Our Next GM

Colorado Rockies 1976

For years the Caps and Blues were losers and chokers too, till the one year they weren’t. I doubt Bruce would come here anyway unless we were literally his only option, people can diss the playoff record but the regular season success isn’t nothing.

Edited by NJDevs4978
  • Like 2

16 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

I like that we’re gonna sit here having gone to the playoffs twice in the past 10 years, one game won since 2012, and we’re worried about a guy losing game 7’s. 

Well, if the choice was between Boudreau and Nas, it would be no choice at all. But thankfully there’s a bunch of other good coaches up for grabs. And the guy that couldn’t even get over the hump with teams that had, Ovi, Backstrom, Getzlaf, Perry, etc, isn’t high on my list. 

Give me the guy who took 3 different teams to Cup finals, or the guy that took a first year expansion team to one. 

1 minute ago, Nicomo said:

Well, if the choice was between Boudreau and Nas, it would be no choice at all. But thankfully there’s a bunch of other good coaches up for grabs. And the guy that couldn’t even get over the hump with teams that had, Ovi, Backstrom, Getzlaf, Perry, etc, isn’t high on my list. 

Give me the guy who took 3 different teams to Cup finals, or the guy that took a first year expansion team to one. 

I don’t disagree. I just appreciate the irony in us calling someone else a loser when all we have done is lose for 10 years. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, NJDevs4978 said:

For years the Caps and Blues were losers and chokers too, till the one year they weren’t. I doubt Bruce would come here anyway unless we were literally his only option, people can diss the playoff record but the regular season success isn’t nothing.

He has 2nd pts % in regular seasons form active coaches who has more than 143 games( Bruce has 984). He is 4th from active coaches after Cooper, Reirden with 142 games and Keefe with 39 games. Bruce has 47.8 % of win in play off with 90 games. Best one from active coaches is Berube with 57,6%. with 33 games. "Best coach in the world" Barry Trotz has 48,8% in play-off. Bruce has only 2 no-play-off seasons. When he was fired from wild - team was 7-3 or something like that in last 10 games, and wild were still has decent chances for play-off. With all theirs loses Fenton did. And i think they wanted tank before season and they didnt.

Bruce was  10 times in play-off and he was 5 times in 2 round and 1 time in 3rd round. Trotz has much more seasons, but has only one 3rd round(and win the cup to be fair) and 1 more time in second rounds.
I wish Fitz hire Lav but if he will hire Bruce i will never dissapoint about it.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
14 hours ago, Daniel said:

Mike Gillis, talk about a guy who was born on third and thinks he hit a triple.  No more obvious a sign of gross incompetence at the top of this clown is hired.

Mike Gillis was fired for good reason. No thanks. I'm not sure if any GM jobs open up this year, but Fitzy would interview and maybe get it elsewhere. (I want him to get a shot here) . Maybe he'd sign a 2 year "show me" contract.  Fitz has his fingers on the pulse of this team and knows all players well. I think Ray left us with a decent core group, and with a few good additions maybe turn this thing around. A lil early to evaluate Castron, but I like many of our picks.  If a new GM comes in, he'll want "his guy" to replace Castron and go in a different direction. I'd like Fitz/Castron on draft floor in june

• Like 1

How time sensitive is it to hire a new GM at this point? Do we let Fitz finish out the season and then hire someone? Does Fitz get the whole summer to prove himself worthy? I’m just worried that hiring someone new to the organization after the season ends won’t give him enough time before the draft and free agency to prepare. 

4 minutes ago, Jerzey said:

I’m just worried that hiring someone new to the organization after the season ends won’t give him enough time before the draft and free agency to prepare. 

If you hire the right guy I’m not sure that matters. Draft the best guys you can, or trade for stuff that’s better than what you can draft, sign the best free agents available anywhere but center (and maybe at center). Probably 3 guys you won’t trade. One ginger you can’t trade and may buy out. And PK. 

Simple formula for a dude on a message board, anyone worthy of an NHL GM job should have that sh!t in the bag. We’re basically starting at zero plus Nico, Jack and Mac. 

• Like 1

Wouldn’t put Palms, Goose and Bratt in the zero category.  Zacha might actually be making way to “zero-point-one” territory, if this latest tease turns out to be something a little more.  

• Like 1

Friedman’s notes on the GM search are not encouraging:

7. In most situations, Tom Fitzgerald’s deadline work in New Jersey would earn him the permanent GM job. This is not “most situations.” Fitzgerald’s been told he is a legitimate contender, but the Devils will go through their search. Most interesting early development: I heard one individual was told he “doesn’t have the skillset” the organization is looking for. With that in mind, it’s not a surprise that former Vancouver GM Mike Gillis was among the first interviewees (if not the first). New Jersey is only talking to untethered candidates until those under contract are available later.

8. If Fitzgerald is not the long-term choice in Newark, he’ll be a serious candidate for other openings.

https://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/31-thoughts-marc-bergevin-sees-canadiens-present-future/sn-amp/?__twitter_impression=true

I don’t think it’s unreasonable to conclude “skill set” means “spreadsheet” and that analytics, which is cargo cult, will fully take over the organization.  The good news is that even analytics people like Gillis can luck into success if the drafting goes well both before and after he gets here.  On the other hand, analytics people usually hire untested head coaches that know how to speak the lingo but don’t actually know how to win, which is exactly how the Devils got into the mess they’re in in the first place.  

I got to see the Devils win more Cups than most teams fans will.  I’ll always have that.

55 minutes ago, Daniel said:

Friedman’s notes on the GM search are not encouraging:

https://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/31-thoughts-marc-bergevin-sees-canadiens-present-future/sn-amp/?__twitter_impression=true

I don’t think it’s unreasonable to conclude “skill set” means “spreadsheet” and that analytics, which is cargo cult, will fully take over the organization.  The good news is that even analytics people like Gillis can luck into success if the drafting goes well both before and after he gets here.  On the other hand, analytics people usually hire untested head coaches that know how to speak the lingo but don’t actually know how to win, which is exactly how the Devils got into the mess they’re in in the first place.  

I got to see the Devils win more Cups than most teams fans will.  I’ll always have that.

That’s exactly what I take that to mean as well. And it pisses me the fvck off.

1 hour ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Wouldn’t put Palms, Goose and Bratt in the zero category.  Zacha might actually be making way to “zero-point-one” territory, if this latest tease turns out to be something a little more.  

Fair points.