2017 Training Camp thread

MadDog2020

So this is the remaining camp roster, they have 7 more cuts to make because probably Boyle and Zajac are going on IR to start the season

Forwards (19): Joseph Blandisi, Brian Boyle, Jesper Bratt, Blake Coleman, Brian Gibbons, Taylor Hall, Jimmy Hayes, Adam Henrique, Nico Hischier, Marcus Johansson, Nick Lappin, Michael McLeod, Stefan Noesen, Kyle Palmieri, John Quenneville, Drew Stafford, Miles Wood, Pavel Zacha, Travis Zajac

Defensemen (10): Will Butcher, Andy Greene, Viktor Loov, Ben Lovejoy, John Moore, Mirco Mueller, Dalton Prout, Steve Santini, Damon Severson, Brian Strait

Goalies (3): Ken Appleby, Keith Kinkaid, Cory Schneider

I see 4 obvious cuts with Gibbons, Lappin, Appleby, and Strait, and after that it looks like we're gonna have a few guys battling on Wednesday to not be among the final 3 cuts.

Edited by CommonDreads

11 minutes ago, CommonDreads said:

I actually think they kept Appleby for now so they can wait and see what happens with Wedge on waivers. If Wedge clears, then they know to send Appleby to Adirondack, if not then they'll send Appleby to Binghamton.

I think Wedge is suited better for NHL than he is for AHL, I will be sad if we lose him :(

So, no update for McLeod makes me think it's bad and he's getting a second opinion. Don't want to speculate but those non contact injuries are usually of the worst variety. Hopefully it's short term and he can go back to Mississauga and dominate the OHL and play a big role on the Canadian WJC team.

12 hours ago, EdgeControl said:

Butcher might get sent, but I'm not sure what they promised him to come here.  I like what I've seen from loov. An average nhl 3Rd pair defenseman like the rest of our D. Is he 6'-1" or 6'-3"  looks more the latter

I mean, Butcher couldn't have stupid enough not to look at the roster and realize there was the possibility that he might start in Albany.  Still, I don't think you make such a concerted effort to land someone like him, see him perform well -- but maybe not spectacularly -- in the preseason with the idea that he's spending an extended period of time in Albany. 

So, no update for McLeod makes me think it's bad and he's getting a second opinion. Don't want to speculate but those non contact injuries are usually of the worst variety. Hopefully it's short term and he can go back to Mississauga and dominate the OHL and play a big role on the Canadian WJC team.

I wouldn't be shocked at all if it's an ACL.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

34 minutes ago, MadDog2020 said:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yeah, although just based on memory and experience, ACL tears seem somewhat rare in hockey, especially compared to football and basketball. 

Here's a question, do we know of any relatively highly touted prospects that have had an injury like that around the time they were trying to break into the NHL from junior, and what kind of effect it has on their development?  Galchenyuk is the only one that sort of fits the bill, although he's not exactly what I had in mind.

50 minutes ago, MadDog2020 said:

Definitely sounds like some kind of tear, even if it's not an ACL. 

7 minutes ago, LittleBallofHate said:

FWIW, it doesn't sound serious, thankfully... 

Andrew Gross‏ Verified account @AGrossRecord More

#NJDevils coach John Hynes says team is hoping Michael McLeod (lower body) will be able to skate on his own on Thursday.

Nice, I would love to see him tear up the OHL for another year.  As great as he was down the stretch, it was only 1/2 of a season of dominance.    

39 minutes ago, LittleBallofHate said:

Amanda Stein ‏Verified account @amandacstein

#NJDevils - Michael McLeod on the ice for special teams practice.

:evil:

Our first round PK'er... lol.....  btw I saw blender laying out to block a shot from the point last game.. he wants to make this team badly.. gfy blandisi 

5 minutes ago, EdgeControl said:

Our first round PK'er... lol.....  btw I saw blender laying out to block a shot from the point last game.. he wants to make this team badly.. gfy blandisi 

That's a little harsh, no? The organization obviously thinks more of him than that, otherwise they wouldn't have drafted him. He's coming off a minor injury so they're easing him back into practice.

21 minutes ago, CommonDreads said:

That's a little harsh, no? The organization obviously thinks more of him than that, otherwise they wouldn't have drafted him. He's coming off a minor injury so they're easing him back into practice.

Of course it's harsh, that's why the lol is in there... but this is not easing him back in.. it's been this way the entire preseason.. he's been on the first PK team in every games he's skated.. I think Hynes is finding a way to justify him making the team

With McLeod's speed, if he has any stick awareness at all he should be on the penalty kill.  He might be a good offensive player 5 on 5 but might not be much good on the power play, and likewise I don't think the PK is the place to just dump your worst offensive forwards - I'd much rather see him on the PK.

• Like 2