2021 Around The League Thread

Satans Hockey

12 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

And I think the price is just prohibitive enough that Fitz simply says "Let me stick with the kids that I have, including the ones who figure to be on my team in a year or two."  I don't necessarily believe that he's anxious to both trade assets AND sign Kaprizov to an expensive long-term deal on top of it.  And yeah, your offer sounds about right...if anything, I could see them wanting a little more. 

Yeah, I agree that it may be a little light. But, if the market is limited because teams don’t have the cap space, so it’s us or lose him to Russia, who knows?

Just now, DevsMan84 said:

If a player like Bratt (RFA next offseason) or Sharangovich (RFA in 2023) have a Kaprizov-type year, wouldn't the Devils have to pony up for them too on their next contract?  Would either be as good as Kaprizov?

It seems unlikely that Bratt would be, and Sharangovich I haven’t seen enough of yet.  

I would have pause giving him massive amounts of money considering how short his resume is. A great season for sure, but in a shortened year against only a small population of teams. I would want to be sure it wasn't just lightning in a bottle before I pony up for that kind of commitment, and he's already looking down the road at RFA when he'd make even more. 

1 minute ago, DevsMan84 said:

If a player like Bratt (RFA next offseason) or Sharangovich (RFA in 2023) have a Kaprizov-type year, wouldn't the Devils have to pony up for them too on their next contract?  Would either be as good as Kaprizov?

Even if they're never as good, they can still be "merely" solid...and hence cost considerably less.  Also don't see a team from the K ever offering them $10 million for one season (or either one interested in going there).

The big question is how many big contracts do you want on your payroll?  You've already got Nico and Hamilton.  Hughes will get a big raise, as will Smith (at least I'm planning for that).  Blackwood may get a nice raise too...too early to say at this point.

I'm absolutely intrigued by the idea of Kaprizov, just don't think Fitz is going there.  We'll see if it gets to the point where teams actually make offers for his rights.

7 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Even if they're never as good, they can still be "merely" solid...and hence cost considerably less.  Also don't see a team from the K ever offering them $10 million for one season (or either one interested in going there).

The big question is how many big contracts do you want on your payroll?  You've already got Nico and Hamilton.  Hughes will get a big raise, as will Smith (at least I'm planning for that).  Blackwood may get a nice raise too...too early to say at this point.

I'm absolutely intrigued by the idea of Kaprizov, just don't think Fitz is going there.  We'll see if it gets to the point where teams actually make offers for his rights.

I again fail to see the problem with having too many great players. Even if you wound up having to trade Kaprizov later (assuming he is the one you want to trade), you will be in a better position than the Wild as he’s more experienced, and presumably has only improved, and you can potentially cash in for a lot. 

3 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

I again fail to see the problem with having too many great players. Even if you wound up having to trade Kaprizov later (assuming he is the one you want to trade), you will be in a better position than the Wild as he’s more experienced, and presumably has only improved, and you can potentially cash in for a lot. 

I can't say that I disagree.  Just that I think Fitz would rather see what he has in house, without having to possibly pay $10 million per season right off the bat (and give up pieces).  Even though Fitz obviously ponied up for some UFAs, I think his first preference is to build from within.  

4 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

I can't say that I disagree.  Just that I think Fitz would rather see what he has in house, without having to possibly pay $10 million per season right off the bat (and give up pieces).  Even though Fitz obviously ponied up for some UFAs, I think his first preference is to build from within.  

I don’t disagree but maybe a guy who was nearly PPG in his rookie year (yes, as a 24 year old, but still) is the guy you do it for. 

I mean, who is our top line LW, Bratt or Kuokkanen? Kaprizov is a huge improvement over any left wing we have on the roster. 

I'm not convinced he's definitely going to be as good as he was this year and would not be willing to take that chance. Not only his skill, can he do it again and be consistent, but also that constant chance that he could get bent out of shape and just run back to the KHL for nothing. 

32 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

PK's contract comes off the books after this season.  Severson the season after that.  It's not like there are not contracts coming off the books while we are giving some raises.

Smith will be an RFA in 2023 after coming off his ELC.  He is not going to get $6M+.

1 minute ago, NJDevils1214 said:

I'm not convinced he's definitely going to be as good as he was this year and would not be willing to take that chance. Not only his skill, can he do it again and be consistent, but also that constant chance that he could get bent out of shape and just run back to the KHL for nothing. 

That can happen with a lot of players these days.  KHL is just used as a giant tool for leverage for European players.  Two years ago Zacha agreed to terms with a KHL team and yet he never did go over.

9 minutes ago, NJDevils1214 said:

This is why he probably doesn’t get $10m in the US, he’s coming off his entry level deal and he has barely played, that would be nearly a McDavid level raise for a guy who hasn’t proven he has any consistency. I won’t pretend I know what they are offering and what he wants, but I’m assuming we can easily afford it. 

The last part of your post is what bothers me. 

11 hours ago, SterioDesign said:

Reading this is kind of putting things in perspective a bit for the Eichel situation

https://ca.sports.yahoo.com/news/robin-lehner-roasts-sabres-medical-staff-empathizes-with-jack-eichel-232541671.html

Buffalo is a complete dumpster fire of an organization.  They have a great fanbase, but the ownership ad management can't get out of their own way.  

If they trade Eichel, I'm hoping they either send him out west or get a major haul of prospects and picks from the Rags in return.

Just now, Chuck the Duck said:

Buffalo is a complete dumpster fire of an organization.  They have a great fanbase, but the ownership ad management can't get out of their own way.  

If they trade Eichel, I'm hoping they either send him out west or get a major haul of prospects and picks from the Rags in return.

i would like Kaapo Kakko to have to be part of the deal. Just 'cause. 

2 hours ago, MadDog2020 said:

What am I missing here?   

1.  The reported price for landing Eichel from the Sabres of Reilly Smith, Krebs, Hague and a 1st doesn't really feel that steep to me.  Seems like Knights should have already pulled the trigger on this if true.  

2.  Vegas goes and lands Eichel and then would want to flip him to the Rangers for Zibenejad?   Why?   

Edited by Lateralous
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, Lateralous said:

What am I missing here?   

1.  The reported price for landing Eichel from the Sabres of Reilly Smith, Krebs, Hague and a 1st doesn't really feel that steep to me.  Seems like Knights should have already pulled the trigger on this if true.  

2.  Vegas goes and lands Eichel and then would want to flip him to the Rangers for Zibenejad?   Why?   

I agree, none of that makes much sense to me. 

It just keeps getting worse....

https://www.tsn.ca/rick-westhead-former-blackhawks-coach-gives-investigators-account-of-player-abuse-allegations-1.1680876

Vincent also said during the Aug. 7 interview that some coaches had other concerns about Aldrich’s behaviour during the 2009-10 season. Vincent said that Aldrich brought interns to the players’ locker room after games to drink alcohol.

“Some of [the interns] looked younger, looked like minors and he was having drinks with them,” Vincent told the investigators.

The only thing that does surprise me is the potential that dozens or more people knew about this stuff, players, coaches, team/arena staff, executives, and not one of them said anything to the authorities. Maybe they thought that management had been told, but nothing happened and still none of them felt any obligation to go to the authorities....just crazy.

22 minutes ago, NJDevils1214 said:

https://www.tsn.ca/rick-westhead-former-blackhawks-coach-gives-investigators-account-of-player-abuse-allegations-1.1680876

The only thing that does surprise me is the potential that dozens or more people knew about this stuff, players, coaches, team/arena staff, executives, and not one of them said anything to the authorities. Maybe they thought that management had been told, but nothing happened and still none of them felt any obligation to go to the authorities....just crazy.

The NHL, if it had anything resembling balls, should come down like the wrath of god on Chicago and make them vacate that 2010 cup. Furthermore, their names should be Xed out on the cup like that guy from the oilers.

Them turning a blind eye is an utter disgrace

58 minutes ago, NJDevils1214 said:

It’s like it was 1965 and people just didn’t talk about that kind of stuff. 

4 hours ago, NJDevils1214 said:

This story is f’ing horrible but the worst part is I truly believe that this was well known by everyone.  

Someone can correct me but the one part of the Penn State fiasco that I’ve never seen answered is why if no one knew what was up, why did Sandusky never get another job?   The dude had documented aspirations to follow Paterno as head coach and then he just up and retires at 55 after being defensive coach of the year and never gets a sniff of a head coaching job or a top paid coordinator job somewhere else?  To an extent, I think his dirt was known by everyone in college football years before it became a scandal.   

Edited by Lateralous