What’s your max offer for Tavares

Daniel

5 hours ago, mfitz804 said:

Agreed. Living in LI and commuting anywhere off LI is stupid. 

5 hours ago, Chuck the Duck said:

I agree with a lot of what is said in that article.  We can at least make an attractive pitch to him.  However, there is no way Tavares will still live on LI and commute to Newark everyday if he signs here.  You have to seriously love sitting in traffic or hate having free time to do that to yourself. 

Harris can just lend him his helicopter. 

• Like 3

On 6/11/2018 at 4:19 PM, Kinkyisth3b3st said:

I'm so confused at what we're supposed to take away from this.

"I think JT should sign with the Devils because of their superior record in games held at the Continental Airlines Arena between the dates of February 1995 and March 2004"

that's what I got from it.

I like to think Shero’s comments about free agency is a negotiation tactic. If Shero comes out gaga over Tavares publically, it drives the price up. Combining that logic with what he said, it’s an attempt to drive the price down. Some art of war sh!t. When interested, appear not. 

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Devils Pride 26 said:

I like to think Shero’s comments about free agency is a negotiation tactic. If Shero comes out gaga over Tavares publically, it drives the price up. Combining that logic with what he said, it’s an attempt to drive the price down. Some art of war sh!t. When interested, appear not. 

I agree.  Plus, didn't he offer a boatload to Shattenkirk?

Thank God he didn't sign here

• Like 2

This article from the Hockey News sites us at the best destination for Tavares outside of the Islanders

http://www.thehockeynews.com/news/article/top-five-destinations-for-john-tavares

If we could commandeer Tavares’ brain and make his choice for him, I dare someone to find a better fit for him than the Devils. They’re an up-and-coming franchise with a promising pivot to build around already in Nico Hischier. They have what may soon be the reigning league MVP in Taylor Hall, who just happens to be a left winger and would be an awfully nice linemate for Tavares. Hall carried the Devils to the playoffs, with his 93 points besting his closest teammate by 41, so imagine what he could do working with Tavares. The Devils would become an instant Cup contender. They also have more help on the way in years to come, having sent more players than any other team to the 2018 World Junior Championship.

Edited by CommonDreads
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, NJDfan1711 said:

How much do billboard ads cost?  We should all pitch in and rent one until July 1st - put up a picture of him in a Devils jersey with bullet points on why he should come. 

Only if my man Mike Brown does the bullets. That’s his domain. 

• Like 3

3 hours ago, thecoffeecake said:

I'll give him every pair of shoes I have to sign anywhere else.

I don’t know what’s weirder, thinking your used shoes can be used as some sort of bargaining chip, or that you don’t want Tavares in a Devils jersey. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Nicomo said:

I don’t know what’s weirder, thinking your used shoes can be used as some sort of bargaining chip, or that you don’t want Tavares in a Devils jersey. 

I’m sure Tavares doesn’t want to spend like $1,000 from his $80m+ upcoming contract on shoes when he can just get some secondhand ones for free. 

It’s little known that his middle initial is S, for “Savings”.

Assuming they are the same size. We should find out his size before we propose this. 

• Haha 1

On 6/12/2018 at 1:33 PM, MadDog2020 said:

NEW JERSEY DEVILS

If we could commandeer Tavares’ brain and make his choice for him, I dare someone to find a better fit for him than the Devils. They’re an up-and-coming franchise with a promising pivot to build around already in Nico Hischier. They have what may soon be the reigning league MVP in Taylor Hall, who just happens to be a left winger and would be an awfully nice linemate for Tavares. Hall carried the Devils to the playoffs, with his 93 points besting his closest teammate by 41, so imagine what he could do working with Tavares. The Devils would become an instant Cup contender. They also have more help on the way in years to come, having sent more players than any other team to the 2018 World Junior Championship.

The Devils are also swimming in cap space – between $23 million and $27 million, depending on what the yet-to-be-established league number is for 2018-19. They could re-sign their desired free agents, from UFA Patrick Maroon to RFAs Miles Wood and Blake Coleman, and still have more than enough room to accommodate Tavares. Better yet, on a personal level, Tavares might not have to uproot his life moving from the Islanders to Devils. He’d still enjoy all the geographical benefits of playing in New York.

The wrench in the works would be a recent conversation I had with Devils GM Ray Shero, in which he expressed that free agency was not the best way to build a team and challenged me to name one legitimately outstanding free agent signing in the salary-cap era aside from Zdeno Chara. Will Shero’s skepticism keep him from bidding? Or will he see potential for Tavares to make a Chara-like impact? http://www.thehockeynews.com/news/article/top-five-destinations-for-john-tavares

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Image result for salute gif

I still think he re-ups with the Islanders when all is said and done, but.. getting a little hype as we get closer to 7/2 and he's still unsigned.

Edited by Devilsfan118
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Devilsfan118 said:

I still think he re-ups with the Islanders when all is said and done, but.. getting a little hype as we get closer to 7/2 and he's still unsigned.

OK, that animated meme is scaring me.

JT has said that he wants to stay, and yeah, I still think that's the most likely scenario (though I can't defend as the smartest), but every day that he's still unsigned makes me wonder just a little bit more.

We keep saying that it would make a ton of sense for him to come here, and there's definitely reasons for hope for the future (I think the Devils make the playoffs again next season), but there's questions on D and in goal (as much as I've defended Cory for much of his time here, the last two seasons have been very uneven overall, and Blackwood is starting to smell like a bust.  Was KK's big run just an isolated event?  Can he ever step up like that again if needed?).  If I'm JT, I have some concerns about coming to the Devils. 

10 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

OK, that animated meme is scaring me. 

Seriously.  I thought I was the only one.  I'm pretty sure I actually remember seeing it live (wasn't that during a recent NFL game a year or two ago?).  It's disturbing though lol.

Also, way to be a wet blanket CR. :P

Edited by NJDfan1711

Just now, NJDfan1711 said:

Seriously.  I thought I was the only one.  I'm pretty sure I actually remember seeing it live (wasn't that during a recent NFL game a year or two ago?).  It's disturbing though lol.

Also, way to be a wet blanket CR. ;)

I do think Ray could do a hell of a job selling JT on coming here...it's not like this stopped being a work in progress with a playoff appearance.  And it's not like high-priced FAs always pick that seemingly fully ready-to-win-just-need-one-last-piece team to play for.  So I'm kinda-sorta optimistic that if JT does actually get to UFA, that the Devils will a decent chance to land him.

Just for fun, I thought of this.  Sign Tavares.  Trade Zacha and 17OA or Miles Wood and maybe stuff you can live without (Bastian, Quenneville, Speers) for Noah Hanifin and perhaps a second round pick.

Hall  Tavares Bratt
Mojo Nico Palmieri
Coleman Zajac Noesen
Maroon Boyle Anderson/McLeod
[Maybe Wood is in here, depending on whether he gets traded or 17OA]

Hanifin Vatanen
Greene Severson
Mueller Butcher
Lovejoy/Santini

Cory
KK

That's a pretty good team.

Edited by Daniel

8 minutes ago, Daniel said:

Just for fun, I thought of this.  Sign Tavares.  Trade Zacha and 17OA or Miles Wood and maybe stuff you can live without (Bastian, Quenneville, Speers) for Noah Hanifin and perhaps a second round pick.

Hall  Tavares Bratt
Mojo Nico Palmieri
Coleman Zajac Noesen
Maroon Boyle Anderson/McLeod
[Maybe Wood is in here, depending on whether he gets traded or 17OA]

Hanifin Vatanen
Greene Severson
Mueller Butcher
Lovejoy/Santini

Cory
KK

That's a pretty good team.

sign me up for that. 

Yeah, that ain't bad. I like the idea of Bratt on the Hall-Tavares line, although I don't think we've seen enough/he's old enough yet, but I wonder if he is one of those players who will only thrive if they are playing with great players. 

Not a fan of Maroon and Boyle on the same line, slow plus slow equals REALLY slow. But I don't think there's another choice, unless you do Coleman-Boyle-Noesen 4th, and Maroon-Zajac-Anderson/McLeod 3rd. 

1 minute ago, mfitz804 said:

Yeah, that ain't bad. I like the idea of Bratt on the Hall-Tavares line, although I don't think we've seen enough/he's old enough yet, but I wonder if he is one of those players who will only thrive if they are playing with great players. 

Not a fan of Maroon and Boyle on the same line, slow plus slow equals REALLY slow. But I don't think there's another choice, unless you do Coleman-Boyle-Noesen 4th, and Maroon-Zajac-Anderson/McLeod 3rd. 

Yeah, I'm not totally sold on Bratt being a first liner, but it worked for much of the year.  But anyone should thrive on a line with Hall and Tavares

I couldn't think of another left wing to fill out the bottom line on the assumption that Wood might be part of a deal for Hanifin.  It shouldn't be that hard to find someone competent to do it.

I'll note that right now one of the forgotten men in free agency seems to be Rick Nash.  If he doesn't want to go back the Rangers just because, he's probably a much better option than Maroon.  He can supposedly play both wings, although I don't know how thrilled he'd be to be slotted in on a fourth line.  I can't imagine anyone giving him more than a three year deal at anything more than $3.5 million a year.

I’m not done with Miles Wood yet either, I think he brings some good stuff to the table. All he needs is more discipline and he’s be a solid 3rd/4th liner for years to come. 

11 minutes ago, Daniel said:

I'll note that right now one of the forgotten men in free agency seems to be Rick Nash.  If he doesn't want to go back the Rangers just because, he's probably a much better option than Maroon.  He can supposedly play both wings, although I don't know how thrilled he'd be to be slotted in on a fourth line.  I can't imagine anyone giving him more than a three year deal at anything more than $3.5 million a year.

I might give him a whirl at 2yrs/$7m. I’m leery of a third year. 

13 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

I’m not done with Miles Wood yet either, I think he brings some good stuff to the table. All he needs is more discipline and he’s be a solid 3rd/4th liner for years to come. 

I might give [Nash] a whirl at 2yrs/$7m. I’m leery of a third year. 

I'd go more one year/$3.5 - 4.5 mil if I was interested (I can't say that I am).  He's missed a total of 48 regular season games the last three seasons, and he managed just 108 points (59 goals, 49 assists) in the 198 regular season games that he did play.  He wasn't much better in the playoffs...8 goals and 6 assists in 29 playoff games.  Of course depending on what he's being asked to do, the Nash that he is now might be a fit somewhere...just leery of bringing in aging and fading stars, even on the cheap.  He's also an "old" almost 34 years old...his NHL career started very early (started as an 18-year-old). 

Is it true that if the Caps and Carlson don't bang out an 11th hour deal that the Devils are in on Carlson too.

That is just nuts.

I don't wanna get my hopes up though.

This would be a million times better than what Minnesota did a few years with Suter and Parise.