2017 NHL Draft Thread

CommonDreads

Figured I might as well start this thread up with the season around the corner, as well as Junior preseasons starting right now.

Put out some content over the past few days, including a in depth look at the players that I currently have ranked in the Top 15 on my Preseason Rankings:

2017 NHL Draft - Meet the Top 15
2017 NHL Draft Rankings - Preseason

1. Nolan Patrick, C, Brandon (WHL)
2. Timothy Liljegren, D, Rogle(SWE)
3. Casey Mittelstadt, C/LW, Eden Prairie (USHS)
4. Maxime Comtois, C/LW, Victoriaville (QMJHL)
5. Owen Tippett, RW, Mississauga (OHL)
6. Gabriel Vilardi, C, Windsor (OHL)
7. Kristian Vesalainen, LW/RW, Frolunda (SWE)
8. Kailer Yamamoto, C/LW, Spokane (WHL)
9. Eeli Tolvanen, LW, Sioux City (USHL)
10. Callan Foote, D, Kelowna (WHL)

A player that I like a lot for the Devils early on is Steelheads defenseman Nicolas Hague. 6'6", 207 lb, left shot defenseman who got 14 goals in his -1 Draft year. Currently have him ranked 11th. Will likely be putting out a Mock Draft soon with the order based on the Vegas odds for the season.

Edited by CommonDreads
  • Like 1

And as promised, my first mock draft of the new season, draft order is based on the Vegas Odds:

2017 NHL Mock Draft - Preseason

1. CAR - Nolan Patrick, C, Brandon (WHL)
2. VAN - Timothy Liljegren, D, Rogle (SWE)
3. LV - Casey Mittelstadt, C/LW, Eden Prairie (USHS)
4. ARZ - Maxime Comtois, C/LW, Victoriaville (QMJHL)
5. TOR - Owen Tippett, RW, Mississauga (OHL)
6. COL - Gabriel Vilardi, C, Windsor (OHL)
7. WPG - Kristian Vesalainen, LW/RW, Frolunda (SWE)
8. OTT - Kailer Yamamoto, C/LW, Spokane (WHL)
9. BUF - Callan Foote, D, Kelowna (WHL)
10. NJ - Nicolas Hague, D, Mississauga (OHL)

9 hours ago, Nicomo said:

I certainly hope they don't end up drafting Callan Foote. His father had one of the most punchable faces of any player I've ever seen. Hated that guy.

Since we drafted Stephane Matteau's kid, I see no reason we won't draft the son of the guy who probably had the second most painful goal against the devils in team history.    That creampuff Brodeur let in from the blue line in game 6 of the 2001 SCF still bothers me.    

Thanks for the list CD.   I usually do a hockey trip with my Dad every winter and in recent years we've been hitting up OHL games.  Between the Devils drafting McLeod/Bastian and them having two 2017 top 10 prospects, I think we're leaning toward heading to Mississauga (or at least catching them as an away team) this year.   

21 hours ago, Lateralous said:

Since we drafted Stephane Matteau's kid, I see no reason we won't draft the son of the guy who probably had the second most painful goal against the devils in team history.    That creampuff Brodeur let in from the blue line in game 6 of the 2001 SCF still bothers me.    

Thanks for the list CD.   I usually do a hockey trip with my Dad every winter and in recent years we've been hitting up OHL games.  Between the Devils drafting McLeod/Bastian and them having two 2017 top 10 prospects, I think we're leaning toward heading to Mississauga (or at least catching them as an away team) this year.   

'Sauga is a good choice to go see some games for, 2 Devils prospects and with the McLeod brothers, Bastian, Nylander, Tippett, and Hague it's likely they'll be pretty good this year.

• 3 months later...

How is the top 5 of the draft looking now? Devils are really in desperate need of some game changing young talent. Starting to feel like every team (especially middle of the pack) has impact 19-22 year olds other than the Devils. Severson is the only sure fire to fit that category.

2 hours ago, Steadevils said:

How is the top 5 of the draft looking now? Devils are really in desperate need of some game changing young talent. Starting to feel like every team (especially middle of the pack) has impact 19-22 year olds other than the Devils. Severson is the only sure fire to fit that category.

If I had to rank a Top 10 right now:

1. Nolan Patrick, C, Brandon (WHL)

2. Timothy Liljegren, D, Rogle (SWE)

3. Casey Mittelstadt, C/LW, Eden Prairie (USHS)

4. Nico Hischier, C, Halifax (QMJHL)

5. Gabriel Vilardi, C, Windsor (OHL)

6. Michael Rasmussen, C, Tri-City (WHL)

7. Nicolas Hague, D, Mississauga (OHL)

8. Owen Tippett, RW, Mississauga (OHL)

9. Kristian Vesalainen, LW/RW, HPK (FIN)

10. Cal Foote, D, Kelowna (WHL)

I'm higher than most on Casey Mittelstadt, though not by much, but the kid is simply magic, routinely makes goalies and defensemen look stupid with the plays he makes. Also a big Nicolas Hague believer, think of him as the left handed Dougie Hamilton.

• 3 weeks later...

Round of Draft Content, per usual check it out if you'd like :)

2017 NHL Draft Rankings - January
2017 NHL Mock Draft - January 11th

1. COL - Nolan Patrick, C, Brandon (WHL)
2. ARZ - Timothy Liljegren, D, Timra (SWE-2)
3. VGK - Nico Hischier, C, Halifax (QMJHL)
4. NYI - Casey Mittelstadt, C/LW, Eden Prairie (USHS)
5. NJ - Gabriel Vilardi, C, Windsor (OHL)
6. DET - Michael Rasmussen, C, Tri-City (WHL)
7. BUF - Nicolas Hague, D, Mississauga (OHL)
8. DAL - Cal Foote, D, Kelowna (WHL)
9. TB - Eeli Tolvanen, LW, Sioux City (USHL)
10. WPG - Owen Tippett, RW, Mississauga (OHL)

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, CommonDreads said:

No, no relation. As far as relations go in this draft though, Cal Foote is the son of Adam Foote and Matthew Strome is brothers with Dylan and Ryan.

Yeah, knew about Foote. Hated his dad, but I could make my peace with drafting his son if he's really good. 

• 5 weeks later...

Ever since we got the 4th for Fiddler, I've been wondering which picks we (currently) have in this years draft.

The Devils Twitter feed said 10, including 2 seconds/thirds/fourths. I assumed we had our own 3rd - that LL didn't give away our 3rd for the albatross that was Ruutu. 

But, according to CapFriendly, we have San Jose's 3rd because of the Deboer hiring. There was lots of talk/articles/etc at the time that we weren't seeking compensation but the nice gent I reached out to at CapFriendly insists we have SJ's 3rd. 

Anyway, here's the link to our current (supposed) draft picks in case anyone is interested:  https://www.capfriendly.com/teams/devils 

35 minutes ago, LittleBallofHate said:

Ever since we got the 4th for Fiddler, I've been wondering which picks we (currently) have in this years draft.

The Devils Twitter feed said 10, including 2 seconds/thirds/fourths. I assumed we had our own 3rd - that LL didn't give away our 3rd for the albatross that was Ruutu. 

But, according to CapFriendly, we have San Jose's 3rd because of the Deboer hiring. There was lots of talk/articles/etc at the time that we weren't seeking compensation but the nice gent I reached out to at CapFriendly insists we have SJ's 3rd. 

Anyway, here's the link to our current (supposed) draft picks in case anyone is interested:  https://www.capfriendly.com/teams/devils 

I feel confident Shero can turn a couple these extra picks into decent roster players a la Palmieri. Wonder if anythings going to happen @ or before trade deadline? I'm hoping someone will take Parenteau off our hands. He, like Reid Boucher, have awesome hands but need time/space to get it off. if Shero's not able to pull anything off, thats' fine. I think there will be a fair amount of movement to avoid losing players for nada @ expansion draft.

• 4 weeks later...

Button posted his mock draft for March. Went by the standings at the time (we were 4th picking 5 because of Vegas).

1) Colorado = Nolan Patrick
2) Arizona = Nico Hischier (also says this pick could very likely be in play)
3) Vegas = Gabe Vilardi
4) Detroit = Cale Makar
5) New Jersey = Tim Liljegrin
6) Carolina = Owen Tippet
7) Dallas = Elias Petterson 
8) Vancouver = Michael Rasmussen
9) Winnipeg = Cody Glass
10) Buffalo = Miro Heikanen
11) Dallas = Martin Necas 
12) Florida = Eeli Tolvanen
13) Tampa Bay = Casey Mittlestadt
14) Philly = Nick Suzuki
15) Toronto = Jusso Valimaki

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/video/button-s-mock-draft-nico-or-nolan~1074108

I'm not going to pretend to know a lot about anyone here but does it make sense that we draft Tippet if we miss out on Patrick and Hischier? RW and scoring are huge needs and he's been playing with McLeod if I'm not mistaken. Defense is a huge need at this point too but I'd like to use this top 5 pick for high end offensive potential. I don't know anything about Vilardi. Obviously a center is my #1 choice but chances are we won't be drafting 1 or 2. Maybe Shero can try to trade up to 2 if AZ really wants to trade that pick.

Edited by Jerzey

1 hour ago, Jerzey said:

Button posted his mock draft for March. Went by the standings at the time (we were 4th picking 5 because of Vegas).

1) Colorado = Nolan Patrick
2) Arizona = Nico Hischier (also says this pick could very likely be in play)
3) Vegas = Gabe Vilardi
4) Detroit = Cale Makar
5) New Jersey = Tim Liljegrin
6) Carolina = Owen Tippet
7) Dallas = Elias Petterson 
8) Vancouver = Michael Rasmussen
9) Winnipeg = Cody Glass
10) Buffalo = Miro Heikanen
11) Dallas = Martin Necas 
12) Florida = Eeli Tolvanen
13) Tampa Bay = Casey Mittlestadt
14) Philly = Nick Suzuki
15) Toronto = Jusso Valimaki

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/video/button-s-mock-draft-nico-or-nolan~1074108

I'm not going to pretend to know a lot about anyone here but does it make sense that we draft Tippet if we miss out on Patrick and Hischier? RW and scoring are huge needs and he's been playing with McLeod if I'm not mistaken. Defense is a huge need at this point too but I'd like to use this top 5 pick for high end offensive potential. I don't know anything about Vilardi. Obviously a center is my #1 choice but chances are we won't be drafting 1 or 2. Maybe Shero can try to trade up to 2 if AZ really wants to trade that pick.

Some have said that Lilegrin might turn out to be as good as Erik Karllson, and others have said he's nothing that special.  

Lets hope we end up in the top two.