2018 UFA Thread

Derlique

15 minutes ago, Derlique said:

I'd bet something like 6x6, but I can see him getting upwards to 7 million aav

I would agree on that. At age 29, I would prefer not to give him the 7th year. But as we know, sometimes you must to get the deal done. 

2 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

I would agree on that. At age 29, I would prefer not to give him the 7th year. But as we know, sometimes you must to get the deal done. 

6 years takes us through his 29-34 year old years. I'd rather do something like 5 years x 7 million, but I don't know if he takes that

JVR seems like a bad contract waiting to happen...a guaranteed UFA overpayment (and I get that guys like JVR are almost guaranteed to get overpaid by someone).  He's a UFA at the right time in that one of the teams that strikes out on JT will likely throw a good chunk of what would've been JT's money at JVR.  I wouldn't want to go more than four years myself at maybe $6-6.5 million per, but he'll probably get 5+ and more $$$ somewhere else. 

As long as people realize that he's a 50-60 point guy who isn't going to magically become a 70+ point guy because he's getting a nice raise, whatever fan base sees its team land him shouldn't be too disappointed over the next 2-3 years.  He's averaged about 30 G and 28 A per 82 GP over the past five seasons...great when you're making $5-6 million, not so much at $7 million plus (and down years become that much tougher to take).

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976
  • Like 5

He'll want as many years as he can get. I doubt he takes a deal for 5 years. I'd be shocked beyond belief if he signs a 4 year deal, but i guess if he did, and he's 33, he could probably get another 5 year deal at the end. 

I'd be more inclined to think he would take less dollars at more years. Get someone to overpay when he's in the decline. That's what usually happens. 

19 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

He'll want as many years as he can get. I doubt he takes a deal for 5 years. I'd be shocked beyond belief if he signs a 4 year deal, but i guess if he did, and he's 33, he could probably get another 5 year deal at the end. 

I'd be more inclined to think he would take less dollars at more years. Get someone to overpay when he's in the decline. That's what usually happens. 

I think Derlique is in the ballpark...6 years at $6.5 mil ($39 million) per probably gets it done.  5 years at $7 mil per (or maybe low $7s) might get it done too.  If he was ever willing to sign for 4 at say $7-7.5 mil per, he'd be betting on himself that he could score one more nice deal for himself...maybe Cammalleri/Rolston money (4 or 5 years at $5 million per).  At any rate, I think you gotta feel REALLY good about JVR to sign him to a deal worth $30-$40 million over 4-6 years. 

55 minutes ago, Derlique said:

The 35+ rule only applies when they sign the contract, not when the contract runs through 

Yeah so I'm saying that scenario 1 is he signs for 6yrs through 35.  Then his next one would have to be a 35+ contract that isn't aaaas favorable to the team he's signing with, so it's 1 or 2yrs.. something short.

Scenario 2 is he signs 5yrs now through 34.  Then his next one signs at 34 for a relatively longer term than a 35+, as it's easier for the team to get out of.

I mean, I suppose it's just semantics and he'll take what he can get.

14 minutes ago, Kinkyisth3b3st said:

I would give him 7/45 and I wouldn't think twice. By the time that contract is "ugly" the cap will have gone up significantly. I can't explain this more clearly: we are fvcking loaded with cap space and completely devoid of a single "terrible" contract. Clowe's cap hit is gone. Savard's cap hit is gone (bet half of you forgot we were paying him). Greene's contract is off the books the summer of Hall. 

Cap space is not an issue with this team. Cap space will not be an issue for this team for a long time. Overpaying a guy like JVR for 1 extra year and a few extra million dollars does absolutely nothing to this team. That's the benefit of being so fvcking bad for so fvcking long; we're finally young. Young means cheap. We're about to enter that pivotal window of "young, cheap, and talented" and a guy like JVR puts us solidly into "contender" category. 

I pray to every god in heaven that we get JVR. 

I'm convinced. I'll have to learn how to spell "van Riemsdyk" without googling it, though. 

I just listened to the All Access podcast where they spoke with Ray Shero after the season ended... I'm not convinced he's going to be hitting the UFA market hard. And I'm not getting my hopes up on JVR (not that I want a NYR fan, drafted by Philly, 2 layers of yuck). :lol:  Expect the unexpected with Ray... probably a trade more so than hitting the UFA market? I'm sure no matter what people will be upset... some were frothing mad last summer on July 2 (pre-MoJo).  

1 hour ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

I think Derlique is in the ballpark...6 years at $6.5 mil ($39 million) per probably gets it done.  5 years at $7 mil per (or maybe low $7s) might get it done too.  If he was ever willing to sign for 4 at say $7-7.5 mil per, he'd be betting on himself that he could score one more nice deal for himself...maybe Cammalleri/Rolston money (4 or 5 years at $5 million per).  At any rate, I think you gotta feel REALLY good about JVR to sign him to a deal worth $30-$40 million over 4-6 years. 

Man hard, hard pass at these values.  You're probably spot on.

Free agency fvcking blows, it's insanity.

1 hour ago, Kinkyisth3b3st said:

I would give him 7/45 and I wouldn't think twice. By the time that contract is "ugly" the cap will have gone up significantly. I can't explain this more clearly: we are fvcking loaded with cap space and completely devoid of a single "terrible" contract. Clowe's cap hit is gone. Savard's cap hit is gone (bet half of you forgot we were paying him). Greene's contract is off the books the summer of Hall. 

Cap space is not an issue with this team. Cap space will not be an issue for this team for a long time. Overpaying a guy like JVR for 1 extra year and a few extra million dollars does absolutely nothing to this team. That's the benefit of being so fvcking bad for so fvcking long; we're finally young. Young means cheap. We're about to enter that pivotal window of "young, cheap, and talented" and a guy like JVR puts us solidly into "contender" category. 

I pray to every god in heaven that we get JVR. 

And after reading some more in the thread.. you've made me feel a little better about the potential deal.

We do have an absurd amount of cap space.

I’m a fan of not forever sitting on cap space and I like guys that can score goals, but something I don’t like about JVR.  Guess it has something to do with when he can’t score 25-30 goals anymore, you’ll have a problem on your hands.

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, Daniel said:

I’m a fan of not forever sitting on cap space and I like guys that can score goals, but something I don’t like about JVR.  Guess it has something to do with when he can’t score 25-30 goals anymore, you’ll have a problem on your hands.

Is that not true of...all players who score 25-30 goals?

• Haha 2

24 minutes ago, CarpathianForest said:

I'm wondering if Shero is waiting to see who lands Tavares so he can pilfer them like last year with Johannsen?

Of all the teams he met with, it’s really only Tampa that would need to clear out salary.

1 hour ago, Daniel said:

Some of those guys can do other things like play well defensively or still tally up assists, or “drive play” whatever that means.

He can still be a pain in the ass in front of the net, if we can’t keep Maroon (fvcking St Louis) might not be a bad pull.

I may be in the minority but I want zero part of Perron. Especially with him coming off a career year. I honestly don’t trust him to keep playing the way he did