as Dano goes, I'll give him one more year to get better. If he shows no improvement after next season, I'd let him go as the color guy and move him back to the studio co-host with hopefully someone who will have replaced Deb by then.

I've heard second hand about comments on air where he's generally pretty open about the fact that he's a Devils fan, but that he roots for the Rangers because he works for them and that it benefits his career when the Rangers do well. Sort of like if you played hockey and got drafted by a team you rooted against growing up. I've never heard of an instance where the player makes even a small issue out of it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Gary Thorne

Steve Cangelosi

Doc Emrick

Color:

Bill Clement

Dano

Chico

not ranking doc as #1 when he's the best pbp man in hockey imo. Doc and chico were our best duo. Kenny is annoying to listen to but after the 3rd game I've watched the games in mute.

If you are going to fill every thread with "its all about the on-ice product!" then please just go watch college or high school hockey.  It's bare-bones hockey with no bells or whistles surrounding it and I think you would love it.

Thanks for your suggestion, not a very good one however. What you can't seem to understand I guess if the Devils were winning fans wouldn't be complaining about Dano's first year.

Thanks for your suggestion, not a very good one however. What you can't seem to understand I guess if the Devils were winning fans wouldn't be complaining about Dano's first year.

Look at my very first post on this thread. It says exactly that.

I just don't want another thread filled with your posts that are you constantly screaming about its all about the on ice product. You have already ground plenty of other threads to a halt like that.

Edited by DevsMan84