2016 Stanley Cup Playoffs thread

MadDog2020

I didn't watch most of the game, but fleury's numbers don't look good. I'm shocked they pulled the plug on Murray like that. You can't be juggling goalies in the conference finals. If fleury is your number one going forward, fine, but you can't jump ship on Murray after a game where he wasn't going to do a whole lot of anything on those goals and fleury makes 7 stops. The pens had lost 5 times through the first two and a half rounds in front of him. Horrible decision by Sullivan. What the hell does he do now? Crawl back to Murray? I doubt it. I bet we see a shaky fleury backstop the pens to a silent and painless exit in game 6.

This is such an interesting playoffs. You want to say Tampa won't have a shot in the finals if they do get there, but if bishop is healthy it looks like he is the most qualified goaltender left to lift the cup. If they do clinch in 6, the lightning have quietly torn through the east.

for all we know maybe there's a reason Murray didn't start. Maybe he's stiff or sick or god knows. tied series... buddy not feeling 100%, you know you might have to play Fleury at some point to give him some play in case something goes down later... Fleury gave up 4 goals, a few were not really his fault either. And well.. Murray let in 4 goals last game too

for all we know maybe there's a reason Murray didn't start. Maybe he's stiff or sick or god knows. tied series... buddy not feeling 100%, you know you might have to play Fleury at some point to give him some play in case something goes down later... Fleury gave up 4 goals, a few were not really his fault either. And well.. Murray let in 4 goals last game too

Murray had no chance on those 4 goals He let in last game.

Fleury was out of position the entire night and was lucky 5 or 6 did not go by him. I'd definitely go back to Murray for game 6.

9 hours ago, thecoffeecake said:

I didn't watch most of the game, but fleury's numbers don't look good. I'm shocked they pulled the plug on Murray like that. You can't be juggling goalies in the conference finals. If fleury is your number one going forward, fine, but you can't jump ship on Murray after a game where he wasn't going to do a whole lot of anything on those goals and fleury makes 7 stops. The pens had lost 5 times through the first two and a half rounds in front of him. Horrible decision by Sullivan. What the hell does he do now? Crawl back to Murray? I doubt it. I bet we see a shaky fleury backstop the pens to a silent and painless exit in game 6.

This is such an interesting playoffs. You want to say Tampa won't have a shot in the finals if they do get there, but if bishop is healthy it looks like he is the most qualified goaltender left to lift the cup. If they do clinch in 6, the lightning have quietly torn through the east.

I don't know how or why people underestimated the Lightning, again.  They were two wins away from a Cup last year, beating 3 original 6 teams (never been done before) before losing to the Hawks in 6, and this year they were one of the best regular season teams for most of the year and have beaten a few good teams pretty easily thus far (Wings in 5 and Isles in 5).  Their team is almost identical to last year's, with some notable improvements.

4 minutes ago, NJDfan1711 said:

I don't know how or why people underestimated the Lightning, again.  They were two wins away from a Cup last year, beating 3 original 6 teams (never been done before) before losing to the Hawks in 6, and this year they were one of the best regular season teams for most of the year and have beaten a few good teams pretty easily thus far (Wings in 5 and Isles in 5).  Their team is almost identical to last year's, with some notable improvements.

I thought they would lose in the first or second round.  Never thought they would get to the conference finals without guys like Stamkos and, more importantly, Strahlman.  They totally proved me wrong and impressed me with their depth and how they are able to deal with injuries to major contributors in a seamless fashion. 

1 hour ago, Chuck the Duck said:

I thought they would lose in the first or second round.  Never thought they would get to the conference finals without guys like Stamkos and, more importantly, Strahlman.  They totally proved me wrong and impressed me with their depth and how they are able to deal with injuries to major contributors in a seamless fashion. 

Yeah, I wasn't sure what to expect with the loss of those two guys, but in terms of Stamkos, even though he's thought to be a top 5 player in the league and generally irreplaceable, the Lightning are pretty unique in that they really do have a ton of depth, especially at scoring.  On any other team that would be a huge blow, because you really just can't replace his scoring from another individual save for maybe two or three other guys in the league, but you CAN pretty much pick up the slack if you have a half dozen other guys who up their games and contribute in his absence.  That's basically what we've seen, and credit to guys like Kucherov, Palat, Killorn, Johnson, etc, who have all taken advantage of a little more ice time and opportunities with Stamkos being out of the lineup. 

11 hours ago, Zubie#8 said:

Fleury was out of position the entire night and was lucky 5 or 6 did not go by him. I'd definitely go back to Murray for game 6.

The Killorn's goal was a ripper and perfect top corner, fleury was square to the shot there, its stoppable but it was a perfect top corner shot, hard to knock a goalie too much there, he had an inch to put it in and he did. The first Kucherov goal it's all Hagelin's fault. Look at the play he's leaving his side and goes on the other side to get him outside of the play while Kucherov (his guy) walked in all by himself. Fleury was taking the shooter there, he did was he was supposed to do and buddy got the puck on the other side wide open, Fleury had no chance, he had to take the shooter and the player had to get the pass. On the tying goal he went the rebound in the corner which is what goalies are told to do. Too bad Kucherov was coming with speed, picked it up and made a nice play but that play started with Crosby's turnover with his no look pass that got picked up by a tampa player. And the OT goal went off someone in front. That being said you could tell Fleury was a bit rusty but none of those goals were incredibly weak or anything.they are typical goals you see scored on any goalie in the league.

again by no stretch of imagination am i suggesting fleury was stellar but to blame the loss on him is a stretch imo, none of those goals were really weak

Edited by SterioDesign

11 hours ago, Devil Dan 56 said:

Murray got them there. Changing horses mid stream is dangerous, especially when you're 2 wins from the finals. Fluery has proven to be a playoff flop more often than not. 

Don't be shocked Murray's back in tomorrow night. The Flower had a lot of rust on him.

I love the "back & forth" with Hitch & Deboer. "Hitch will tell you they won the the "adjustments" he made! Tell him Pete! Sharks will be back tonight.

42 minutes ago, BlueSkirt said:

I thought it was over when Bishop when down, but the backup keeper (excluding his rebounds) has been outstanding.   

Both teams have shown the ability to come back from big deficits during the games, so Game 6 will be fun to watch !

Couldn't agree more.  I think that's been Vasilevsky's only knock thus far - the rebounds.  I don't think they've been terrible, but it's the one thing myself and a few others have noticed after watching him this series.  His positioning has been pretty sound and I think his reflexes even better.

The Killorn's goal was a ripper and perfect top corner, fleury was square to the shot there, its stoppable but it was a perfect top corner shot, hard to knock a goalie too much there, he had an inch to put it in and he did. The first Kucherov goal it's all Hagelin's fault. Look at the play he's leaving his side and goes on the other side to get him outside of the play while Kucherov (his guy) walked in all by himself. Fleury was taking the shooter there, he did was he was supposed to do and buddy got the puck on the other side wide open, Fleury had no chance, he had to take the shooter and the player had to get the pass. On the tying goal he went the rebound in the corner which is what goalies are told to do. Too bad Kucherov was coming with speed, picked it up and made a nice play but that play started with Crosby's turnover with his no look pass that got picked up by a tampa player. And the OT goal went off someone in front. That being said you could tell Fleury was a bit rusty but none of those goals were incredibly weak or anything.they are typical goals you see scored on any goalie in the league.

again by no stretch of imagination am i suggesting fleury was stellar but to blame the loss on him is a stretch imo, none of those goals were really weak

I feel like Murray is just always very well positioned, much like how Schneider plays. I think the Pens have a gem in him. We will see how this offseason plays out if teams knock on the door for Fleury.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

7 hours ago, SterioDesign said:

This is all fine, but game 4 wasn't Murray's fault either, and he lost his spot because fleury made 7 saves. This far in, it should be Murray's to win or lose. If I'm Sullivan, I'm not sure I can swallow my pride at this point. And if he rides fleury and they win 6 more games, he's a genius. He'll probably live or die by this gamble.