GDT - Devils @ Penguins 11/22/19 7:00pm

NJDfan1711

Glad, that's over and I don't have to watch Guentzel - Malkin - Rust destroy the Hall-Hischier-Palmieri line any further.

Tonight was the same theme from the whole season - the Devils can't generate offense at 5v5. The Penguins are one of the best 5v5 defensive teams in the league but, it's not like this one was out of the norm re: the Devils performance. Even in games where the Devils generate more shot attempts than tonight, they don't generate them from the right places. The difference between the Devils and a team that's playing okay in the o-zone but struggling to move in from the perimeter is that sometimes the Devils just don't generate significant chances at 5v5 from anywhere.

As for some constructive criticism:

Hall playing on the right side on the Powerplay, as I started to say a couple games ago, is the wrong decision for me. Yeah, it's not like Hall isn't effective at all from that side but over the past few years, the times Hall and by extension the Devils have been at their best - or are generating anything at all - is when Hall is wreaking havoc from the left circle. And Hall was taking a solid amount of shots from that side 5v4, they just weren't going in - a combination of bad luck, Hall just not feeling it, and some other tactical issues. It's much harder for Hall to receive passes comfortably from the right and make space for his stick. In this setup, all being on your off-side really offers is activating the slap pass. We saw the slap pass be successful against Montreal but long-term I don't think Hall is a dangerous enough shooter for it to really be an appealing set up. For instance, the Capitals do it with Ovechkin sometimes, because Ovechkin has such a threatening shot that it draws so much attention towards him, the sudden pass frequently fools the opposition.

Point is, as we saw with Hall's goal tonight, if you run the PP setup the Devils are running, with Hall on the left, no matter how inept Hynes and his crew are, goals are going to be scored. More patience is needed there. That's not to say there's no issues with the PP strategy but it's the 5v5 game that is the point of concern.

Hughes is a ridiculous skater, he cuts so fast sometimes, he breaks the cameraman's ankles. It's fun to watch.

Edited by Neb00rs
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Nicomo said:

What a sad state of affairs. I never thought this franchise would stay this bad for this long. The period of letting Shero off the hook because of what Lou left him has to be coming to an end soon...

Shero's loyalty to Hynes will be his undoing.  A team's ownership can fire those who are not doing their job.  It is not unprecedented.

The thing I don't understand about what the Devils are doing is that they have so much team speed even with a hobbled Hall and yet they constantly look slower than other teams.  Hughes was skating well tonight - almost no one else was.  Hall's line got cratered and that's just not something that should be happening very often.  

The Devils started off okay but then you look up at the shot board and it's 1-1 through 8 minutes in the 1st.  A team with this much firepower should not routinely go long stretches without putting up shots on the opposition's net.  I'm tired of the dump-ins by defensemen, or the D carrying the puck at all through the neutral zone unless their intent is to enter with possession - this team is not built for dump and chase and it is not going to win that way.  But then there's the issue that the forwards can skate but the defensemen cannot - Subban is at best an average skater who is kinda slow turning, Vatanen, Greene, and Butcher are slow, Mueller has maybe average speed, and even Severson skates well but isn't a burner.  Pushing the pace forward probably leaves things exposed on the back end.

For the lack of non head coaches on the staff, there are two Devils scouts that have recently been NHL head coaches - Peter Horachek and Claude Noel - maybe Shero considers one of them as an interim coach.  

Edited by Triumph
  • Like 4

6 minutes ago, Triumph said:

The thing I don't understand about what the Devils are doing is that they have so much team speed even with a hobbled Hall and yet they constantly look slower than other teams.  Hughes was skating well tonight - almost no one else was.  Hall's line got cratered and that's just not something that should be happening very often.  

The Devils started off okay but then you look up at the shot board and it's 1-1 through 8 minutes in the 1st.  A team with this much firepower should not routinely go long stretches without putting up shots on the opposition's net.  I'm tired of the dump-ins by defensemen, or the D carrying the puck at all through the neutral zone unless their intent is to enter with possession - this team is not built for dump and chase and it is not going to win that way.  But then there's the issue that the forwards can skate but the defensemen cannot - Subban is at best an average skater who is kinda slow turning, Vatanen, Greene, and Butcher are slow, Mueller has maybe average speed, and even Severson skates well but isn't a burner.  Pushing the pace forward probably leaves things exposed on the back end.

For the lack of non head coaches on the staff, there are two Devils scouts that have recently been NHL head coaches - Peter Horachek and Claude Noel - maybe Shero considers one of them as an interim coach.  

It’s time to come to grips with the fact that Shero can wheel and deal to his heart‘a content, but he does not know how to build a winning team.  He’s a fraud, just like the loser coach he will not fire.

We used to be a proud organization.

6 minutes ago, Daniel said:

It’s time to come to grips with the fact that Shero can wheel and deal to his heart‘a content, but he does not know how to build a winning team.  He’s a fraud, just like the loser coach he will not fire.

We used to be a proud organization.

I thought you stopped watching this team way back in October.

Firing the coach doesn't fix all of the issues.  It will be done if things continue on this course, obviously.

6 minutes ago, Triumph said:

I thought you stopped watching this team way back in October.

Firing the coach doesn't fix all of the issues.  It will be done if things continue on this course, obviously.

Since Ray and Josh Harris only know how to tank, I suspect that they’ll let this go on for a while. What other information would you possibly need to tell you John Hynes is not an NHL coach.  That’s  why he’s still here.

Edited by Daniel

4 minutes ago, Daniel said:

Since Ray and Josh Harris only know how to tank, I suspect that they’ll let this go on for a while. What other information would you possibly need to tell you John Hynes is not an NHL coach.  That’s  why he’s still here.

You really can't see anything except as a dichotomy, can you?

In order to fire the coach, the GM needs a replacement - he doesn't exactly have a simple one at hand, as I doubt anyone on staff will be taking over as head coach.  There's people in the organization who've been head coaches.  Regardless, whether the person is in the organization or not, It still takes time to set that up, plus the GM would likely want to give the new coach at least a practice before they play a game.  There's not a great stretch for a coach firing upcoming - there's either Sunday, Wednesday after next, and then probably the time after that would be the Christmas break.

They're not tanking.  Jesus christ.  They didn't spend all this money this offseason to fvcking tank.  Get a grip.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Triumph said:

You really can't see anything except as a dichotomy, can you?

In order to fire the coach, the GM needs a replacement - he doesn't exactly have a simple one at hand, as I doubt anyone on staff will be taking over as head coach.  There's people in the organization who've been head coaches.  Regardless, whether the person is in the organization or not, It still takes time to set that up, plus the GM would likely want to give the new coach at least a practice before they play a game.  There's not a great stretch for a coach firing upcoming - there's either Sunday, Wednesday after next, and then probably the time after that would be the Christmas break.

They're not tanking.  Jesus christ.  They didn't spend all this money this offseason to fvcking tank.  Get a grip.

Some day you’ll have to return to Planet Alpha Nebulon and regroup. 

John Hynes has been in the league for more than four years, and has nothing but a track record of failure.   The team started to disintegrate in the third period of the first fvcking game, which anyone with two eyes and functioning brain cell would notice.  Yet the coach who does not know how to win is still here almost two months later and the results are exactly the same and Ray has no plan for a replacement, or if he does, it will likely be someone even worse then him (Kowalsky or Neassardine) if that were ever possible, but somehow it is.  In the meantime, he will be trading his best player for pennies on the dollar because of said incompetent coaches at the same time he hopes to get his replacement in the draft, but won’t have to pay him for a while.  

Ray Shero is a fraud.  A fake tough guy.

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Daniel said:

Some day you’ll have to return to Planet Alpha Nebulon and regroup. 

John Hynes has been in the league for more than four years, and has nothing but a track record of failure.   The team started to disintegrate in the third period of the first fvcking game, which anyone with two eyes and functioning brain cell would notice.  Yet the coach who does not know how to win is still here almost two months later and the results are exactly the same and Ray has no plan for a replacement, or if he does, it will likely be someone even worse then him (Kowalsky or Neassardine) if that were ever possible, but somehow it is.  In the meantime, he will be trading his best player for pennies on the dollar because of said incompetent coaches at the same time he hopes to get his replacement in the draft, but won’t have to pay him for a while.  

Ray Shero is a fraud.  A fake tough guy.

Taylor Hall has been bad this season - I don't think he's the Devils' best player this year, nor do I think the Devils come out that far behind on a Hall trade if this is Hall's best performance.  If it's not and Hall is just dogging it, so be it, but he does not appear to have the speed or power that he had in his MVP season.  

I mean I also think Shero is a fake tough guy but so are most GMs.  

Obviously firing the coach after the first game is a smart move, and something Shero should've considered.  That way he wouldn't be a fraud.  See, i can do this too, it's fun.

I was going to cancel my outing tonight to stay home and watch the game but holy fvck am I glad I didn’t watch that sh!t show. As I mentioned in the other thread if Hynes is not fired after this weekend I’m not watching another game. My eyes burn watching these guys. Also, cancelled my center ice package tonight. What a shame.

Edited by Devils01
  • Like 2

54 minutes ago, Triumph said:

I've been more miserable and sour about this team than I ever have before but the owners are something I just can't complain about. They clearly care and like you said they wouldn't have spent all this money this off season and on paper this looked like it could be an exciting year. They wouldn't have agreed to eat Cory's contract if they didn't care either.

There's a lot to complain about with this team, the owners aren't one of them. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Devils01 said:

I was going to cancel my outing tonight to stay home and watch the game but holy fvck am I glad I didn’t watch that sh!t show. As I mentioned in the other thread if Hynes is not fired after this weekend I’m not watching another game. My eyes burn watching these guys. Also, cancelled my center ice package tonight. What a shame.

That's what DVRs are for. I never cancel outings to watch a game unless it's the playoffs, which lol. 

10 minutes ago, Satans Hockey said:

That's what DVRs are for. I never cancel outings to watch a game unless it's the playoffs, which lol. 

I’ve tried but I just skip through the game because I have no patience and rather skip the boring parts and other times I’m just too tempted to check the score before I get home. I rather enjoy the game in real time but latley we can’t lol

• Like 1

This team should be at least fun to watch. There are loads of really young, skilled, fast guys on the team who have the ability to take teams on. And the just don't do it. 

It's like any fun and life has been sucked out of them. You need the young guys to learn , but they still need a bit of Joy. 

• Like 4