Palms

vadvlfan

How much $$ & how much term.  Who is a comparable? He's 25 so 7 years would be OK I guess.  Rico at 4 mil scored 30, Zajac 5.7 mil,  Cammi @ 5 mil. I'm thinking 5.25? This last year (15-16) was his best.  Then again he was permanently top six in NJ. Not so in Anaheim. What should he realistically  get?

I would go for 7 years at between $5.5m and $6m per. Though, as raised in the other thread, it makes more sense for Kyle to make it 5 years so he can go back into free agency at 30 as opposed to 32, and perhaps grab another fat contract for 3 or 4 years. 

Of course, doing that runs the risk of injury or just age related decline making him worth less. Or, he could come back to earth and be a 12-14 goal a year guy, and he'll never get another big contract.

shero has said they're on the same page dollars wise but not term. now that could mean that palmieri wants two years so he can get UFA or it could mean he wants 7 or 8 for the long term. I think shero wants 5 x 5.25. I would go 6 years at that number if i had to. i don't love 7 or 8 years for non-cornerstone players and as much as i like palmieri and what he brings, he does not strike me as a guy that's scoring 25-30G for the next 7-8 years.

18 hours ago, vadvlfan said:

How much $$ & how much term.  Who is a comparable? He's 25 so 7 years would be OK I guess.  Rico at 4 mil scored 30, Zajac 5.7 mil,  Cammi @ 5 mil. I'm thinking 5.25? This last year (15-16) was his best.  Then again he was permanently top six in NJ. Not so in Anaheim. What should he realistically  get?

This article was written in May but it gives some comps around the league - I hope it's OK that I post a link to another blog (I thought it was interesting anyway)... Happy 4th! 

http://www.allaboutthejersey.com/2016/5/15/11674444/lets-guess-how-much-will-kyle-palmieri-get-paid-this-summer

1 hour ago, sundstrom said:

shero has said they're on the same page dollars wise but not term. now that could mean that palmieri wants two years so he can get UFA or it could mean he wants 7 or 8 for the long term. I think shero wants 5 x 5.25. I would go 6 years at that number if i had to. i don't love 7 or 8 years for non-cornerstone players and as much as i like palmieri and what he brings, he does not strike me as a guy that's scoring 25-30G for the next 7-8 years.

If that's your standard, nobody on the team should get a 7-8 year deal. 

2 hours ago, mfitz804 said:

If hall were in this position, he gets it of course. 7+ years is a LONG time. Look, if you're giving out say 4.5 or 5 million to someone like Larsson at this point, I would be ok with it. That's not going bad and you're expecting improvement. 

Palmieri is a fine player. But last year is the best you're going to get from him. That doesn't mean he can't repeat it. Just that there won't be improvement. And if he shoots 6%, then he's a 20G scorer and that's not enough for 7 years

7 hours ago, sundstrom said:

If hall were in this position, he gets it of course. 7+ years is a LONG time. Look, if you're giving out say 4.5 or 5 million to someone like Larsson at this point, I would be ok with it. That's not going bad and you're expecting improvement. 

Palmieri is a fine player. But last year is the best you're going to get from him. That doesn't mean he can't repeat it. Just that there won't be improvement. And if he shoots 6%, then he's a 20G scorer and that's not enough for 7 years

Last year was his first in that role. You can't dismiss the possibility of him having better years down the line given his lack of experience and age. I'm not saying I'd count on it with a lengthy term, but you can't be so sure he doesn't have another season or two better than he did last year

"Palmieri is a fine player. But last year is the best you're going to get from him. That doesn't mean he can't repeat it. Just that there won't be improvement. And if he shoots 6%, then he's a 20G scorer and that's not enough for 7 year

"

Idk about this, Palmieri is like a Pavelski-lite. He can score any way, wrist snap slap shot, deflections, dirty goals. He is also talented enough to man the point on the PP and he is just a hound on the puck. He looks like Parise out there at times. I can see him getting 60 PTS next season.

Also let's remember the 20 games or so he had Kalinin on his line strictly as a shutdown line. I think there is more potential in him. We will find out soon.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I like Palmieri a lot (a very much big enormous lot), but a few things to consider:

His shots/60 at evens has trailed off. Corsi, Fenwick, on goal, doesn't matter. From 10.6 in 12/13 to 6.59 in S/60. I'd bet some of that is tied to possession - Anaheim were around 50% with him on the ice and then 45.9% in his first season with NJ. Also, and perhaps more importantly, NJ generate a lot less shots. With Palmieri on ice Ducks were around 41 unblocked shots per 60 mins, in NJ 31. Huge difference.

Also, as far as 30+30 goes, he had a hand (goal, 1a, 2a) in 88% of the goals that were scored when he was on the ice at 5v5. For reference, prior to last season, Sidney Crosby was the career leader at 85%. So basically I'd expect him to go down a bit in that regard, but the Devils might also score more often when he's on the ice, assuming the Devils improve.

On the other hand his PP numbers look very solid and he shoots a ton. And while I'm writing all this, I'm not entirely sure where I stand on the topic of does Palmieri improve, get worse or maintain his production. 

Edited by Marshall

Just now, Devilsfan118 said:

Anyone worried about an offer sheet?

I'm not, personally.  We'd match anything obviously, we have the space.

Can't say I'm worried because of the reason you mentioned, but ain my mind, a quicker deal means the player is happy, and you want him to be happy. 

4 hours ago, Marshall said:

I like Palmieri a lot (a very much big enormous lot), but a few things to consider:

His shots/60 at evens has trailed off. Corsi, Fenwick, on goal, doesn't matter. From 10.6 in 12/13 to 6.59 in S/60. I'd bet some of that is tied to possession - Anaheim were around 50% with him on the ice and then 45.9% in his first season with NJ. Also, and perhaps more importantly, NJ generate a lot less shots. With Palmieri on ice Ducks were around 41 unblocked shots per 60 mins, in NJ 31. Huge difference.

Also, as far as 30+30 goes, he had a hand (goal, 1a, 2a) in 88% of the goals that were scored when he was on the ice at 5v5. For reference, prior to last season, Sidney Crosby was the career leader at 85%. So basically I'd expect him to go down a bit in that regard, but the Devils might also score more often when he's on the ice, assuming the Devils improve.

On the other hand his PP numbers look very solid and he shoots a ton. And while I'm writing all this, I'm not entirely sure where I stand on the topic of does Palmieri improve, get worse or maintain his production. 

I think it goes down a bit. Expecting 25-28

21 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

Can't say I'm worried because of the reason you mentioned, but ain my mind, a quicker deal means the player is happy, and you want him to be happy. 

I think there is still quite a few RFA's out there unsigned. We shouldn't worry, Lou has done this for years.  You have all the time you need , use it.

He will get signed. Nothing to worry about.

1 hour ago, Devilsfan118 said:

Anyone worried about an offer sheet?

I'm not, personally.  We'd match anything obviously, we have the space.

If offer sheets were really used by GM .... Tampa would be a lot more in trouble than we are ! 
I really don't get why there is still the option of doing it if nobody want to do so... It's not an act of war ... it's business by the rule. If it's too dirty, remove the rule. 

But to answer your question, i'm not worried at all.

1 hour ago, 2ELIAS6 said:

he will definitely get signed but 7 years is too long for just about anyone.. I like 4 year deals personally, you don't know how people will change performance wise over a span of years.

That's true, but the flip side is true too. Its nice to have a younger player locked up so that they don't bolt in free agency as a younger, more desirable player. 

Its a gamble, and I am not saying you take it every time, but sometimes it makes more sense. Especially where other teams are willing to do it and they take the declining years as an accommodation in order to ensure they still have the player during the productive years. 

Honestly, who knows what Palmieri will do this year. He could be less productive because Hall and a healthy (in theory) Cammalleri will take up some of those scoring opportunities. Or, they could create even more for Palmieri and he could be even more productive. Only time will tell.