Devils Getting a Black Third Jersey

Chimaira_Devil_#9

3 minutes ago, DevsMan84 said:

Devils traded Butcher and a 5th rounder for "future considerations" when we are not even against the cap.  Maybe it is for roster space, but we have no idea because for whatever reason the entire trade was barely even reported by the team or our lone non-team employed beat writer.

Hamilton's salary becomes a non-issue when Subban's salary comes off the books.  I see that as swapping one out for the other.  Regardless, I still think they are operating on an internal cap for the on-ice product.

Also, don't let me get into it about the off-ice areas which they are still cheaping out on (roof that is still leaking almost a decade later, damaged fixtures in the bathrooms, worst arena-food in the entire tri-State area, etc).

Sadly I think Butcher's stock had fallen that far...you're not going to get a ton for a guy who was healthy-scratched for several games.  And he's not doing a whole lot for the Sabres this year.  

A seven-year commitment at $9 million a year is not chump change, even with PK coming off...and Jack figures to get a nice raise, as do some others.  I don't get the impression that if the Devils need to become capped out to get over the hump, that ownership wouldn't allow it.

Agree that the arena could absolutely use some TLC in spots.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Devil Dan 56 said:

I feel like Masisak thinks he’s the smartest guy ever with that “a team that plays home games in Newark” line considering he used it twice. 

Seriously, all 12 people that go to Riveters games liked their new unis?  Congrats Cory.  Doesn't change the fact that this leaked "Jersey" is ugly and unimaginative.  Oh, and since it apparently wasn't clear a few years ago when they included the bottom black stripe on our home jerseys, nobody knows about/cares about the Newark Bulldogs.  Why the hell does Adidas feel the need to keep honoring their eternal legacy of failure and irrelevance?  I don't get it.

This is exactly why I didn't want a 3rd jersey that wasn't a retro.  The morons at Adidas, in conjunction with the corporate shills in the Devils front office, were bound to screw it up.  They are clueless suits that can't get anything right.  I will not be purchasing one of these disasters, and hope they don't sell at all so we only have to deal with a year or 2 of seeing them on the ice before they are pulled out of rotation forever.  They should have made the reverse retro our alternate jersey and been done with it.   And if they had to go with a black jersey, I agree with several other posters who said that each and every fan design out there, including the Gabbagol and Bada Bing designs, would be an upgrade over this atrocity.  

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Chuck the Duck said:

Seriously, all 12 people that go to Riveters games liked their new unis?  Congrats Cory.  Doesn't change the fact that this leaked "Jersey" is ugly and unimaginative.  Oh, and since it apparently wasn't clear a few years ago when they included the bottom black stripe on our home jerseys, nobody knows about/cares about the Newark Bulldogs.  Why the hell does Adidas feel the need to keep honoring their eternal legacy of failure and irrelevance?  I don't get it.

This is exactly why I didn't want a 3rd jersey that wasn't a retro.  The morons at Adidas, in conjunction with the corporate shills in the Devils front office, were bound to screw it up.  They are clueless suits that can't get anything right.  I will not be purchasing one of these disasters, and hope they don't sell at all so we only have to deal with a year or 2 of seeing them on the ice before they are pulled out of rotation forever.  They should have made the reverse retro our alternate jersey and been done with it.   And if they had to go with a black jersey, I agree with several other posters who said that each and every fan design out there, including the Gabbagol and Bada Bing designs, would be an upgrade over this atrocity.  

So when do you think they’ll go on sale?

🤣

10 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Sadly I think Butcher's stock had fallen that far...you're not going to get a ton for a guy who was healthy-scratched for several games.  And he's not doing a whole lot for the Sabres this year.  

A seven-year commitment at $9 million a year is not chump change, even with PK coming off...and Jack figures to get a nice raise, as do some others.  I don't get the impression that if the Devils need to become capped out to get over the hump, that ownership wouldn't allow it.

Agree that the arena could absolutely use some TLC in spots.

It's not what he got traded for, but why.  I don't think guys like Jaros are really much of an improvement on him.

They renovated a lot of stuff that wasn't in dire need of renovating.  However, when it comes to keep fans dry, fed and being able to use a functioning toilet they cheap out.  Weird.

27 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

I wish this was the case, I really do, but I find that corporate dweebuses don't often like to admit that they might have made a mistake, misread the tea leaves, etc...so I expect more of a double-down.  But now it's on the fans not to buy them...I'm sure some will, but based on the general reaction, it can't be very many.    

It’s more than just that, though. At this point the jersey has already had to go through team and league approval so we’re stuck with it until they decide to take another crack which, with all the time “research and development” takes would probably be 2023-24 at the earliest. Theres no backing out once it gets into the production phase of things

Of course, research and development in reality should be about a 15 minute conversation with actual Jersey fans and not assumptions of what a New Jersey fan is supposed to be. 

• Like 3

29 minutes ago, Devil Dan 56 said:

It’s more than just that, though. At this point the jersey has already had to go through team and league approval so we’re stuck with it until they decide to take another crack which, with all the time “research and development” takes would probably be 2023-24 at the earliest. Theres no backing out once it gets into the production phase of things

Of course, research and development in reality should be about a 15 minute conversation with actual Jersey fans and not assumptions of what a New Jersey fan is supposed to be. 

I think they will be officially announced this week.  Likely on Friday as part of a "Black Friday" launch since our empty suits think they are so clever.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

29 minutes ago, DevsMan84 said:

I think they will be officially announced this week.  Likely on Friday as part of a "Black Friday" launch since our empty suits think they are so clever.

Ugh. I could just see that scene, one of them thinking that up and then they all go to lunch talking about how brilliant they are. 

1 hour ago, Devil Dan 56 said:

Re:  the bolded, you of course are 100% right...guess just once, I'd like to see an organization admit that it's made a huge mistake and simply do everything in its power to stop something disastrous before it has a chance to happen.  I had a friend who was engaged to be married, the wedding was two weeks away...and he finally realized "What the HELL am I doing?!  This is not the woman for me; I am not going to be happy!", and called the whole thing off.  Met someone years later who he did marry and they're still married to this day (with a couple of kids in tow).  Very loose comparison here of course, but it would be nice if there was a way to get out of this thing, even if it cost the franchise some money.

But let's face it, outside of the Heritage and RR jerseys (heavily based off previous templates to begin with), this ownership hasn't exactly been nailing jersey designs.  The Adidas jerseys, even though we've gotten used to them, were a downgrade over the previous design...and left to their own devices, the Dev-oji probably would've replaced the classic Devils logo...whoever stepped in and realized what a bad idea that was, thank you immensely!  And this black Jersey jersey...

Seriously, it's gotten to the point that from now on, they should narrow down potential designs to 3 or 4, and then share them with the fanbase, to get feedback (yes, there will always be douches who will be silly and not very helpful), and get an idea what designs-in-progress are working, and which ones aren't.  If they had one or two jerseys with more of a classic layout (complete with familiar stripes and the Devils logo in recognizable form), and then the Jersey jersey shown too, fans would've immediately rejected that design...then the "braintrust" could've at least been given enough direction to come up with something that wasn't a complete trainwreck of a dumpster fire.  Not that fans need to be consulted on every last thing, but clearly this group (who thinks homages to the Rockies, Scouts, and the Newark fvcking BULLDOGS merit importance, even though most fans know little and couldn't care less about ANY of those teams) needs guidance from the people who, ya know, actually follow and love the team. 

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, Devil Dan 56 said:

Ugh. I could just see that scene, one of them thinking that up and then they all go to lunch talking about how brilliant they are. 

I picture a bunch of Harry Ellises (Die Hard), Bill Lumberghs, and Marvs (from Wall Street) all slapping each other on the back and high-fiving at how clever they all are, and how they all absolutely put this one "through the uprights".  

• Haha 1

Just now, DevsMan84 said:

Call me completely crazy, but the more I look at these jerseys the more I think they may actually slide into the "they're meh" category after we see them on the players.

Boring and uninspired is how I have seen them all along. They aren't downright ugly like some teams past jerseys. Just absolutely not something I'd ever spend any money on or wear. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Satans Hockey said:

Boring and uninspired is how I have seen them all along. They aren't downright ugly like some teams past jerseys. Just absolutely not something I'd ever spend any money on or wear. 

I think that if they add a little more red to it whether it be more on the logo or a stripe or two, they would be more palatable.

16 minutes ago, DevsMan84 said:

I think that if they add a little more red to it whether it be more on the logo or a stripe or two, they would be more palatable.

The fact our primary color is so minimalized on them adds on to the already massive amount of disappointment I have with the trash "logo" and the stupid Newark Bulldogs link that you KNOW is coming with the uninspired release.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

I think that’s where I land on these also. But I’ll likely buy one because I am an easy mark. 

I was an easy mark when they started doing the military jerseys, but it took until two seasons ago for me to want one cause of the color scheme and whatnot.

Its gonna take a lot of alterations to what was leaked for me to think about wanting one...

• Like 1