2020 NHL Draft Thread: Devils: #7 Holtz!

CommonDreads

11 hours ago, AEWHistory said:

Is that really still the best scenario?  Wouldn’t it be better for Vancouver to get a protected pick this year and then bomb next year?  Or am I missing something?  I guess there are too many variables to hope for that, but I’m an eternal optimist... except when we’re fvcked. 

Before I forget, what does next year’s draft look like, potential wise, compared to this year?  It sounds like this is a deep draft so maybe getting the pick this year is better.  Still, I have this fantasy of the Canucks keeping their pick this year only to win the lottery next year.  Yes, I’m greedy....

A few posts after my original one I clarified

4 hours ago, Nicomo said:

Your first statement seems contradictory.

As for the conditional picks, iirc correctly, we want Vancouver to make the playoffs to get their pick this year instead of next, and Arizona we get their pick no matter what unless they win the lottery (which is scary with them having Hall). So I think we want Vancouver to get bounced in the 1st round of the actual playoffs, and Arizona to lose the play-in, but not win the lottery. Which would give us the highest possible pick. 

I think...

It does?

If the Rangers lose the play in, they are one of the 8 teams eligible for the No1 overall pick that we know is going to one of those teams correct? Under normal circumstances i always root for the Rangers to lose, but in this circumstance, id rather have them win the play in round and then have no shot whatsoever at 1st overall if that makes sense. 

In an ideal world the Rangers lose the playin, AND dont get the no1. I just dont trust our/my luck that much.

• Like 1

As i remember Skjei was trade to Car from NYR for first round pick. Or there was some clause?

If Mtl will win is a best case scenario for devs - two best centers of the last 15 years will get great chance for great winger with cheap 3-year contract. Winger who will be great material for fast rebuild. Fast rebuild of our division rivalry. That's a great plan, SD. That's fvcking ingenious, if I understand it correctly. It's a Swiss fvcking watch.

i mean the Rangers have absolutely no shot at winning the cup. I know a lot of you guys believe in the whole "once you're in you never know" but come on lol

It's way safer to hope for them making the playoff than having a shot at landing a top prospect. they have a WAY better chance at winning first overall or getting a good prospect by picking earlier this year than making it all the way

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, SterioDesign said:

i mean the Rangers have absolutely no shot at winning the cup. I know a lot of you guys believe in the whole "once you're in you never know" but come on lol

It's way safer to hope for them making the playoff than having a shot at landing a top prospect. they have a WAY better chance at winning first overall or getting a good prospect by picking earlier this year than making it all the way

Agreed. Also Fvck them. 

• Like 1

Best case scenario if all the metro teams will join play-off. No matter what will be in this Playoff - we dont need Lafrenier for years in our division.

btw Fvck rangers.

Edited by Guadana

10 hours ago, T0asterleav1ns said:

The best scenario imo is the Rangers lose the play-in round but then do not win first overall. I am not wiling to risk the Rangers with 1st overall so I will be rooting for them against carolina.... 🤢

For the Devils if you want picks this year, i believe we want Vancouver to win the first round, and Arizona to lose the play-in?

3 hours ago, T0asterleav1ns said:

It does?

If the Rangers lose the play in, they are one of the 8 teams eligible for the No1 overall pick that we know is going to one of those teams correct? Under normal circumstances i always root for the Rangers to lose, but in this circumstance, id rather have them win the play in round and then have no shot whatsoever at 1st overall if that makes sense. 

In an ideal world the Rangers lose the playin, AND dont get the no1. I just dont trust our/my luck that much.

Your first sentence says the best case is for them to lose the play-in, but your very next sentence says you’re rooting for them to win it. I understand why, I just thought it didn’t quite come out right? 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, SterioDesign said:

They have a top notch goalie, and one of the best players on the planet. Crazier things have happened. 

I don’t think they will win the Cup either, and you’re right their chance at #1 is much better, but I disagree there’s “absolutely no shot.” If Shestyorkin went on an insane run (like Binnington or MAF) I’d be pretty damn worried. 

This also isn’t your typical year, so who knows what to expect...

5 hours ago, Nicomo said:

They have a top notch goalie, and one of the best players on the planet. Crazier things have happened. 

I don’t think they will win the Cup either, and you’re right their chance at #1 is much better, but I disagree there’s “absolutely no shot.” If Shestyorkin went on an insane run (like Binnington or MAF) I’d be pretty damn worried. 

This also isn’t your typical year, so who knows what to expect...

Still, this is a few weeks. One run. I mean... hell if they'd win a cup it would suck but then they'd always have that * next to it. Them landing a top player that will make their team better for another 10+ years would be a pain in the ass for a long time. Plus they landed Kakko and a good young goalie so they are building a good young core. 

On 7/3/2020 at 2:12 AM, SterioDesign said:

No it's not the best case scenario. The best case scenario for us is actually MTL winning the play-in. I posted the extreme best case scenario few days ago.

As for Vancouver... well.... it's so hard to say... i'm really not sure where they'll be next year but it's true that this year with vancouver we're guaranteed a... 17 to 30 pick i guess... while if they sh!t the bed next year we could get a better pick... but who knows really. Like you said since it's a deep draft and that we need talent sooner than later i'd rather get a player this year

14 hours ago, jagknife said:

A few posts after my original one I clarified

hey guys, thanks for the info.  I’ve been pulling for the mythical scenario of getting a top pick next year from Vancouver, but I think I get it now.  Better to have the bird in hand, in a deep draft year, than one in the proverbial bush in a year that maybe isn’t so deep.

I have to admit that I am worried about this draft more than I have ever worried about a draft with the Devils.  So much is at stake.  We will not get another chance like this for decades.  With Hughes, Hischier, and the new players and picks we’ve gotten in trades this will either make or break the franchise for years.  If we draft a bunch of busts then we’ll have traded away solid assets for squadoosh.  If the FO hits a few homeruns we could return to our rightful place as a league powerhouse, lording over the Ragdolls.  I would so love that....

So if anyone in the Devil’s FO is reading this: You just have our hearts in your hand and failure will mean seeing something we love turned into drek.  So no pressure or anything....

On 7/4/2020 at 4:34 AM, AEWHistory said:

hey guys, thanks for the info.  I’ve been pulling for the mythical scenario of getting a top pick next year from Vancouver, but I think I get it now.  Better to have the bird in hand, in a deep draft year, than one in the proverbial bush in a year that maybe isn’t so deep.

I have to admit that I am worried about this draft more than I have ever worried about a draft with the Devils.  So much is at stake.  We will not get another chance like this for decades.  With Hughes, Hischier, and the new players and picks we’ve gotten in trades this will either make or break the franchise for years.  If we draft a bunch of busts then we’ll have traded away solid assets for squadoosh.  If the FO hits a few homeruns we could return to our rightful place as a league powerhouse, lording over the Ragdolls.  I would so love that....

So if anyone in the Devil’s FO is reading this: You just have our hearts in your hand and failure will mean seeing something we love turned into drek.  So no pressure or anything....

Well there's just no way to know really. Look at Ottawa... they made trade thinking it would be for the best and they ended last in the league and Colorado got Byram out of that pick (4th overall)... and then they traded with the Sharks and got their first round pick. Not thinking it would be that good but then they got a top 5 pick out of it. You just never know. So we MIGHT get a better player from Arizona or Vancouver in the next draft but who knows. On paper it would be better to have a guy sooner that can potentially join the lineup sooner. And taken from a deep draft but again, who the hell knows

Let us pray for the 9th pick. 

1. Laf

2. Byfield/Stuzle

3. Byfield/Stuzle

4. Perfetti

5. Drysdale

6. Sanderson

7. Rossi

8. Raymond

9. Holtz

MAKE IT SO. 

Is this possible next year?

Palmieri, Nico, Jack, Holtz, Rossi, Foote, Gusev, Zajac, Zacha, Kuokkanen, Boqvist, Wood, Bratt ?

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, HellOnICE said:

Let us pray for the 9th pick. 

1. Laf

2. Byfield/Stuzle

3. Byfield/Stuzle

4. Perfetti

5. Drysdale

6. Sanderson

7. Rossi

8. Raymond

9. Holtz

MAKE IT SO. 

Is this possible next year?

Palmieri, Nico, Jack, Holtz, Rossi, Foote, Gusev, Zajac, Zacha, Kuokkanen, Boqvist, Wood, Bratt ?

From everything I’ve seen it doesn’t sound like anyone outside of Laf and maybe Byfield or Stutzle would be NHL ready that fast. Never know though. Just look at Bratt. 

I think it was either Scott Wheeler - Athletic or Sam from Sportsnet saying he felt Rossi, Holtz, Laf and maybe Stuzle could make the jump next year. It was very specifically those  3/4 - on the 2 Man Advantage/Full 60 podcasts or 31 Thoughts.

Edited by HellOnICE

Here is my question. What is best case and worst case drafting scenario this year?

Best case - AZ loses playin, MTL or Chicago win lottery. Devils pick -#10

Vancouver wins play in, but loses first rd of playoffs. Devils pick around 16-18??  

Worst Case - Arizona loses play in but wins lottery. Ari picks 1

vancouver loses play in 

we would lose 2 1st rd draft picks in a stacked draft but then get 2 unprotected picks next year. I for one am sick of kicking the can down the road. 

we need a little more magic on our side 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, SterioDesign said:

It's pretty rare that a 7th overall pick makes the NHL right away anyway. No need to rush our pick to join a bad team either

Exactly right. No need to rush him to the NHL and then everyone says he sucks. 

• 2 weeks later...

While it's quiet, we can talk about possible trades. If we have a Vancouver pick, what do you think about this pick trade back? Especially if we have the Arizona pick. Ottawa has 21 and 33, San Jose has 26 and 34, and Anaheim has 31 and 36. Someone from Peterka, Khusnutdinov, Reichel, Amirov and other interesting prospects will be available in 20`th.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Guadana said:

While it's quiet, we can talk about possible trades. If we have a Vancouver pick, what do you think about this pick trade back? Especially if we have the Arizona pick. Ottawa has 21 and 33, San Jose has 26 and 34, and Anaheim has 31 and 36. Someone from Peterka, Khusnutdinov, Reichel, Amirov and other interesting prospects will be available in 20`th.

Could we get something for letting Sens move up from 21 to 17?  I'm sure Fitz is preparing those scenario's  well ahead.

1 hour ago, vadvlfan said:

Could we get something for letting Sens move up from 21 to 17?  I'm sure Fitz is preparing those scenario's  well ahead.

Ottawa has four 2nd round picks. If they really want someone like Mercer, Jarvis or Hollaway it would be a possible deal. Fitz would make that deal if he picks Holtz or Quinn or both.

Edited by Guadana