Devils 2019-20 Lineup/Notes Thread

Neb00rs

while i understand the thought that boqvist either has to be in top 6 or scratch suite because he's wasted on a 4th line, it aggravates me to no end that hayden will play over him.

boqvist can still be an ace on the PP and supposedly is money in shootouts.

hayden is a sandpaper guy who won't play special teams - not entirely useless but save him for games against the flyers and such.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, sundstrom said:

while i understand the thought that boqvist either has to be in top 6 or scratch suite because he's wasted on a 4th line, it aggravates me to no end that hayden will play over him.

boqvist can still be an ace on the PP and supposedly is money in shootouts.

hayden is a sandpaper guy who won't play special teams - not entirely useless but save him for games against the flyers and such.

This is, to me, the biggest question for opening night. And Hynes' comments seem to imply, as you say, Boqvist is going to sit for Hayden.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Neb00rs said:

This is, to me, the biggest question for opening night. And Hynes' comments seem to imply, as you say, Boqvist is going to sit for Hayden.

I put it in the other thread before I saw this one, but Boqvist is wasted in the press box, Hynes should know that. As dumb as 4th line minutes would be, any time is better than none. He's earned 3rd line time, at the bare minimum, in my opinion.

1 minute ago, jagknife said:

I put it in the other thread before I saw this one, but Boqvist is wasted in the press box, Hynes should know that. As dumb as 4th line minutes would be, any time is better than none. He's earned 3rd line time, at the bare minimum, in my opinion.

over who? This is the issue. the only guy you could argue is simmons.

if you want to assume zajac and zacha as 3C and 4C, you've got 5 wingers (i'm ignoring rooney) for 4 spots: coleman, wood, boqvist, simmons and hayden.

sure we all want the shiny new toy in boqvist in the line up, but where does he go?

12 minutes ago, jagknife said:

Hynes has all but said that Boqvist made the team becuase he can be played anywhere in the lineup. But being that he's been rotating in with the top two lines during practice, you'd think that Hynes is looking to insert him into a top 6 or 9 role as players get injured or underperform and he could sit some until that happens. 

2 minutes ago, Neb00rs said:

Hynes has all but said that Boqvist made the team becuase he can be played anywhere in the lineup. But being that he's been rotating in with the top two lines during practice, you'd think that Hynes is looking to insert him into a top 6 or 9 role as players get injured or underperform and he could sit some until that happens. 

Right, its the press box is where he should not be

36 minutes ago, RunninWithTheDevil said:

idk where people are getting this idea that Hayden will play while Boqvist sits.  In my eyes, Hayden was specifically brought here to be the extra big-body against bigger teams like the Flyers who will sit most nights. I see Hayden maybe getting 40ish games this year.

Same. He’s going to wind up being filler. I expect Boqvist to play. 

1 hour ago, mfitz804 said:

Same. He’s going to wind up being filler. I expect Boqvist to play. 

1 hour ago, RunninWithTheDevil said:

idk where people are getting this idea that Hayden will play while Boqvist sits.  In my eyes, Hayden was specifically brought here to be the extra big-body against bigger teams like the Flyers who will sit most nights. I see Hayden maybe getting 40ish games this year.

I wanna say it was Chris Ryan who posted a quote or summation of Hynes saying Boqvist can play up and down (underatandable) but also wouldn't commit to him also not spending time out of the lineup. Its a knee jerk reaction by me, for sure, based off a quick glimpse of a tweet.

2 hours ago, jagknife said:

I wanna say it was Chris Ryan who posted a quote or summation of Hynes saying Boqvist can play up and down (underatandable) but also wouldn't commit to him also not spending time out of the lineup. Its a knee jerk reaction by me, for sure, based off a quick glimpse of a tweet.

He shouldn't commit to anything other than doing what is best for the team. If Boqvist is playing like we hope he will, he'll be in the lineup. 

Don't really have a problem with those lines.  Like everyone else, I'd rather see Boqvist in the lineup over Hayden, and eventually I'd prefer to see the Gusev/Hughes/Bratt line get more minutes than Coleman/Zajac/Simmonds, but for now it's fine.

Surprised Hynes will roll two PP units with only 1 defender each, but I'm also OK with that.  

• Like 1

Swap wood and boqvist and i would be happy. 

But that will not happen due to Wood's contract. I'm really hoping we trade him in a package for a LHD as I don't think his mental processing of the game will ever catch up to his skating.

Edited by Toasterleavins
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Devilsfan118 said:

Don't understand Zajac on PP1.

Also don't understand Nico and Hughes on PP2.

I'm not thrilled with Zajac there either but I think they feel he plays the top of the key shooter position very well and I do remember him potting a few goals there. He's also the most likely center on our team to win face offs in the offensive zone.. 🤔