GDT: Devils @ Lightning - 11/25/18, 7:00pm

NJDfan1711

1 minute ago, Nicomo said:

Ah, gotcha. I only root for them in hockey. I still hate them in football for producing rapist ass Big Ben. 

Worst part is he wasn’t an absolute piece of sh!t when he went there. He came to buffalo when Miami visited after he got drafted, was actually a decent guy to talk to

I had no idea but Conte no longer works for Vegas. Lou hired him in September.  Lol. 

"Also appearing at camp today was David Conte, who has been hired as a special assignment scout. Conte was most recently a pro scout for Vegas, and before that was the director of Devils scouting for 22 years. Do a search on Twitter for Devils fans still cursing Conte’s name over busted draft picks past."

They unfortunately have to use the nuclear option on Schneider - I'm afraid they won't do it, and he did play well after the first 4, but they've got to assign him to the AHL to get things together.  Whether it's him or the team doesn't really matter much anymore - he's just not stopping much that's difficult and the team is immediately losing by a large amount right away with him in net.  Binghamton plays Utica on Wednesday and then they have two games on the weekend - give Schneider 2 of those games and see if he can't get himself right down there, at least give him some confidence.  They can't afford to throw the season away on Schneider and he is getting almost no breaks, but .850 just can't play in the NHL. 

The team has to play a hell of a lot better too.  It's easy to look at Schneider and say this was his fault, but they did not play well at all - goal #3 was especially bad, just terrible coverage all around.

Edited by Triumph
  • Like 6

1 hour ago, jagknife said:

For me the predictability of the Giants was actually laughable. When you can call a loss, and how, at the half can made it entertaining.

I texted my eagles buddy with about 9 minutes left and said a game winning FG was coming.  You could just tell.  Sure enough, it happened.  Terrible play calling in that second half. 

So yeah. Tri is right. 35 needs to get some work in w/o hampering the big team. I don't know what else to do. Let him be back up tonight, but send him down for the weekend at least. I think Hynes thought, as did I, that the team would come out with fire last night and not on the 2nd end of a back to back - which is been what 35 has been working with. But it didn't matter. 

Shero hasn't upgraded the team since the trade deadline, and those didn't workout. I don't know the specifics around what's possible then/offseason/now - but it's been tough going. We need D badly. I do know - some of the D is playing above their should-be-slots, that's never good - and we need to find a way to push Greene down and lighten Vatanen's load. This is a hard question to answer. 

The coaching. I just don't know what to make of it. Is it the way the team is playing, the system, coaching? Are we playing a style of hockey that fits the roster and its deficiencies or are we trying to push the roster into a style that may not fit who we have. 

Lastly - I just feel like we're easy to play against. I don't know - I feel like we don't have pushback. Not saying goon it up, but the shots Kucherov takes,  I don't want to see that anymore. Not saying we need a Tom Wilson, but I'd like Wood to step in and do something if he isn't scoring.

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, HellOnICE said:

Lastly - I just feel like we're easy to play against. I don't know - I feel like we don't have pushback. Not saying goon it up, but the shots Kucherov takes,  I don't want to see that anymore. Not saying we need a Tom Wilson, but I'd like Wood to step in and do something if he isn't scoring.

This is spot on, and it drives me absolutely INSANE. HOW MANY TIMES have I called for someone to take out Kucherov, dating back to the playoffs last year?! Because it feels like I say it fifteen times a game when we play them. I’m sick of it. This team is soft, they’re weak, and they have no fvcking balls. Of all the things that annoy me about this group, THAT is the one that kills me the most. SHOW SOME fvckING BACKBONE YOU PU$$IES. I swear, they’ve taken on the personality of their lifeless, emotionless, useless captain. 🤬

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, HellOnICE said:

So yeah. Tri is right. 35 needs to get some work in w/o hampering the big team. I don't know what else to do. Let him be back up tonight, but send him down for the weekend at least. I think Hynes thought, as did I, that the team would come out with fire last night and not on the 2nd end of a back to back - which is been what 35 has been working with. But it didn't matter. 

Shero hasn't upgraded the team since the trade deadline, and those didn't workout. I don't know the specifics around what's possible then/offseason/now - but it's been tough going. We need D badly. I do know - some of the D is playing above their should-be-slots, that's never good - and we need to find a way to push Greene down and lighten Vatanen's load. This is a hard question to answer. 

The coaching. I just don't know what to make of it. Is it the way the team is playing, the system, coaching? Are we playing a style of hockey that fits the roster and its deficiencies or are we trying to push the roster into a style that may not fit who we have. 

Which is the exact opposite of what other teams coaches and players were saying last year. And it wasn’t just Hall. I wish I knew what it was, but I agree with the bold. So many of our losses are not even close. 

Edited by Nicomo
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, Nicomo said:

Which is the exact opposite of what other teams coaches and players were saying last year. And it wasn’t just Hall. I wish I knew what it was, but I agree with the bold. So many of our losses are not even close. 

Seven losses by 3+ goals.

One of them was a 5-2 loss to Philly that was bloated by two empty-netters.  Another was a 3-0 Isles loss that was also inflated with an empty-netter.

The ones that bother me the most are the two losses to Tampa (they just looked flat-out noncompetitive and light years away from being in Tampa's league), and the losses to the Senators and Maple Leafs.  The Jets one was aggravating too, because the Devils fought back to make it 3-2 in that one, and then Cory went and did Cory.  Of their 13 losses (regulation and OT), six of them have come by one goal, and an 7th loss was a two-goal loss by virtue of a late empty-netter.   So although it can feel like a lot of losses have been blowouts, it's not really the case...but I will say that when the Devils implode in some of these bad losses, they do it in spectacular and memorable fashion. 

4 minutes ago, Devilsfan118 said:

Man HoI nailed it re: Wood - if he's not going to score, you at least need him to be physical and play with an edge.

Man what the hell happened to him?  Got his big contract so he's gone on cruise control?

He hasn’t been the same since his suspension last year. 

50 minutes ago, MadDog2020 said:

This is spot on, and it drives me absolutely INSANE. HOW MANY TIMES have I called for someone to take out Kucherov, dating back to the playoffs last year?! Because it feels like I say it fifteen times a game when we play them. I’m sick of it. This team is soft, they’re weak, and they have no fvcking balls. Of all the things that annoy me about this group, THAT is the one that kills me the most. SHOW SOME fvckING BACKBONE YOU PU$$IES. I swear, they’ve taken on the personality of their lifeless, emotionless, useless captain. 🤬

Its not going to happen. It didn't happen the next time we played, and its not the 1990's. That kind of stuff doesn't happen anymore. The game isn't played that way, much to my disappointment. 

We all just have to get over it. 

2 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

Its not going to happen. It didn't happen the next time we played, and its not the 1990's. That kind of stuff doesn't happen anymore. The game isn't played that way, much to my disappointment. 

We all just have to get over it. 

No, the game IS still played that way in some places.... just not here. 

57 minutes ago, MadDog2020 said:

100%. I feel like Hynes has told Wood to tone it down. I would be unleashing him on Kucherov in that spot. All Wood does these days is rush the net and knock it off its moorings. Might as well let him fight other players and rough them up. It's not like it will take away from his production. 

3 minutes ago, MadDog2020 said:

No, the game IS still played that way in some places.... just not here. 

I mean, in the past, sure.  But if you think that happens around the NHL anymore, you're kidding yourself.   

Vatanen himself has gotten Kucherov with a big hit and the Devils take notice of him when he's around and try to rough him up a bit (like last night, when they took a penalty which led to them going down 2-0).  

12 minutes ago, Triumph said:

I mean, in the past, sure.  But if you think that happens around the NHL anymore, you're kidding yourself.   

Vatanen himself has gotten Kucherov with a big hit and the Devils take notice of him when he's around and try to rough him up a bit (like last night, when they took a penalty which led to them going down 2-0).  

I’m not saying decapitate the guy.... I’m saying send a message that you aren’t gonna be pushed around and dictated to. Whatever message the Devils tried to send wasn’t received, nor was it delivered effectively. Boyle’s little love tap doesn’t count as message sending.