2021 Around The League Thread

Satans Hockey

On 5/9/2021 at 7:30 AM, NJDevs4978 said:

Or the Big 10 in college basketball. That’s why I hesitate to give the Devils ‘but tough division!’ excuse this year, we honestly don’t know how good or bad these teams are playing in pods.

My Scarlet Knights were a few poor coaching decisions away from a sweet-16 birth, thank you very much.

11 hours ago, MadDog2020 said:

They were negotiating with him apparently. They bowed out at $2 million per season. He wants $5 million.

I'm actually excited about the panel TNT is hopefully putting together.  If they can make it even half as entertaining as Inside the NBA I think it could be huge for the sport.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, RunninWithTheDevil said:

I'm betting now Eichel goes to NYR because fvck my life

I think there’s little to no way that doesn’t happen. And they will trade Chityl or some other minor piece to get him also. Meanwhile if it was us, it would be Nico, Jack, Ty Smith and our first round picks until 2054. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, MB3 said:

Lmao, everyone saying "the B1G this year is the BEST CONFERENCE EVER.... look at all these GREAT WINS and QUALITY LOSSES" was such an ESPN-SEC football level of garbage this year. Zero nattys since pre-9/11 and every year you'll have Dan Dakich and the other clowns on ESPN acting like it's the class of college basketball. 

I cheered for rutgers just because of the New Jersey thing, but it was legitimately hysterical how BRUTALLY the B1G performed in March Madness this year. 

Can't refute any point you're making - I was admittedly buying into the talk all season because I.. well, wanted to believe Rutgers was as good as they seemed in the best conference in the country.

23 minutes ago, RunninWithTheDevil said:

I'm betting now Eichel goes to NYR because fvck my life

Almost seems like a foregone conclusion at this point if you listen to a lot of the insiders talk about it.

I just wonder what the ultimate cost is - you have to hope one of Miller / Kakko / Lafreniere is going the other way.  If they somehow add Eichel without subtracting any major pieces... fvck our lives indeed.

Eichel is so good.

On 5/8/2021 at 9:39 PM, mfitz804 said:

So his PPG was better. ;) 

I remember the cackling going in here with a couple of posters earlier this season over Laf doing worse than Jack Hughes did last year.  Yet he finished with a slightly better ppg than him.  I guess the "he's only x years old!" excuse didn't apply to Laf in Jan/Feb.

34 minutes ago, Devilsfan118 said:

Can't refute any point you're making - I was admittedly buying into the talk all season because I.. well, wanted to believe Rutgers was as good as they seemed in the best conference in the country.

Almost seems like a foregone conclusion at this point if you listen to a lot of the insiders talk about it.

I just wonder what the ultimate cost is - you have to hope one of Miller / Kakko / Lafreniere is going the other way.  If they somehow add Eichel without subtracting any major pieces... fvck our lives indeed.

Eichel is so good.

Laf is likely the target going the other way.  Their center depth is pretty bad after Mika and they have enough decent wingers.  Now with Dolan confirming he wants to win now, it's a move they got to make to make that a reality.

48 minutes ago, MB3 said:

Lafreniere didn't start putting up points until he was playing with Buchnevich and Zabinejad. Those guys made Dylan fvcking Strome look like a stud, while Jack as a rookie was playing with Wayne Simmonds and the ghost of Kyle Palmieri. 

And if you want to compare apples to apples (you don't, but we can anyway), you oughta compare Jack Hughes' second year with Lafreniere's rookie year: Jack is a little over four months older than Lafreniere. I think Jack missed the cutoff for the 2020 draft by two weeks. 

But none of this really addresses your main point, which is (and always has been) "Lmao NJDevs is dumb i am smart lmao"

Palmieri lead the team in points last season, but I guess you left that out intentionally as it ruins your argument.  I am also sure those months age difference really made a huge impact /s.

As for the bolded, that's rich coming from someone who is almost always overly aggressive and/or condescending in almost every post you make.  Again, either you are in a decade-plus schtick coma that you cannot seem to get yourself out of or you have some sort of grave anger or emotional imbalance.  Please seek help either way.

58 minutes ago, MB3 said:

Lafreniere didn't start putting up points until he was playing with Buchnevich and Zabinejad. Those guys made Dylan fvcking Strome look like a stud, while Jack as a rookie was playing with Wayne Simmonds and the ghost of Kyle Palmieri. 

And if you want to compare apples to apples (you don't, but we can anyway), you oughta compare Jack Hughes' second year with Lafreniere's rookie year: Jack is a little over four months older than Lafreniere. I think Jack missed the cutoff for the 2020 draft by two weeks. 

But none of this really addresses your main point, which is (and always has been) "Lmao NJDevs is dumb i am smart lmao"

Dylan (actually Ryan Strome never played with Buchnevich and Zibwhatever).  Both Ryan and Zib are centers and never play on the same line other than their pp.  Both Jack and Laf drastically underperformed in year 1 no matter how it gets spun.

Edited by titans04
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, titans04 said:

Dylan (actually Ryan Strome never played with Buchnevich and Zibwhatever).  Both Ryan and Zib are centers and never play on the same line other than their pp.  Both Jack and Laf drastically underperformed in year 1 no matter how it gets spun.

Bingo

30 minutes ago, titans04 said:

Both Jack and Laf drastically underperformed in year 1 no matter how it gets spun.

That's right, but I believe that DevsMan84 is referring to the fact that numerous people defended Jack and carried on when certain people (maybe me) pointed out that he had the worst rookie season points-wise for a #1 in years. Those same people thought it was funny when Laf was totally sh!tting the bed points-wise earlier in the season, but then he managed to come back and actually have a more productive season than Jack had (same points in less games). But there was an excuse for that as well, he's older and played the whole season as a 19 year old. 

Saying you should compare his first season in the NHL with Jack's second season is ridiculous, You can't compare a guy with 0 games played to a guy with a season (albeit shortened season) of NHL experience. That's just silly. The only true comparison is rookie year to rookie year. Four months of age is not comparable to 61 games of NHL experience. 

I'm all for making excuses for why the Rangers and their players suck and are worse than ours, but it is what it is.  

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

That's right, but I believe that DevsMan84 is referring to the fact that numerous people defended Jack and carried on when certain people (maybe me) pointed out that he had the worst rookie season points-wise for a #1 in years. Those same people thought it was funny when Laf was totally sh!tting the bed points-wise earlier in the season, but then he managed to come back and actually have a more productive season than Jack had (same points in less games). But there was an excuse for that as well, he's older and played the whole season as a 19 year old. 

Saying you should compare his first season in the NHL with Jack's second season is ridiculous, You can't compare a guy with 0 games played to a guy with a season (albeit shortened season) of NHL experience. That's just silly. The only true comparison is rookie year to rookie year. Four months of age is not comparable to 61 games of NHL experience. 

I'm all for making excuses for why the Rangers and their players suck and are worse than ours, but it is what it is.  

Also bingo.  Also, for the record, I am not the one who brought up the Laf vs Hughes debate in the first place.  However, I do find it funny how much of a vested interest people do in how he compares to Laf or even Kakko.

Regardless, Jack had a horrible rookie year.  He is much better this year.  Hopefully, he will be even better next year.  That's all I care about and I am glad I was wrong about predicting he won't improve.

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

Well, of course there was.  Jack will always be above criticism.  There's a heat map showing why for that somewhere.  To me f*ck this season just like the last handful or more. Maybe next year they will be playing meaningful games past the halfway point. I guess there's always hope. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, mfitz804 said:

Except you didn’t just point out that he had low point totals for a number 1 pick; you then concluded that we should think its as likely Jack would be a bust, which if anyone had two eyes and actually watched him play would know that’s batsh!t. You also ignored all other considerations explaining his point total.

Who are these ‘people’ that defended Jack’s point total but called out Laf early on?

14 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

Well if he needed neck surgery I can’t really fault him. 

I messed up. I didn't read the whole thing, and I thought it was about a possible Eichel`s desire to leave Buffalo due to poor results.

10 minutes ago, devlman said:

Except you didn’t just point out that he had low point totals for a number 1 pick; you then concluded that we should think its as likely Jack would be a bust, which if anyone had two eyes and actually watched him play would know that’s batsh!t. You also ignored all other considerations explaining his point total.

Not so. I literally said he had a bad season and I hoped he would improve. I never called him a bust or said it was likely he would be. You and a bunch of other people need to check your facts, but if you did that, you’d have to admit you are wrong which you don’t like to do.  

13 minutes ago, devlman said:

Who are these ‘people’ that defended Jack’s point total but called out Laf early on?

Nicomo definitely did. I’m sure there’s others. 

• Like 1