Devils 2018-2019 news and notes thread

MadDog2020

2 minutes ago, NJDfan1711 said:

Good.  About time we get to see more of those guys while the season is winding down and there's nothing at stake.  I don't even really like Seney at this point, guy seems to take too many penalties.

His last game was terrible for that exact reason. Not that I would say to get rid of him for that reason, but in a season where our biggest accomplishment will be getting a 2022 5th for KK, let's rotate some other guys through and see how they respond. 

Just now, mfitz804 said:

His last game was terrible for that exact reason. Not that I would say to get rid of him for that reason, but in a season where our biggest accomplishment will be getting a 2022 5th for KK, let's rotate some other guys through and see how they respond. 

1,000%.  I think he took two on Saturday against the Rags, and I am pretty sure he's had a few other bad penalties earlier in the season too.  McLeod in particular deserves more than the 5 minutes he got in the lone game he played in.

21 minutes ago, NJDfan1711 said:

1,000%.  I think he took two on Saturday against the Rags, and I am pretty sure he's had a few other bad penalties earlier in the season too.  McLeod in particular deserves more than the 5 minutes he got in the lone game he played in.

McLeod deserves a look because of how well he's played in the AHL. There's no telling whether he'll be good or bad in the NHL, but this would be the time to try to find that out. 

37 minutes ago, jagknife said:

great, called back up to be scratched, I’m sure

If they called him up and he doesn't play tonight, I'm gonna flip.   Yakolev is a fine enough defenseman and still young enough where he could easily be on this team for the next 4-5 years, provided it's at the right price.  And when all of the guys are healthy, he doesn't even have to garner top 4 minutes when we have Vatanen, Severson, Butcher, and Smith.  I can't see any situation where he's not considered when his only competition for those bottom two spots are Santini, Mueller, Gryba, and now Carrick. 

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, NJDfan1711 said:

If they called him up and he doesn't play tonight, I'm gonna flip.   Yakolev is a fine enough defenseman and still young enough where he could easily be on this team for the next 4-5 years, provided it's at the right price.  And when all of the guys are healthy, he doesn't even have to garner top 4 minutes when we have Vatanen, Severson, Butcher, and Smith.  I can't see any situation where he's not considered when his only competition for those bottom two spots are Santini, Mueller, Gryba, and now Carrick. 

And, that's assuming Smith is ready for the NHL next year, which I think he probably is. 

What's Gryba's status, I assume he is headed back to the AHL having cleared waivers? 

Santini and Gryba should be in the AHL, Yakovlev should be in the NHL, and if Carrick wants to compete to knock Mueller out of that last spot, I'm fine with that. 

I wonder, though, if we won't be dressing 7 defensemen tonight. Bratt being out with injury, you would've expected a forward recalled instead. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, NJDfan1711 said:

Carrick has been paired with Mueller in practice. My money is on them playing tonight. Maybe Yak was called up so Hynes can teach him how to say "prepared", "engaged" and "connected" in English?

26 minutes ago, NLinfante said:

So now the question (other than will Hall play again this year?) is what are we going to do with all those picks?

I think the Devils need to do more than trade up in the draft.  I would go on record to say  that if they do not make at least 2 major splashes in either the trade or free agency market which show Hall that the Devils are committed to winning now and not wasting away Hall's prime years, that he is not going to stay.  This is the year that they will need to overpay on someone or make another Palmieri deal.  The fact that the Mueller deal really hasn't panned out, coupled with Johansson not being here anymore takes us down a  few pegs. 

So, don't jump at me here.  But I remember when we acquired Cory way* back when, the knock on him was that he wasn't a 'big game' player, and that he'd struggle to win meaningful games.  I wrote it off as* sour grapes bullsh!t from Nucks fans, but after a few years.. I'm starting to believe it.

So, someone prove me wrong.  Besides that one game against Tampa last year - has Cory strung together a solid string of games when it mattered as a Devil?  Because in my mind, he's only won when the team was largely irrelevant.  Obviously his injury might skew recent results.

Edited by Devilsfan118
Edit: I don't type well in the morning, apparently

33 minutes ago, Devilsfan118 said:

So, don't jump at me here.  But I remember when we acquired Cory was back when, the knock on him was that he wasn't a 'big game' player, and that he'd struggle to win meaningful games.  I wrote it off at sour grapes bullsh!t from Nucks fans, but after a few years.. I'm starting to believe it.

So, someone prove me wrong.  Besides that one game against Tampa last year - has Cory strung together a solid string of games when it mattered as a Devil?  Because in my mind, he's only won when the team was largely irrelevant.  Obviously his injury might skew recent results.

He was really good Oct-Dec last season. 

51 minutes ago, Devilsfan118 said:

So, don't jump at me here.  But I remember when we acquired Cory was back when, the knock on him was that he wasn't a 'big game' player, and that he'd struggle to win meaningful games.  I wrote it off at sour grapes bullsh!t from Nucks fans, but after a few years.. I'm starting to believe it.

He’s only been on the team when we were largely irrelevant. Except for last year’s playoff run when he was obviously hurt. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Devilsfan118 said:

When was the last time he was in the lineup and the team wasn't largely irrelevant?

• Like 1