Schneider: done or finished?

Devils Pride 26

Schneider: done or finished?   

12 members have voted

1. 1. Schneider: done or finished?

• Done
    • Finished

1 hour ago, NJDevs4978 said:

The funny thing is now people are using Cory's last two years to eviscerate the trade when there's really no reason other than injury he should have had such a dramatic falloff early in his contract.  People have short memories, all I read online for years was that Lou wasn't doing enough to plan for the post-Marty future.  He finally does and people still hold it against him.

Well he should have known better than to even try, because now it's plain to see he tried and failed -signed: a perpetually unsatisfied fan

Really though, you can't win.

3 hours ago, NJDevs4978 said:

The funny thing is now people are using Cory's last two years to eviscerate the trade when there's really no reason other than injury he should have had such a dramatic falloff early in his contract.  People have short memories, all I read online for years was that Lou wasn't doing enough to plan for the post-Marty future.  He finally does and people still hold it against him.

I hold it against Lou, personally, because he did a piss-poor job of managing the rest of the roster during that time period.  It was clear that 2012 was a fluke and that the team wasn't going to be competitive after losing Parise and then Kovy.  Going into a full rebuild was the right option, but Lou "Re-Tool" Lamoriello decided to try and delay the inevitable by trading a top-10 pick for a goalie.

This is all with the benefit of hindsight, granted.  But Lou murdered this franchise by not surrendering the first round pick in 2012, and by not allowing the Devils to truly bottom out in 2014, 2015 and 2016 (finished 20th,  25th and 20th) by acquiring Cory Schneider.

I digress.  Cory's donezo imo.

Edited by Devilsfan118
  • Like 1

20 minutes ago, Devilsfan118 said:

I hold it against Lou, personally, because he did a piss-poor job of managing the rest of the roster during that time period.  It was clear that 2012 was a fluke and that the team wasn't going to be competitive after losing Parise and then Kovy.  Going into a full rebuild was the right option, but Lou "Re-Tool" Lamoriello decided to try and delay the inevitable by trading a top-10 pick for a goalie.

This is all with the benefit of hindsight, granted.  But Lou murdered this franchise by not surrendering the first round pick in 2012, and by not allowing the Devils to truly bottom out in 2014, 2015 and 2016 (finishined 20th,  25th and 20th) by acquiring Cory Schneider.

I digress.  Cory's donezo imo.

Thank you. 

From 2005 - 2015 he ruined this franchise and answered to no one but himself. Let Paul Martin walk and replaced him with Tallinder and Volchenkov, let Parise walk for nothing, had to trade away Malakhov and a first-rounder to the Sharks just to dump his stupid contract, Havlat, Ryder, Clowe,...and as if that wasn't enough, his draft picks were atrocious for the most part. And as was already mentioned, when the franchise was nearing a rebuild he sends away a top 10 pick for a goalie when much more was needed and surrounds him with patchwork pickups as he'd always done.

He sure had the team clean shaven though and their low jersey numbers looked pretty. That was important. 

Edited by slasher72
  • Like 2

Does anyone think Cory starts one of the two games this weekend? (counting Friday as a weekend game, of course).  We haven't played since Monday, so 3 days off might be enough rest for Kinkaid to handle a back to back, and obviously Cory's play hasn't warranted him another start, but what makes it interesting is that we also play on Monday, so it's 3 games in 4 days.  

1 hour ago, NJDfan1711 said:

Does anyone think Cory starts one of the two games this weekend? (counting Friday as a weekend game, of course).  We haven't played since Monday, so 3 days off might be enough rest for Kinkaid to handle a back to back, and obviously Cory's play hasn't warranted him another start, but what makes it interesting is that we also play on Monday, so it's 3 games in 4 days.  

I really hope Schneider does not get one of the games. I am surprised there hasn't been an "injury" announced about Cory to free up a spot to give Blackwood one of the 3 games. 

I have no doubt he is still recovering/suffering the effects of his injury. Just the way he was moving in the last game was enough to tell me that, he was moving at about half the speed he used to. 

The question, of course, is how the fvck long before it comes back (if at all), and maybe it would've been more beneficial for all parties for him to work it out in Binghamton a little longer rather than in NJ. 

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Kinkyisth3b3st said:

Worth a read; 

Hes still recovering, there's no denying that.  I actually still think he's not fully healed based on movements.  Then one thing I disagree with is him being elite.  He was a good backup, and had a good 2ish years here with above avg play.  Above average play does not translate to elite for me.

I guess everyone's definition of elite is different, but outside those 2 good years he consistently couldn't make timely saves, and didnt thrive under high pressure games, in fact played worse in those.  To me an elite goalie is one that is both above average for a period over 3 seasons as a starter,  makes timely saves, consistently wins the big games, and can win playoff series.  Rine, quick, holtby, price are goalies that I would consider "elite" in today's game.   If you're not at their level, nor at the Brodeur,roy, Hasek level you aren't elite.  

1 minute ago, bobilly45 said:

Rine, quick, holtby, price are goalies that I would consider "elite" in today's game.   If you're not at their level, nor at the Brodeur,roy, Hasek level you aren't elite.  

Yeah I have to agree with that. Cory was a good, solid goalie for those couple of years. But elite? No, I am afraid not. 

While my opinion is just that. After watching Cory of Late and video of Cory in prime, There is a difference in his quickness on getting his pads down and positioning on the puck carrier. I noticed he seems to be playing further back instead of challenging the play. One thing he was always sound on was his positioning. whether he is done or finished I think he needs time to figure this out, something we don't have because our defensive play can not bail him out. Sending him to the Bing may help him figure it out and I don't think anyone will grab him off waivers. Whatever happens I only hope the best for him..... Lets go Devils!!!!!

• Like 1

17 hours ago, mfitz804 said:

I have no doubt he is still recovering/suffering the effects of his injury. Just the way he was moving in the last game was enough to tell me that, he was moving at about half the speed he used to. 

The question, of course, is how the fvck long before it comes back (if at all), and maybe it would've been more beneficial for all parties for him to work it out in Binghamton a little longer rather than in NJ. 

The only problem I have with this and why I don't think it's as much of a reason to explain his poor play (as we have discussed this in other topics) is simply because, if it's really that obvious, and you can spot it from your couch, why isn't anyone else saying that?  Why isn't the coach or the training staff saying "Hey, Cory doesn't look right, it seems like his injury is still nagging.  Maybe he should sit out some more." Or, "Does Cory need more rehab?"   "Is it the best thing for Cory to be suiting up and us asking him to stop 30-40 shots while he's potentially still healing?".  Or why isn't Cory himself saying "Coach, I'm still not 100%, I think I need some more time to recover", or "I don't want to let the team down right now, I think you should call up one of the other guys and let them fill in for now".  Are you telling me the coaching staff STILL insists that Schneider is somehow the better option than Lack/Blackwood despite how he's played lately?  Or are you telling me that Cory is too much of a competitor and won't swallow his pride and/or is afraid to give up his spot to someone else?   Sorry, I just don't buy either of those.  At least not as much as I buy the fact that what's actually happening is that Cory is probably 85-90% healthy, and he's simply just sucking right now. I'm willing to attribute his injury to part of it, sure, but this has gone on for far too long.  18 games is just insane.

I don't know if you were just saying it tongue in cheek, but if you believe he has truly been moving at half his normal speed lately, then someone, or many people (Hynes, the trainers, and Cory himself - all 3 of them), are guilty of grave malpractice in that they should be stepping up and saying something, because it has, is, and will continue to cost this team points if they're putting someone out there who is 50% or less.  

He needs to regain form in the AHL. 2 games a week down in the A, for as long as it takes. 

Someone brought up Parise leaving. I don't blame Lou for that too much, ownership wasn't in position to do anything - they were broke, unpaid debts, etc. 

But I do blame Lou for not rebuilding at all as someone suggested above. 

Edited by HellOnICE
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, HellOnICE said:

He needs to regain form in the AHL. 2 games a week down in the A, for as long as it takes. 

Someone brought up Parise leaving. I don't blame Lou for that too much, ownership wasn't in position to do anything - they were broke, unpaid debts, etc. 

But I do blame Lou for not rebuilding at all as someone suggested above. 

Meh, I don't.  Shifting gears after 2012 seems impossible - the team was within 2 games of winning the Stanley Cup, and he's supposed to realize immediately after losing Parise that it's all crashing down?  He probably should've given up the 2012 pick - I defended the decision then and I still do now.  It's all water under the bridge - if they have to buy out Schneider, so be it.  It was never likely that Schneider would break down this quickly.   

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Triumph said:

Meh, I don't.  Shifting gears after 2012 seems impossible - the team was within 2 games of winning the Stanley Cup, and he's supposed to realize immediately after losing Parise that it's all crashing down?  He probably should've given up the 2012 pick - I defended the decision then and I still do now.  It's all water under the bridge - if they have to buy out Schneider, so be it.  It was never likely that Schneider would break down this quickly.   

Wouldn't buying him out be like the worst thing possible?  What do we gain from it other than cap space?  Surely if we were to try to trade him we'd get at least something for him, even if it was a 5th or 6th round pick. 

32 minutes ago, NJDfan1711 said:

Wouldn't buying him out be like the worst thing possible?  What do we gain from it other than cap space?  Surely if we were to try to trade him we'd get at least something for him, even if it was a 5th or 6th round pick. 

They can't buy him out now, too much time left. Now Andy Greene, on the other hand...

1 hour ago, Triumph said:

I give Lou the benefit of the doubt given the financial strain he was in under ownership. I don't think any of us really know what a disaster he was left with at that moment of time. I've heard a little bit through the grapevine and it's just astonishing.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, NJDfan1711 said:

Not sure we could trade him at this point, unless we retain $$... 

3 hours ago, HellOnICE said:

I give Lou the benefit of the doubt given the financial strain he was in under ownership. I don't think any of us really know what a disaster he was left with at that moment of time. I've heard a little bit through the grapevine and it's just astonishing.

Well I mean you can't just tease us like that and not share the info :lol:

48 minutes ago, DevsMan84 said:

Cory also has a NTC.

Can we convince him that he wants to "go home" to Boston? It always works for free agents...

FYI I just googled Cory Schneider and this is the article that came up. The title basically sums it up. 

Former Canucks goalie Cory Schneider has become a shadow of his former self

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, DevsMan84 said:

Cory also has a NTC.

Maybe he would waive it for the right team and a fresh start, better than riding the bench or even being waived and sent down. But I still think it would be miracle to find a trade partner at this stage and we would have to retain salary.

29 minutes ago, Devs1965 said:

Maybe he would waive it for the right team and a fresh start, better than riding the bench or even being waived and sent down. But I still think it would be miracle to find a trade partner at this stage and we would have to retain salary.

Maybe Shero can find another GM in the league who is a chronic drinker and hope he's drunk when he brings up the topic. 

• Haha 1