Hughes or Kakko

Jerzey

Hughes or Kakko?  

96 members have voted

1. 1. Who should Shero pick?

20 minutes ago, aclc79 said:

Still, Hughes is only just turning 18.  He has plenty of time to grow.  Hasn't Nico the last two years?

It’s possible I guess. I’ve been the same height since I was 13. 

Nico bulked up a bit but I don’t think he “grew”. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

It’s possible I guess. I’ve been the same height since I was 13. 

Nico bulked up a bit but I don’t think he “grew”. 

It can happen. I think you, in particular, are familiar with one of the Devils prospects who "grew" after turning 18.

On 4/12/2019 at 3:50 PM, MB3 said:

Tbh I think there's a nonzero chance the Rangers either trade down to #3 or take Podkolzin at #2. It's not likely, but it's not impossible. They're building a little Russian team there; Shestyorkin, Kravstov and Rykov will be major players for them for a while. I've heard that Kreider has learned how to speak Russian so he can ease their transition. If they draft Podkolzin, you're kidding yourself if you don't think NYR becomes a clear favorite to land Panarin. 

It's inconceivable this would happen. The dropoff from 2 to 3 is huge as we stand now. There's no way the Rangers are trading down from an 18 year old (he was 17 for most of the season) who finished 6th in goals in the Finnish Elite League to a player who has questionable commitments to leaving Russia right away. They draft Kakko they get a player who becomes immediately impactful for them and who most likely will be a 40 goal scorer sooner rather than later.

Edited by Neb00rs
  • Like 2

The following article is another interesting take on Hughes/Kakko:

https://www.msgnetworks.com/2019/04/11/nhl-qa-analyzing-the-games-of-hughes-and-kakko/

On Hughes:

Steve Kournianos: I would say Hughes is one of the most advanced draft prospects we’ve seen in a decade or so. He’s been ticketed for the top of his draft class for several years, and for good reason. He’s the kind of prospect people will pay good money to see and be rewarded win or lose, which can’t be said about every recent first overall pick.

MSGNetworks.com: If you had to use a pro comparison for Hughes, who would you pick?

Steve Kournianos: Although I won’t go as far as to say he is on the level of a Sidney Crosby or Connor McDavid, Hughes shares several similarities with them, namely Crosby’s elite edge work and hockey sense, and McDavid’s explosiveness and vision. His stickhandling is very close to Kane’s, but there aren’t many players past or present who can cleanly control the puck through traffic the way the Chicago star can. Hughes comes incredibly close though.

On Kakko:

Steve Kournianos: His one-timer from the right circle at this stage of his development is equal to that of Alex Ovechkin’s or Patrik Laine’s during their respective draft years.

MSGNetworks.com: Who would be the closest pro comparison for Kakko?

Steve Kournianos: The knee-jerk comparison is to liken Kakko with fellow countryman Mikko Rantanen, who stars for the Colorado Avalanche. But I see him as a young Rick Nash – a bull of a forward who can shoulder away any defender regardless of size and wear out opponents during the cycle. The way Kakko slings pucks on net off the pass is similar to the likes of Ovechkin and Steven Stamkos.

Edited by Neb00rs
  • Like 2

40 minutes ago, Neb00rs said:

The following article is another interesting take on Hughes/Kakko:

https://www.msgnetworks.com/2019/04/11/nhl-qa-analyzing-the-games-of-hughes-and-kakko/

On Hughes:

On Kakko:

Such an interesting choice Ray has to make. Kakko fits so much of what the Devils need (and tried unsuccessfully to find for many years under Lou and Conte) in that he's a big talented forward who can score and punish the other team. 

But I just don't see how you can pass on a guy with Hughes skill set. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Devil Dan 56 said:

Such an interesting choice Ray has to make. Kakko fits so much of what the Devils need (and tried unsuccessfully to find for many years under Lou and Conte) in that he's a big talented forward who can score and punish the other team. 

But I just don't see how you can pass on a guy with Hughes skill set. 

Indeed Kakko is a player the Devils have long needed. When you watch Kakko fire one-timers at the net, it's not hard to see Laine or even some Ovechkin in him and having Nico, Hall, and in certain cases Bratt to feed him passes would be excellent. 

But you gotta go with best player available here and that's what the Devils are going to do. Hughes.

Edited by Neb00rs
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Neb00rs said:

Indeed Kakko is a player the Devils have long needed. When you watch Kakko fire one-timers at the net, it's not hard to see Laine or even some Ovechkin in him and having Nico, Hall, and in certain cases Bratt to feed him passes would be excellent. 

But you gotta go with best player available here and that's what the Devils are going to do. Hughes.

Well i feel it's better to have a guy with skills and vision who can make everyone around him better and make anyone on his line score with his setups. Than a deadly sniper relying on other guys to set him up. Cause after awhile the other teams knows how to play you and take away your space

2 minutes ago, SterioDesign said:

Well i feel it's better to have a guy with skills and vision who can make everyone around him better and make anyone on his line score with his setups. Than a deadly sniper relying on other guys to set him up. Cause after awhile the other teams knows how to play you and take away your space

Kakko makes those around him better too but yeah, I'm agreeing on Hughes. I've seen Hughes do a few things on the ice that made me laugh. Sydney Crosby-type stuff. We can't pass on this guy no matter how bad the Rangers-loving MSG analysts want us to.

2 minutes ago, Neb00rs said:

Kakko makes those around him better too but yeah, I'm agreeing on Hughes. I've seen Hughes do a few things on the ice that made me laugh. Sydney Crosby-type stuff. We can't pass on this guy no matter how bad the Rangers-loving MSG analysts want us to.

It’s a no brainer. 

10 minutes ago, Neb00rs said:

The choice becomes easier when you see the MSG doofuses taking the rare stance of playing up Kakko over Hughes. That's when you know something is up. Also, then watch the goal Hughes scores at 3:47 lmao.

Who the fvck listens to this guy and goes "Lets put him on TV"....?

54 minutes ago, Neb00rs said:

They want us to draft Kaako so bad. They just needed Daneyko in there to respond like,  "U mad bro?"

I mean Rags fans will listen to this doucher but everyone who has an opinion you'd trust says Hughes. The sh!t he says makes it so easy to tell her is just homering hard and he sounds like an idiot.

I recommend people here listen to the most recent Bobcast where he talks about just how good he thinks Hughes is and you won't be able to stop your hockey boner. He even basically says he is so fast, tenacious, and a powerful skater, and creative it makes up for the lack of size. "As soon as I saw him I go wow, that's Mitch Marner with an extra gear".

https://www.tsn.ca/radio/toronto-1050/tsn-hockey-bobcast-season-3-episode-14-1.1285740

EDIT: I don't meant to say that Kakko won't be really good and there is a chance draft predictions could change but I don't trust this loser's opinion on it lol.

Edited by NJDevils1214
  • Like 2

33 minutes ago, slasher72 said:

Must pick Hughes in this spot. I cant remember the last time the Devils had a center of this caliber.  Probably never. Now's your chance. You need to take him. 

I don’t think the debate even exists in Shero’s mind. 

• Like 2

one thing i really liked in a video that i saw is that someone was saying that Jack is obsessed with hockey. he'll practice and play as much as he can, when he's not then he's watching hockey, doing research, trying to learn as much as he can... and the person (i forget who it is) was saying that when Jack is talking with someone who played or interacted with big star players, that he's always asking tons of questions about them, to learn how they were and what made them special etc etc

For sure if we do draft him, i want him to sit with Elias so he can take in as much as possible from him

• Like 2

15 hours ago, Neb00rs said:

It's inconceivable this would happen. The dropoff from 2 to 3 is huge as we stand now. There's no way the Rangers are trading down from an 18 year old (he was 17 for most of the season) who finished 6th in goals in the Finnish Elite League to a player who has questionable commitments to leaving Russia right away. They draft Kakko they get a player who becomes immediately impactful for them and who most likely will be a 40 goal scorer sooner rather than later.

The Russian Hockey federation can be difficult to deal with.  Good luck to the team that drafts him.

On 4/13/2019 at 5:01 PM, Neb00rs said:

http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/draft/nhl2004e.html

Agreed.  This is the 2004 draft all over again. There was nothing Chicago or Carolina could offer to Pitt or Washington to get them to trade down from Ovechkin and Malkin.  Not saying these guys are as talented as either, but the drop-off is similar.  Here is the draft results from that year for those who are not familiar:  

3 hours ago, Matteau#32 said:

http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/draft/nhl2004e.html

Agreed.  This is the 2004 draft all over again. There was nothing Chicago or Carolina could offer to Pitt or Washington to get them to trade down from Ovechkin and Malkin.  Not saying these guys are as talented as either, but the drop-off is similar.  Here is the draft results from that year for those who are not familiar:  

Washington made out pretty well that draft. They got Green too and he killed it early in his career. 

I'm happy with NJs selection... But I'm a Zajac fanBoi.