What’s your max offer for Tavares

Daniel

On 6/8/2018 at 4:14 PM, MadDog2020 said:

I don’t think you’re off base here, but it wouldn’t shock me. Just wait until they pull out the ‘ol BRIGHT LIGHTS BRAH recruiting video, and Turtle from Entourage starts tweeting at him about THE WORLD’S MOST FAMOUS ARENA BRAH, BROADWAY BRAH, HUSTLE AND BUSTLE BRAH. You know how those dipsh!ts roll.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Everyone knows we got the bright lights, big city.

Woooo. 

27836119098_04d0a1391d_b.jpg

• Like 3

On 2018-06-08 at 5:14 PM, MadDog2020 said:

I don’t think you’re off base here, but it wouldn’t shock me. Just wait until they pull out the ‘ol BRIGHT LIGHTS BRAH recruiting video, and Turtle from Entourage starts tweeting at him about THE WORLD’S MOST FAMOUS ARENA BRAH, BROADWAY BRAH, HUSTLE AND BUSTLE BRAH. You know how those dipsh!ts roll.

to be totally fair tho you just do and use anything you can to attract players you want. If WE had those things going our way... i'm 110% sure we'd use them too and wouldn't make fun of it.

• Like 1

to be totally fair tho you just do and use anything you can to attract players you want. If WE had those things going our way... i'm 110% sure we'd use them too and wouldn't make fun of it.

I’m not here to be fair. fvck them.

• Like 5

On 6/10/2018 at 7:20 AM, SterioDesign said:

What he's making fun of isn't even that the Rangers trot out the bright lights of Broadway nonsense. Lots of teams have an equivalent sales speech, although obviously New York City is the largest city in the NHL. What he's making fun of is the stupid way Ranger fans talk. Hence the "Bright lights, brah!" "World's Most Famous Arena, brah!"

It's also the general certainty that Rangers fans have that it will work on every single UFA because for the most part that is how their team has operated every single off-season. It's almost a sense of "We deserve every free agent because we're the New York City team."

At the end of the day, Sterio, the vast majority of Devils fans (particularly ones who actually grew up in the Tri-State area) will exude seething hatred towards Rangers fans in a way that few other fans of other teams will understand. If you can't understand it because you're not from the area, it will save you needless arguing to stop bothering to psychoanalyze or debate it.

I'll explain in brief. We make fun of Rangers fans as a non-violent way of discharging anger built up from years of verbal harassment and abuse by them in our schools, places of business, arena, hockey rinks, etc. To be clear, Devils fans endured better than a full decade of derision during the 80s and really on up until the year 2000. Even when we won the Cup in 1995 it was termed "half a Cup" and the fact that we missed the playoffs the next year and lost to the Rangers in the playoffs the year after that was brutal. Then every first round exit was a source of derision even when the Rangers themselves weren't making the playoffs. Rangers fans don't need a successful team to be douchebags. They can miss the playoffs and still carry their superiority complex with them through it. Then this latest period of Devils basement-dwelling and the Rangers having their share of success has ripped open all the wounds that the early 2000s had mostly closed (although even during the early 2000s the Rangers fan line was "Is your team moving to Portland yet?"). In short, we have most of us endured our fair share of abuse.

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, NewarkDevil5 said:

What he's making fun of is the stupid way Ranger fans talk. Hence the "Bright lights, brah!" "World's Most Famous Arena, brah!"

I've literally never heard anyone say that, ever, other than on this message board. 

4 minutes ago, NewarkDevil5 said:

At the end of the day, Sterio, the vast majority of Devils fans (particularly ones who actually grew up in the Tri-State area) will exude seething hatred towards Rangers fans in a way that few other fans of other teams will understand. If you can't understand it because you're not from the area, it will save you needless arguing to stop bothering to psychoanalyze or debate it.

I'll explain in brief. We make fun of Rangers fans as a non-violent way of discharging anger built up from years of verbal harassment and abuse by them in our schools, places of business, arena, hockey rinks, etc. To be clear, Devils fans endured better than a full decade of derision during the 80s and really on up until the year 2000. Even when we won the Cup in 1995 it was termed "half a Cup" and the fact that we missed the playoffs the next year and lost to the Rangers in the playoffs the year after that was brutal. Then every first round exit was a source of derision even when the Rangers themselves weren't making the playoffs. Rangers fans don't need a successful team to be douchebags. They can miss the playoffs and still carry their superiority complex with them through it. Then this latest period of Devils basement-dwelling and the Rangers having their share of success has ripped open all the wounds that the early 2000s had mostly closed (although even during the early 2000s the Rangers fan line was "Is your team moving to Portland yet?"). In short, we have most of us endured our fair share of abuse.

Yup, if you aren't from here you will never understand. I was abused in high school EVERY DAY that I wore Devils stuff. Which was basically every day. Then, senior year, 1994, we all know what happened and I had to deal with that. 

The culture took a pretty big shift after 1995, 2000 and 2003, though much of that was also the fact that I had become an adult, gotten a job, etc.. Even still, I have a few Rangers fans among my friends (mostly husbands of my wife's friends, not people I chose lol), and they will still have comments here or there. But its funny, I didn't hear from any of them this year when the Rangers Shattenkirk'ed the bed and we made the playoffs...

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

I've literally never heard anyone say that, ever, other than on this message board. 

Y'know there were only a couple of them that I ever heard talk like that and it was literally only when they were talking about the Rangers, otherwise they spoke like normal NYC douchebags. I have no idea where it stems from.

1 minute ago, mfitz804 said:

Yup, if you aren't from here you will never understand. I was abused in high school EVERY DAY that I wore Devils stuff. Which was basically every day. Then, senior year, 1994, we all know what happened and I had to deal with that. 

The culture took a pretty big shift after 1995, 2000 and 2003, though much of that was also the fact that I had become an adult, gotten a job, etc.. Even still, I have a few Rangers fans among my friends (mostly husbands of my wife's friends, not people I chose lol), and they will still have comments here or there. But its funny, I didn't hear from any of them this year when the Rangers Shattenkirk'ed the bed and we made the playoffs...

My senior year in high school was literally the opposite experience yet similar at the same time. There were a few Rangers fans I went through junior high and high school with and there was some back and forth there, but then there was my senior year in high school – 2012. The Rangers were in 1st place in the East for a large majority of the season, and suddenly all of these "Rangers fans" came out of the wood work. Even people who previously called themselves Islanders fans, were suddenly die-hard Rags fans just because they're the big name New York team that was doing well. I'd hear it after every Rangers win, every Devils loss, and especially leading up to and after head to head matchups during that year, nonstop leading up to that matchup in the Conference Finals.

After Henrique scored to send us to the Cup final, it all stopped. All of those fvckers shut the fvck up, because I won, there was nothing anyone could say that wouldn't change the fact the Devils got one over the Rangers to go to the Cup Final, and it felt so good to just let all those bandwagoners sit in that fact.

Fvck the Rangers and especially fvck New York sports, the bandwagon culture that this state and city has is one of my most hated things in all of sports.

• Like 3

Well I think we can all agree on that. 

No doubt. But I think if you’re a fan from outside the area and have never lived here, there are certain dynamics of the rivalry that you aren’t going to be able to relate to.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, MadDog2020 said:

No doubt. But I think if you’re a fan from outside the area and have never lived here, there are certain dynamics of the rivalry that you aren’t going to be able to relate to. 

Right. Getting yelled at in the arena is one thing, but if you are from elsewhere you don’t see how it carries over to the outside world.

• Like 4

I heard the bright lights, broadway BS a lot from Rags fans I know after Gomez left and MSG did either a "Beginnings" episode, or a lengthy interview with him where he waxed poetic about the allure of playing for the Rags, and how it was always special playing in that toilet, even as the visitor.  That was usually followed by the "at least we sell out our building" heckle.  Oh, and they constantly would talk about how the Devils system stifled Gomez, and he was guaranteed to score 100 points per season now that he didn't have to play the trap anymore.  They literally are some of the dumbest people I know when it comes to talking hockey. 

• Like 3

fvck the Rangers:

Games involving New Jersey and NY Rangers beginning with the 1995 season ending with the 2003-04 season (New Jersey at home):

1995 season: Thu Feb 9 1995 at NJ New Jersey 4, NY Rangers 1        
1995 season: Sun Apr 9 1995 at NJ New Jersey 2, NY Rangers 0        
1995-96 season: Sat Feb 10 1996 at NJ New Jersey 3, NY Rangers 0        
1995-96 season: Sun Apr 7 1996 at NJ New Jersey 4, NY Rangers 2        
1996-97 season: Wed Oct 30 1996 at NJ NY Rangers 6, New Jersey 1        
1996-97 season: Wed Feb 19 1997 at NJ New Jersey 1, NY Rangers 1 (tie)      
1996-97 season: Thu Mar 27 1997 at NJ New Jersey 4, NY Rangers 0        
1996-97 season: Fri May 2 1997 at NJ New Jersey 2, NY Rangers 0   EsmiG1 NJ 1-0  
1996-97 season: Sun May 4 1997 at NJ NY Rangers 2, New Jersey 0   EsmiG2 tie 1-1  
1996-97 season: Sun May 11 1997 at NJ NY Rangers 2, New Jersey 1 (OT) EsmiG5 NYR 4-1  
1997-98 season: Tue Dec 16 1997 at NJ New Jersey 4, NY Rangers 3        
1997-98 season: Wed Jan 14 1998 at NJ New Jersey 4, NY Rangers 1        
1997-98 season: Sat Mar 7 1998 at NJ New Jersey 6, NY Rangers 3        
1998-99 season: Tue Nov 3 1998 at NJ New Jersey 3, NY Rangers 1        
1998-99 season: Wed Dec 16 1998 at NJ New Jersey 6, NY Rangers 3        
1998-99 season: Sun Apr 4 1999 at NJ New Jersey 4, NY Rangers 1        
1999-00 season: Wed Dec 1 1999 at NJ New Jersey 3, NY Rangers 2        
1999-00 season: Wed Feb 9 2000 at NJ New Jersey 4, NY Rangers 1        
2000-01 season: Wed Nov 29 2000 at NJ New Jersey 5, NY Rangers 2        
2000-01 season: Wed Mar 21 2001 at NJ New Jersey 4, NY Rangers 0        
2000-01 season: Sat Mar 31 2001 at NJ NY Rangers 4, New Jersey 3        
2001-02 season: Thu Jan 17 2002 at NJ New Jersey 6, NY Rangers 4        
2001-02 season: Sat Mar 16 2002 at NJ New Jersey 3, NY Rangers 1        
2002-03 season: Thu Nov 21 2002 at NJ New Jersey 4, NY Rangers 4 (tie)      
2002-03 season: Tue Feb 25 2003 at NJ New Jersey 3, NY Rangers 3 (tie)      
2002-03 season: Sat Mar 15 2003 at NJ New Jersey 3, NY Rangers 1        
2003-04 season: Sat Nov 15 2003 at NJ New Jersey 5, NY Rangers 0        
2003-04 season: Wed Feb 11 2004 at NJ NY Rangers 3, New Jersey 1        
2003-04 season: Tue Mar 30 2004 at NJ New Jersey 5, NY Rangers 0        

Primary team New Jersey: 21-5-3 in these games.
Goals for New Jersey: 98
Goals against New Jersey: 51

(On a side note, I thought it was a little more convincing, something like 33-2-2 at home against them...maybe I got the date range wrong, but still.  That's a nice level of dominance against them.  fvck them)
  • Like 2

That is basically "Fvck the Rangers" in stat form. I like memes. 

28867401048_6d9f26eab2_b.jpg

5 minutes ago, Kinkyisth3b3st said:

I'm so confused at what we're supposed to take away from this.

"I think JT should sign with the Devils because of their superior record in games held at the Continental Airlines Arena between the dates of February 1995 and March 2004"

I think the only thing you are supposed to take away from it is "fvck the Rangers". 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, mfitz804 said:

I think that line originated around the time of the Stadium Series game.  There was a spot where a TV news crew were asking people who should win the game and naturally since the news crew was from NY and interviewing NY people, a large chunk said NY.  When asked why, among them were these teenagers who basically said something like "bright lights brah!" or "We're new york brah!" or something along those lines.

This is what I remember, but I could be wrong.

1 hour ago, DevsMan84 said:

I think that line originated around the time of the Stadium Series game.  There was a spot where a TV news crew were asking people who should win the game and naturally since the news crew was from NY and interviewing NY people, a large chunk said NY.  When asked why, among them were these teenagers who basically said something like "bright lights brah!" or "We're new york brah!" or something along those lines.

This is what I remember, but I could be wrong.

I’ve heard plenty of idiots all around the country with that Brah sh!t. That’s not a Rangers thing. 

9 hours ago, MadDog2020 said:

It has to be fvcked up for you guys living right next to your most hated rivals. I can’t imagine having to be that close to the Steelers as a Bengals fan. I hate the Rags enough just from the few series against them since I’ve been following the Devils, especially the Sean Avery/Brodeur bs. Having to live next to (and even among) their fans must be super annoying. 

7 minutes ago, Nicomo said:

It has to be fvcked up for you guys living right next to your most hated rivals. I can’t imagine having to be that close to the Steelers as a Bengals fan. I hate the Rags enough just from the few series against them since I’ve been following the Devils, especially the Sean Avery/Brodeur bs. Having to live next to (and even among) their fans must be super annoying. 

At least you have other fans on your side. When you live on the outside you're like 1 against thousands.

25 minutes ago, SterioDesign said:

At least you have other fans on your side. When you live on the outside you're like 1 against thousands.

I guess you’re mostly surrounded by Habs fans? Unfortunately, hardly anyone even gives a sh!t about hockey where I live. There’s a smattering of Blue Jackets fans, but that’s about it. I certainly don’t ever get sh!t when I’m wearing Devils stuff. 

15 hours ago, Kinkyisth3b3st said:

I'm so confused at what we're supposed to take away from this.

"I think JT should sign with the Devils because of their superior record in games held at the Continental Airlines Arena between the dates of February 1995 and March 2004"

No... the conversation (as I read it quickly) seemed to change from "What is your max offer for Tavares" to "Why would anyone want to play for NYR, and we hate them because they act superior and douchey", so I merely wanted to share our record against them during the time when a lot of that douchey-ness and pompous attitude began. 

15 hours ago, mfitz804 said:

I think the only thing you are supposed to take away from it is "fvck the Rangers". 

Thank you.

NEW JERSEY DEVILS

If we could commandeer Tavares’ brain and make his choice for him, I dare someone to find a better fit for him than the Devils. They’re an up-and-coming franchise with a promising pivot to build around already in Nico Hischier. They have what may soon be the reigning league MVP in Taylor Hall, who just happens to be a left winger and would be an awfully nice linemate for Tavares. Hall carried the Devils to the playoffs, with his 93 points besting his closest teammate by 41, so imagine what he could do working with Tavares. The Devils would become an instant Cup contender. They also have more help on the way in years to come, having sent more players than any other team to the 2018 World Junior Championship.

The Devils are also swimming in cap space – between $23 million and $27 million, depending on what the yet-to-be-established league number is for 2018-19. They could re-sign their desired free agents, from UFA Patrick Maroon to RFAs Miles Wood and Blake Coleman, and still have more than enough room to accommodate Tavares. Better yet, on a personal level, Tavares might not have to uproot his life moving from the Islanders to Devils. He’d still enjoy all the geographical benefits of playing in New York.

The wrench in the works would be a recent conversation I had with Devils GM Ray Shero, in which he expressed that free agency was not the best way to build a team and challenged me to name one legitimately outstanding free agent signing in the salary-cap era aside from Zdeno Chara. Will Shero’s skepticism keep him from bidding? Or will he see potential for Tavares to make a Chara-like impact? http://www.thehockeynews.com/news/article/top-five-destinations-for-john-tavares

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, MadDog2020 said:

NEW JERSEY DEVILS

If we could commandeer Tavares’ brain and make his choice for him, I dare someone to find a better fit for him than the Devils. They’re an up-and-coming franchise with a promising pivot to build around already in Nico Hischier. They have what may soon be the reigning league MVP in Taylor Hall, who just happens to be a left winger and would be an awfully nice linemate for Tavares. Hall carried the Devils to the playoffs, with his 93 points besting his closest teammate by 41, so imagine what he could do working with Tavares. The Devils would become an instant Cup contender. They also have more help on the way in years to come, having sent more players than any other team to the 2018 World Junior Championship.

The Devils are also swimming in cap space – between $23 million and $27 million, depending on what the yet-to-be-established league number is for 2018-19. They could re-sign their desired free agents, from UFA Patrick Maroon to RFAs Miles Wood and Blake Coleman, and still have more than enough room to accommodate Tavares. Better yet, on a personal level, Tavares might not have to uproot his life moving from the Islanders to Devils. He’d still enjoy all the geographical benefits of playing in New York.

The wrench in the works would be a recent conversation I had with Devils GM Ray Shero, in which he expressed that free agency was not the best way to build a team and challenged me to name one legitimately outstanding free agent signing in the salary-cap era aside from Zdeno Chara. Will Shero’s skepticism keep him from bidding? Or will he see potential for Tavares to make a Chara-like impact? http://www.thehockeynews.com/news/article/top-five-destinations-for-john-tavares

I agree with a lot of what is said in that article.  We can at least make an attractive pitch to him.  However, there is no way Tavares will still live on LI and commute to Newark everyday if he signs here.  You have to seriously love sitting in traffic or hate having free time to do that to yourself. 

• Like 2

I agree with a lot of what is said in that article.  We can at least make an attractive pitch to him.  However, there is no way Tavares will still live on LI and commute to Newark everyday if he signs here.  You have to seriously love sitting in traffic or hate having free time to do that to yourself. 

Yeah he just wouldn’t have to move far, and he’d still be in an area he’s familiar with.

9 minutes ago, Chuck the Duck said:

Agreed. Living in LI and commuting anywhere off LI is stupid.