2019-20 Around the League Thread

CommonDreads

Just now, titans04 said:

ha? 

so in his rookie season (minus 5 games last year) he has 52 points this season playing defense.  I'm sorry I miss your point here it's even more remarkable to me after playing against lower competition if that's what your saying?

No, I’m saying if Jack followed his brothers path to the NHL he wouldn’t even have been in the league yet. 

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, titans04 said:

ha? 

so in his rookie season (minus 5 games last year) he has 52 points this season playing defense.  I'm sorry I miss your point here it's even more remarkable to me after playing against lower competition if that's what your saying?

Quinn is also 20 years old. Jack is 18. I doubt Quinn puts up those numbers if he comes in the league right after the draft. Two years is a big difference at this age for those guys. That’s what he meant I believe.

Edited by Devs3cups
  • Like 4

4 minutes ago, Devs3cups said:

Quinn is also 20 years old. Jack is 18. I doubt Quinn puts up those numbers if he comes in the league right after the draft. Two years is a big difference at this age for those guys. That’s what he meant I believe.

Yep. You got it. 

• Like 5

41 minutes ago, MadDog2020 said:

Shades of Bryzgalov and Clarkson in the 2012 playoffs...

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Nicomo said:

Yeah, but what are Hutton’s thoughts on the universe though?

Oh sh!t I forgot about all of that!  Guess Carl Sagan’s legacy is safe...

22 minutes ago, EdgeControl said:

Rags fans are truly delusional... they think they are now vastly superior to the devils and that loss was playing down to the competition... a trap game, GFY. That's why that win was HUGE... 

My daughter’s friend’s dad is a Ranger fan, and a couple of weeks ago he was already printing the playoff tickets.  One of many reasons that I was thrilled with last night’s victory.

• Like 1

This is pretty incredible but the Devil's have actually played their way back onto this chart. We haven't been on it for Months!!! And somehow we have actually got ourselves back in with a 0.1% chance of making the playoffs. 

Jim Carrey Chance GIF

• Like 1

It sucks that we started off so bad and played some shaky hockey in and around the holidays, because this team has given us just about everything we could have asked for in the last 2-3 weeks, maybe the last month or so.  Had we played even medicore hockey at a near-.500 level, we'd probably be in the thick of the playoff hunt, instead of barely becoming part of the race again as the season's winding down.  

Even though we're probably going to be watching the playoffs this year, it's nice to see the guys compete down the stretch, and it leaves hope for next season.  I must say, even though there's going to be a bunch of solid head coaching candidates available this off-season, guys with lots of experience and some with a pedigree of winning, I wouldn't exactly hate if Nassreddine was given the job.  I'm coming around on him with the way he's gotten the team playing lately - it's rather impressive, considering a few key pieces, including some veterans, were shipped out, and he's managing a VERY young team.  If this team continues to play well in the last dozen or so games of the season, he at least deserves consideration for the job, something I wasn't able to say a month ago. 

Regarding the goalie situation, I'm still not convinced that Schneider should be part of this team next year, the wounds are just so deep that even some good play of late isn't quite enough to heal them, but I'm at the point where I no longer think it's terrible for him to get some of the workload and keep Blackwood rested, yet sharp.  I can see the two helping each other night in and night out - it's evident, especially after a win, when the guy who didn't play goes up to the winning goalie on the ice with a big smile - they seem happy for each other, and I think the light competition is good for both.  I hope Cory gets the game against the Penguins tomorrow, Blackwood gets the Canes which would be nice to win in regulation, then give Schneider the Panthers on Sat, and since I've never seen Blackwood play live, give him the Tampa game which I will be at.  But, however they decide to divvy it up I'm OK with. 

EDIT:  Wasn't done, didn't mean to hit submit.

In these last 14 games, the schedule has been tough, and I've been impressed that we're coming away with points in many of them, especially on a road trip, and against some really good teams (Caps, Blues, Rags, etc).  If there was ever a reason to win from confidence alone, it would be tomorrow, playing at home after some huge wins.  Two days rest, the team should be ready to go, and full of momentum.  Here's hoping they keep it up.  It probably won't get us into the playoffs, but it's made this end of the season fun anyway.

Edited by NJDfan1711
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, NJDfan1711 said:

It sucks that we started off so bad and played some shaky hockey in and around the holidays, because this team has given us just about everything we could have asked for in the last 2-3 weeks, maybe the last month or so.  Had we played even medicore hockey at a near-.500 level, we'd probably be in the thick of the playoff hunt, instead of barely becoming part of the race again as the season's winding down.  

Even though we're probably going to be watching the playoffs this year, it's nice to see the guys compete down the stretch, and it leaves hope for next season.  I must say, even though there's going to be a bunch of solid head coaching candidates available this off-season, guys with lots of experience and some with a pedigree of winning, I wouldn't exactly hate if Nassreddine was given the job.  I'm coming around on him with the way he's gotten the team playing lately - it's rather impressive, considering a few key pieces, including some veterans, were shipped out, and he's managing a VERY young team.  If this team continues to play well in the last dozen or so games of the season, he at least deserves consideration for the job, something I wasn't able to say a month ago. 

Regarding the goalie situation, I'm still not convinced that Schneider should be part of this team next year, the wounds are just so deep that even some good play of late isn't quite enough to heal them, but I'm at the point where I no longer think it's terrible for him to get some of the workload and keep Blackwood rested, yet sharp.  I can see the two helping each other night in and night out - it's evident, especially after a win, when the guy who didn't play goes up to the winning goalie on the ice with a big smile - they seem happy for each other, and I think the light competition is good for both.  I hope Cory gets the game against the Penguins tomorrow, Blackwood gets the Canes which would be nice to win in regulation, then give Schneider the Panthers on Sat, and since I've never seen Blackwood play live, give him the Tampa game which I will be at.  But, however they decide to divvy it up I'm OK with. 

EDIT:  Wasn't done, didn't mean to hit submit.

In these last 14 games, the schedule has been tough, and I've been impressed that we're coming away with points in many of them, especially on a road trip, and against some really good teams (Caps, Blues, Rags, etc).  If there was ever a reason to win from confidence alone, it would be tomorrow, playing at home after some huge wins.  Two days rest, the team should be ready to go, and full of momentum.  Here's hoping they keep it up.  It probably won't get us into the playoffs, but it's made this end of the season fun anyway.

I've mentioned it a number of times, but the Devils have managed a solid record since 12/14...19-11-7 since that day.  That's an 100-point pace over a full season.  As has been pointed out, goaltending has been the primary driver of the turnaround, but there's also been some offense-by-committee (team is averaging 3.03 GF for this stretch).  And of the 11 regulation losses, 5 of them came when Domingue was in net (though gotta be fair and point out that he played quite well in those big wins over Tampa and Washington).  The team has played hard for Nas, and do seem less prone to panicking and coming unglued...still not sold on him as being the right guy to name as the permanent HC.  

Of course, can't throw out the 9-17-5 record over the 31 games that preceded this run.  And not getting it done enough in OT and SO scenarios.  

There's obviously some warm bodies here (Claussen-types) that won't figure into next season...and of course, it remains to be seen if the Devils are buying into the latest tease from Cory.  One thing that has somehow become even clearer than it already was is that Cory's teammates absolutely LOVE the guy, in spite of how much his play has hurt the Devils the past few years.  

Of course, there will be new faces in here next season...and however this team is constructed, they can't start off like complete ass yet again in 2020-21.  Guys like Bratt need to add to what they're doing to close out this season.  It's not so hard to win with no pressure and with not a whole lot at stake.  I need to see winning extend beyond garbage time.  

2 hours ago, Chimaira_Devil_#9 said:
This is pretty incredible but the Devil's have actually played their way back onto this chart. We haven't been on it for Months!!! And somehow we have actually got ourselves back in with a 0.1% chance of making the playoffs. 

Jim Carrey Chance GIF

That is pretty damned funny.  Basically as long as they keep winning EVERY single one of their games, they should stay on it.  As soon as they suffer another regulation loss...off they come.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, mfitz804 said:

From the statement it sounds to me like the games are not being cancelled. Either they’ll play to an empty arena, or otherwise wait and try to reschedule them somehow. 

I wonder if we will be next or other teams and leagues do as well. I'm far from a person who worries easily and I remember the media coverage about Sars, swine flu etc etc but I really don't remember people freaking out this much before. I also don't remember so many things getting canceled for those either. There's been several big concerts and music festivals canceled completely already and that's never happened before. 

2 minutes ago, Satans Hockey said:

I wonder if we will be next or other teams and leagues do as well. I'm far from a person who worries easily and I remember the media coverage about Sars, swine flu etc etc but I really don't remember people freaking out this much before. I also don't remember so many things getting canceled for those either. There's been several big concerts and music festivals canceled completely already and that's never happened before. 

They also postponed the new Bond movie until September.

1 minute ago, Satans Hockey said:

Here in France this is pure madness but i kind of get it why. Yes, that deadly affect mostly old people or people with severe condition... But it's really deadly for them !!  It's on us to block the contagion. Sport events & co can wait. 
That being said the total meltdown of people rushing to get good & toilet papers ... this is stupid and irresponsable. But this is not a tiny little flu. (and we don't have a vaccine yet) 

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, Nicomo said:

They also postponed the new Bond movie until September.

I saw that but from their statement it was 100% about the fact they wouldn't make as much money on international sales if they released in April vs November. A November release feels right anyway since that's when a lot of them were normally released anyway but at least they were honest about it being about money lol

14 minutes ago, moustic said:

Here in France this is pure madness but i kind of get it why. Yes, that deadly affect mostly old people or people with severe condition... But it's really deadly for them !!  It's on us to block the contagion. Sport events & co can wait. 
That being said the total meltdown of people rushing to get good & toilet papers ... this is stupid and irresponsable. But this is not a tiny little flu. (and we don't have a vaccine yet) 

It's a weird mix here of people wanting everything shut down and then others who think this is just like the regular flu. I'm not sure what to make of it yet but I won't be upset if they start canceling things around here (also helps the Devils aren't in the playoffs so it definitely hurts less with that aspect lol) 

There's definitely less people taking public transportation and I have several friends who were told they can work from home for now until we see how this plays out. 

It's just weird to me though that if this is as serious as they are making it out to be that the mayor of NYC would keep saying the st. Patrick's day parade for next Tuesday isn't canceled yet and no arenas or Broadway theatres here are closed yet. I won't proclaim to know what's best but I fail to see how 2 million people showing up for a parade next Tuesday all standing next to each other in tight quarters makes any sense. 

• Like 1