2018-19 Around the League Thread

jagknife

14 hours ago, titans04 said:

Dano's voice is a combination of Jessie Ventura and Macho Man. So he knows a little about wrestling. Hopefully he moves onto call that stuff.

Dano would actually be an awesome commentator for professional wrestling, especially with Mean Gene's recent passing. I say start a petition. 

5 minutes ago, Devilsfan118 said:

Duchene to the Jackets.  Wow.

So.. are they not going to trade Panarin and/or Bob and gear up for a playoff run instead?

I've seen some reports saying they might be buyers and sellers. Surely they have to trade Panarin if they think he'll walk for free in the summer.

Sounds like they're likely to keep Panarin and Bobrovsky and just let it all ride on this year. Gotta respect a team like Columbus pushing their chips in and going for it, but wow they're gonna be set quite a ways back if they don't win and they lose Panarin, Bobrovsky, and *maybe* Duchene for nothing. I have a feeling they'll be able to keep Duchene though, just a hunch

1 minute ago, Satans Hockey said:

There's a decent chance that Columbus won't even make the playoffs. This is an overpayment as it is but boy if they miss the playoffs, and lose all 3 of them to ufa then it's a disaster and I'd be pissed if I was a Columbus fan. 

That would be hysterical. I can't imagine they allow that to happen. Not all three of them. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Satans Hockey said:

There's a decent chance that Columbus won't even make the playoffs. This is an overpayment as it is but boy if they miss the playoffs, and lose all 3 of them to ufa then it's a disaster and I'd be pissed if I was a Columbus fan. 

It is kind of crazy them going after a big fish like Duchene when they are right on the playoff cut line. 

I think they have tried to sign Bob and Panarin and can't so are saying fvck it we'll go for it this year because they are going to have to rebuild again next year anyway. 

Just now, Kinkyisth3b3st said:

Of all the seasons to 'go for broke', you're doing it when there's a historically good team in your conference and you're a fringe playoff team?

I mean... alright.

Yup, I agree this move makes no sense for them. But that's fine, because fvck them. 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Antiquated Colorado Rockie said:

It is kind of crazy them going after a big fish like Duchene when they are right on the playoff cut line. 

I think they have tried to sign Bob and Panarin and can't so are saying fvck it we'll go for it this year because they are going to have to rebuild again next year anyway. 

Giving up that 1st round pick sure isn't going to help. Even if they make the playoffs, which they probably will I don't see them getting far anyway. I really wouldn't be happy if I was a Columbus fan but I'm not so fvck em lol

4 minutes ago, Kinkyisth3b3st said:

Bob and Panarin have been rumored to both want out. And if you're Duchene, you've been on dogsh!t rebuilding teams in dogsh!t markets for a few years... you're not signing up to join that again. 

I'm not saying you don't get rid of Bob and Panarin, you just don't allow it to happen for free so you can lose in the first round. 

Duchene is a rental and if he goes for nothing, that's how that works. You expect he may be gone. But you can't let the other two walk for free. Especially not where, especially in Panarin's case, you can definitely move them to a real contender for some assets. 

Edited by mfitz804

7 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

I'm not saying you don't get rid of Bob and Panarin, you just don't allow it to happen for free so you can lose in the first round. 

Duchene is a rental and if he goes for nothing, that's how that works. You expect he may be gone. But you can't let the other two walk for free. Especially not where, especially in Panarin's case, you can definitely move them to a real contender for some assets. 

It almost feels like they're saying "Well we know we're fvcked beyond this year no matter what, so might as treat the 2018-19 season as though it's our last."  Problem is this deal still doesn't come close enough to narrowing the gap between them and Tampa and others.   

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

It almost feels like they're saying "Well we know we're fvcked beyond this year no matter what, so might as treat the 2018-19 season as though it's our last."  Problem is this deal still doesn't come close enough to narrowing the gap between them and Tampa and others.   

All they need is to make the playoffs. Then anything can happen. Who the hell cares if this doesn't narrow the gap between them and Tampa? What has Tampa won with that godly roster come playoffs? Nada. Nothing to show for it. Just make the playoffs and anything can happen.

9 minutes ago, CarterforPresident said:

All they need is to make the playoffs. Then anything can happen. Who the hell cares if this doesn't narrow the gap between them and Tampa? What has Tampa won with that godly roster come playoffs? Nada. Nothing to show for it. Just make the playoffs and anything can happen.

Even if you lose in the first round and you fvck your franchise for years to come?

3 minutes ago, Kinkyisth3b3st said:

Uh, I completely and totally disagree. They're putting all of their eggs in a single basket, and that basket isn't top-5 in the East. Of course anything can happen, look at the 2012 Finals... 8 seed has one of the most dominant runs to the Cup in the modern NHL. 

But that's an outlier shouldn't be counted on. I thought they should be sellers at the deadline; since Panarin and Bob want out -- trade them, gain assets, tear it down and try again. 

Panarin and Bob aren't going anywhere now. The picture seems clear. They gave up 1 pick to many. The prospects are nothing to think about. They may very well lose Panarin later on, that'll be on them.  My point is Tampa has nothing to show for dominating the regular season them and SJ do it every year and fizzle when it matters.

If CBJ can do it great, if not, then yeah this will suck. Especially since they aren't even in a playoff spot.