GDT: Game 31 - APPROPRIATE TITLE , 7:30 MSG+

RunninWithTheDevil

5 hours ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

I was hoping for improvement too, but you're never going to get much of it if the goalies aren't stopping shots at a NHL 2016-acceptable rate...it had to start there.  Roster (which I think is an issue even if Cory is hot) and coaching aside, if you knew that the Devils goalies were going to combine to put up a sub-.900 save% for what's coming up on two months, could you possibly make a case for any improvement?  No coach can overcome that.  And is it on Hynes that Henrique and Palms aren't going to score 30 goals every season?  The Devils needed career years from both of them just to come up with 84 points last year.  Some of the reasons the Devils haven't improved don't really have anything to do with Hynes.  To put it another way:  if Palms and Henrique are both on roughly 30-goal paces again (neither are even close) and Cory is in the .920-.930s  in save%, then this team probably shows some improvement in the standings and in point%.    

As far as moving in the right direction...Shero took (what I thought) was a worthwhile risk in trading Larsson for Hall.  It's clearly hurting at the moment, through no fault of Hall's...the D is really not good, and the Devils need to find an "ol' reliable" type back there.  Andy Greene is kind of a poorer man's version of that, and is starting to get a little up there in years.  Lovejoy and Moore aren't really working out, Severson is still a question mark...and it doesn't really get all that much better from there.  Really hope Shero can start upgrading that part of the team by the start of the 2017-18 season. 

I have to say that's fair enough.  I am just frustrated at this seemingly lack of passion from the team on some nights.  Have to say that the game last night was the best performance the team has put on in weeks and Cory had his best individual performance in weeks as well, so that's positive.  However it is a little bit of a downer knowing that this team could be completely out of it by the time the New Year rolls around.  If it wasn't for the combined fact I got a free ticket and it's Andy Greene Bobblehead night I probably wouldn't go to another game for another 4 weeks.  Maybe the Devils will surprise me and put on a nice little run in Jan-March as they face easier competition.

I was hoping Lovejoy was going to be at least serviceable, but he doesn't even look to be that.  Coupled with him being signed for a few more years makes it even more painful.  At least with equally dreadful Quincey he is only signed until the end of the year.

I have to say that Larry Brooks' article yesterday had me thinking that maybe he is right that the Devils should have chose BPA in 2015 draft with Provorov instead of going with Zacha.  Still not giving up on Zacha anytime soon, but boy could we use a player like Provorov right now and pray that Santini and Severson work out.

Just now, DevsMan84 said:

I have to say that's fair enough.  I am just frustrated at this seemingly lack of passion from the team on some nights.  Have to say that the game last night was the best performance the team has put on in weeks and Cory had his best individual performance in weeks as well, so that's positive.  However it is a little bit of a downer knowing that this team could be completely out of it by the time the New Year rolls around.  If it wasn't for the combined fact I got a free ticket and it's Andy Greene Bobblehead night I probably wouldn't go to another game for another 4 weeks.  Maybe the Devils will surprise me and put on a nice little run in Jan-March as they face easier competition.

I was hoping Lovejoy was going to be at least serviceable, but he doesn't even look to be that.  Coupled with him being signed for a few more years makes it even more painful.  At least with equally dreadful Quincey he is only signed until the end of the year.

I have to say that Larry Brooks' article yesterday had me thinking that maybe he is right that the Devils should have chose BPA in 2015 draft with Provorov instead of going with Zacha.  Still not giving up on Zacha anytime soon, but boy could we use a player like Provorov right now and pray that Santini and Severson work out.

I'm not saying it isn't frustrating or easy to watch.  Just don't confuse lack of talent with lack of passion...I think this Devils team is better than that.  The Ranger mercenary teams from that seven-year drought...THOSE teams really couldn't have cared less.   

As for NYE and being toast...hopefully the Devils can split the next six, then build from there.  Spitting those six would be a nice start towards salvaging their season.   

lol at Severson being the skater out of a hat pick in the shootout as the reason why Hynes is over his head.   There are plenty of valid reasons to get on him (the lack of passion from this team for much of the season, the overall regression, lineup decisions, the seeming lack of any cohesive system) without constantly harping over something that barely matters and probably had zero impact.

Edited by NJDevs4978

6 hours ago, redruM said:

So you actually think Hynes should be fired? Great idea lets hire & fire coaches every other year, because that's the way to build a team!

Build a team ?......When is that going to take shape ?   Its the front office that once again hasn't a clue how to build a winning team. 5 Players won't get you a cup and that's all about this team has.....5 good players .

Build a team ?......When is that going to take shape ?   Its the front office that once again hasn't a clue how to build a winning team. 5 Players won't get you a cup and that's all about this team has.....5 good players .

This isn't an overnight process. Building a winner takes time. I'm gonna guess you're too young to remember the Devils of the 80's and early 90's, which is why some of you act as if it's your personal birthright that the Devils be great every year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 1

19 minutes ago, hit the post said:

C'mon, this is a new regime that didn't exactly inherit a whole lot to start with.  They had to start by cleaning out some deadwood, then they're going to need some drafts and offseasons to build the team their way.  This current front office hasn't even had two years here yet.  Lou actually did inherit some decent talent to start with, and it took him several years to build a perennial contender (and the team kind of spun its wheels for a while under his watch before they really took off).  Sure, we'd all like it to happen a lot faster, but I can't penalize this front office for mistakes the last front office made.  Shero needs time.   

• Like 2

C'mon, this is a new regime that didn't exactly inherit a whole lot to start with.  They had to start by cleaning out some deadwood, then they're going to need some drafts and offseasons to build the team their way.  This current front office hasn't even had two years here yet.  Lou actually did inherit some decent talent to start with, and it took him several years to build a perennial contender (and the team kind of spun its wheels for a while under his watch before they really took off).  Sure, we'd all like it to happen a lot faster, but I can't penalize this front office for mistakes the last front office made.  Shero needs time.   

There was talk that McMullen was ready to fire Lou about 4 years into his tenure too.... This is why patience is so important. A majority of this fanbase doesn't deal well with patience though, since most of it wasn't around for the dark ages.

4 hours ago, MadDog2020 said:

This isn't an overnight process. Building a winner takes time. I'm gonna guess you're too young to remember the Devils of the 80's and early 90's, which is why some of you act as if it's your personal birthright that the Devils be great every year.

STH 1994----2003 sec 223 row 7. Boxes and Boxes of programs,playoff give away and great winning memories..........Yes I was spoiled by those mighty teams and a young Marty. But the rebuild isn't new at all. Kovy.skips out on us,Zach goes home and neither was replaced until this year with Hall,before you know it Green and Travis will retire.It can't be done at this slow pace. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, hit the post said:

STH 1994----2003 sec 223 row 7. Boxes and Boxes of programs,playoff give away and great winning memories..........Yes I was spoiled by those mighty teams and a young Marty. But the rebuild isn't new at all. Kovy.skips out on us,Zach goes home and neither was replaced until this year with Hall,before you know it Green and Travis will retire.It can't be done at this slow pace. 

It can be built through the draft, but we let Lou and Conte do whatever the fvck they wanted for so goddamn long it killed our assets.

We went from building from within and adding additional pieces to win, but now we dont even have a strong enough feeder system to count on a home grown core, nor the assets to acquire any more pieces.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, jagknife said:

It can be built through the draft, but we let Lou and Conte do whatever the fvck they wanted for so goddamn long it killed our assets.

We went from building from within and adding additional pieces to win, but now we dont even have a strong enough feeder system to count on a home grown core, nor the assets to acquire any more pieces.

I agree.....back then we had a great crop of young talent to bring up when needed. Now the only thing left at the farm are the sh!t filled stales of those who moved on. 2003 was a long time ago and  fvcking little to show since. As for 2012 there was no way we were beating the Kings. The highlight was beating the Rags,that was our cup win that year.

So lets give it another 5-6 years shall we.....Bvllsh!t

On 12/18/2016 at 10:31 PM, Triumph said:

Henrique is horrendous on shootouts, Wood misses a breakaway a night, and Palmieri isn't very good on them historically.  Is Severson the best choice?  I have no idea.  Nobody does.

Schneider is also horrendous on shootouts and that's the main problem.

Severson should not be taking shootout attempts before Zacha. Also if Josefson is playing he needs to be in the top 3. He wasn't that night.

4 minutes ago, '7' said:

Schneider is also horrendous on shootouts and that's the main problem.

Severson should not be taking shootout attempts before Zacha. Also if Josefson is playing he needs to be in the top 3. He wasn't that night.

Schneider is not horrendous on shootouts.

Obviously Josefson did not play.

3 minutes ago, Triumph said:

Schneider is not horrendous on shootouts.

Obviously Josefson did not play.

Ranked 48th in the NHL last season in shootout save percentage. Allowed a league high 11 shootout goals. Ranked 39th the year before, Ranked 58th the year before that and tied for 3rd most shootout goals allowed in the league.

He is a good goalie who is horrendous on shootouts.

14 minutes ago, Triumph said:

He's below average to be sure.  But he's not horrendous.  The biggest problem for the Devils in shootouts over the last 4 years has been scoring goals.

For what he is during the first 65 minutes, he needs to be at least average. His career rank in the shootout is unacceptable.

Both sides are to blame. The shootouts scoring performed at levels that will never be matched in NHL history for futility, but Schneider also put us down 0-1 far too often, and that's a tough psychological hurdle when you're in that kind of slump.

Edited by '7'
  • Like 1