2016 Stanley Cup Playoffs thread

MadDog2020

8 minutes ago, Martyisth3b3st said:

Although it's mighty kind of you to speak for 'everyone', we were a few fluky misses away from taking a 3-2 series lead with that win at home in game 5. 

You don't make the Stanley Cup Finals by accident.

Yeah, was definitely frustrated by the two OT losses, but I think a lot of us were still hopeful that the Devils would still make it a series at that point...I sure as hell didn't think it was "over" by any stretch.  When the Devils lost Game 3 4-0, yeah, I think a lot of fans were hoping to win a game or two, to avoid getting swept.

The Kings were a frustrating opponent for sure...partly because despite being hard to play against, they didn't always kill you on the scoreboard (as the two OT games showed)...but they just beat you.  And rarely gave you much.  Devils scored just 8 goals that series (one of them an empty-netter).   

5 hours ago, Martyisth3b3st said:

Although it's mighty kind of you to speak for 'everyone', we were a few fluky misses away from taking a 3-2 series lead with that win at home in game 5. 

You don't make the Stanley Cup Finals by accident.

I never said they weren't good enough to be in the finals, I'm saying they were dominated in the finals. Just like this Sharks team. I'm saying it was a fluke that games one and two went into OT, because we were dominated. Our forecheck, which is what got us there in the first place, was completely shut down by LA's defense and the way they moved the puck. DeBoer got horribly out coached, and we spent 6 games watching LA spread their defense out exiting their zone, zig-zagging the puck around the ice, and having three Devils inside LA's blueline watching Kopitar and company bear down on Brodeur. Sure, I was holding out hope. I didn't give up hope until it was mathematically impossible for the Devils to erase the deficit in game six. But that series was over when they scored the OT goal in game two. LA had taken a 3-0 lead in every series, Quick was putting on one of the best performances in playoffs history, and we were going into their building down 2-0. If a sense of inevitability didn't come over you after game two, your hockey sense was clouded by your Devils support, which is understandable. 4 years later, though, it's hard to justify arguing that that series was anything short of entirely one sided.

When I say "everyone", I'm speaking in a practical sense. Yea, Devils fans believed until the very end, but a vast majority of neutral observers knew how that series was going to end.

For some reason, I don't have the feeling that Pittsburgh is going to tie it up. San Jose have dug themselves in, and Jones has bailed them out when he's needed to. The Penguins have obviously been the better team, but I think unfortunately for everyone in Pittsburgh, this is gonna get wrapped up in 6. You always like to see championships clinched at home, especially since Pittsburgh hasn't had one wrapped up there in almost 60 years. Both teams need to stay out of the box. The Pens have had San Jose on their heels for much of the game, and give them a power play and they put one in, it's over. For San Jose, they give Pittsburgh another shot on the power play and they covert, it's probably also over. I think we're in for 20 minutes of the Martin Jones show. He's gonna have a ton coming his way.

54 minutes ago, thecoffeecake said:

For some reason, I don't have the feeling that Pittsburgh is going to tie it up. San Jose have dug themselves in, and Jones has bailed them out when he's needed to. The Penguins have obviously been the better team, but I think unfortunately for everyone in Pittsburgh, this is gonna get wrapped up in 6. You always like to see championships clinched at home, especially since Pittsburgh hasn't had one wrapped up there in almost 60 years. Both teams need to stay out of the box. The Pens have had San Jose on their heels for much of the game, and give them a power play and they put one in, it's over. For San Jose, they give Pittsburgh another shot on the power play and they covert, it's probably also over. I think we're in for 20 minutes of the Martin Jones show. He's gonna have a ton coming his way.

Who gives a sh!t about whether or not Pitt sees a championship at home

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Martyisth3b3st said:

So this question will make me sound stupid. That's okay.

has it always been the "Stanley Cup Final"? I thought it was the "Stanley Cup Finals". Like, plural. I kept noticing them say it this series and it made my ear twitch. Last night I noticed on the ice and the logos it said "Stanley Cup Final", no s. 

Or maybe I'm just an idiot, which is a theory in totally not discrediting yet.

I google image searched 'Stanley Cup Finals (year)' and each one brought up the logo without the 's'.  I always thought of it as Finals, as well.  But it looks like it is Final.

Edited by Crisis

So this question will make me sound stupid. That's okay.

has it always been the "Stanley Cup Final"? I thought it was the "Stanley Cup Finals". Like, plural. I kept noticing them say it this series and it made my ear twitch. Last night I noticed on the ice and the logos it said "Stanley Cup Final", no s. 

Or maybe I'm just an idiot, which is a theory in totally not discrediting yet.

I google image searched 'Stanley Cup Finals (year)' and each one brought up the logo without the 's'.  I always thought of it as Finals, as well.  But it looks like it is Final.

I always called it 'Finals' growing up too, but I'd say 'Final' took over about 10 years ago or so... I guess they started calling it that to refer to it as the 'Final' series.

Murray has been so awful. The series is over in 4 if for anyone else in net. When fleury got healthy I said you need to stick with Murray, but you have to open next season with fleury, and that's what's gonna happen.

If this score holds tonight, who gets the conn smythe? Kessel?